Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 10:10:10 AM EDT
I did search online first, but I wanted to get some ARF IL hometown advice.

The wife is traveling from Ohio to Missouri, and she has her Ohio CHL (Concealed Handgun License). It looks like IL is the only state on her route that's not reciprocal to Ohio.

I see that Non-residents are allowed to carry in a vehicle as long as the handgun is unloaded and enclosed in a case. I was thinking she'd just unload and put the pistol in a case, with the loaded magazines in a different area of the vehicle (glove box). However, I know at one time Ohio had this stupid law that a loaded magazine is a loaded gun (you could actually get in trouble for having loaded pistol or rifle mags, even if no firearm was in the vehicle. STUPID).  

So, if she has the loaded mags in a separate area, and the unloaded handgun in a case, is she good to go?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I'll tell you what, these state to state issues like this are BS. I don't want her not having her loaded sidearm at ALL while traveling, and I was tempted to tell her, "just don't get pulled over in IL.".

But, I'd hate for her to get in trouble and end up on the news or something.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

She can legally keep her hand gun loaded in the car.  Our new concealed carry law enables non-residents who are eligible in their home state to carry a loaded gun in their car.  If she leaves the car it has to be unloaded.
View Quote

This is great news!

Thanks Roadhawk!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#3]
If she is legal to carry in her home state (which it sounds like she is), she can carry loaded inside her vehicle.  She just can't take the loaded gun from the vehicle...it would have to be unloaded and enclosed in a case.  If she wants to keep it with her outside the vehicle,  and stay legal, she can enclose it in her purse or fanny pack, and have loaded magazine or speedloader in with it...it just can't be loaded if it leaves the vehicle.

We did manage to get this safe passage into the law for non-residents.

Mike
IllinoisCarry.com
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If she is legal to carry in her home state (which it sounds like she is), she can carry loaded inside her vehicle.  She just can't take the loaded gun from the vehicle...it would have to be unloaded and enclosed in a case.  If she wants to keep it with her outside the vehicle,  and stay legal, she can enclose it in her purse or fanny pack, and have loaded magazine or speedloader in with it...it just can't be loaded if it leaves the vehicle.

Mike

IllinoisCarry.com
View Quote
Thanks Mike.

When I first started reading up on the laws in IL, I was getting very frustrated that my Wife, someone who's legally allowed to carry concealed in her home state, would have to disarm just because she was traveling through your state. Thankfully, that's not the case now.

Thanks again everyone, you've just taken a large degree of worry away from his concerned husband.

God bless, and have a Merry Christmas!

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks Mike.    

When I first started reading up on the laws in IL, I was getting very frustrated that my Wife, someone who's legally allowed to carry concealed in her home state, would have to disarm just because she was traveling through your state. Thankfully, that's not the case now.

Thanks again everyone, you've just taken a large degree of worry away from his concerned husband.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mike
IllinoisCarry.com
Thanks Mike.    

Just for note... If you take any public transport in IL, CCW is prohibited.  So if you ever take AMTRAK and have to cross IL, you have to unload your gun and store it in a lock box until you leave the state.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just for note... If you take any public transport in IL, CCW is prohibited.  So if you ever take AMTRAK and have to cross IL, you have to unload your gun and store it in a lock box until you leave the state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

IllinoisCarry.com
Thanks Mike.    

Wow, that's just nuts. It's funny you bring up AMTRAK, as she was looking into that option as well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:26:26 AM EDT
[#7]
you have to unload your gun and store it in a lock box until you leave the state
View Quote

Mostly right...except it doesn't have to be locked.  Just enclosed in a case...and unloaded...Still goofy though!!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I think we are also forgetting the aloud to and able part.  Concealed is concealed and if she's getting fuel or something just make sure she has a good concealed rig.  No need to disarm and end up dead because you told her to leave it in the car.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think we are also forgetting the aloud to and able part.  Concealed is concealed and if she's getting fuel or something just make sure she has a good concealed rig.  No need to disarm and end up dead because you told her to leave it in the car.  
View Quote

No one is telling her what to do or what not to do...we are only apprising of the law which is what the OP was asking about.
You would have to make your own decision if you are going into a Interstate rest area at 2 AM if you want to risk being caught by a police officer or a thug...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No one is telling her what to do or what not to do...we are only apprising of the law which is what the OP was asking about.
You would have to make your own decision if you are going into a Interstate rest area at 2 AM if you want to risk being caught by a police officer or a thug...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .02... Circumvent the state of IL if at all possible. Or when you hit the IN/IL border throw it in a locked case & do not stop until you are out.

I remember an article interview of a high ranking ILSP comander that said regardless of the State's law regarding passage of out of state CCW holders they would arrest them regardless if they were stopped with a loaded weapon & let the Judicial system deal with it after the fact.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#11]
My .02... Circumvent the state of IL if at all possible. Or when you hit the IN/IL border throw it in a locked case & do not stop until you are out.

I remember an article interview of a high ranking ILSP comander that said regardless of the State's law regarding passage of out of state CCW holders they would arrest them regardless if they were stopped with a loaded weapon & let the Judicial system deal with it after the fact.
View Quote

There were a lot of stupid statements made during the passage of the law.  To my knowledge nothing much came from them.  The ISP will not be arresting people that are following the law.  We have not been hearing anything but good things about officer interactions so far.
I do agree with circumventing this goofy state but, I would take full advantage of being able to protect my self anywhere I can!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no reason to go to a state run rest area when there are plenty of 24 hour truck stops. I drove from Chicago to Baton Rouge two months ago. By myself. Mind you,  I was able to legally carry in all states,  armed with a Shield on my belt and a full size 9mm in my purse.  I still only drove during daylight hours and only stopped at truck stops,  as has been my practice for more than two  decades.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is no reason to go to a state run rest area when there are plenty of 24 hour truck stops. I drove from Chicago to Baton Rouge two months ago. By myself. Mind you,  I was able to legally carry in all states,  armed with a Shield on my belt and a full size 9mm in my purse.  I still only drove during daylight hours and only stopped at truck stops,  as has been my practice for more than two  decades.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, anymore, I think the truck stops are safer than the rest areas... More traffic coming/going and better lighting.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Chicago police chief also said they would be shooting CCW holders on sight, and barring fire and EMS response to addresses with CCW holders.  None of which has happened.

Locked case is not required by IL law for anyone.  Carry (loaded, handguns only) in-car is allowed for non-residents with home-state permits/licenses as previously stated.

IL law has changed for the better.  Might want to put your preconceived notions in a locked box at the HTF border.  Took a lot of work by many people to make it happen, might show some respect for those folks by acknowledging the benefits of their efforts.  More efforts are underway for better treatment of non-residents.

Far more risk in hundreds of miles of additional driving to circumnavigate Illinois than any possible risk of driving through Central or Southern Illinois via the Interstate highway system.  FWIW, since the change to the 70mph speed limit, interstate traffic enforcement seems vastly reduced and the chances of dealing with LE are near zero with a modicum of discretion.

Quoted:
at one time Ohio had this stupid law that a loaded magazine is a loaded gun (you could actually get in trouble for having loaded pistol or rifle mags, even if no firearm was in the vehicle. STUPID).  

Decades ago the anti-gun ISP administration pushed that as an interpretation of the  law.  IL SC put them in their place, probably 20 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top