Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2014 2:55:01 PM EDT
I am just getting back into firearms after a long hiatus while in school and was looking for anyone that wants to start training or shooting with me in the Jacksonville/ Springfield area. I love shooting and moving, reactive targets, steel and whatnot. I joined a sportsmens club where I live (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jacksonville-Sportsmans-Club/208242268744?v=wall), but it's mainly just clay pigeons once a week (so hard to hit clays with an AR). They have a range but you just sit at a bench for 2 hours and kill paper at a <100 yards. I would love to get out and do some actual shooting, learn how to run an AR, and shoot some steel. I am looking forward to taking a formal class but with it costing around $300 for a class and another couple hundred for ammo, gas, food, and a hotel, it will be at least the summer before I can afford to do that. I would love to get a group together and maybe meet up every week or a couple times a month to shoot and learn. If anyone has any land we could shoot on or any advice, please let me know
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be interested but I live north of Chicago.  Might be hard for me to get down that way.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:41:52 AM EDT
[#2]
A little far from you but if your wanting to get off the bench, come check us out.

http://aurorascpr.org/practical-rifle
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:18:27 AM EDT
[#3]
We are to the East of you.  We could probably work something out.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#4]
@Mustang31
I checked out your website and it looks promising, just wish it was closer. It will probably be a while before I can pony up the cash for a membership, but I would love to come out when you guys are having one of your matches and observe. Thanks for your reply

@Speedgun
You're only about an hour and a half from me and it looks like your classes are what I am looking for. Are they going to post a new course schedule for 2015 soon? Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Mustang31
I checked out your website and it looks promising, just wish it was closer. It will probably be a while before I can pony up the cash for a membership, but I would love to come out when you guys are having one of your matches and observe. Thanks for your reply
View Quote

Practical Rifle, Practical Precision Rifle, 2 Gun Combat training, and 3 gun events are open to the public.

If you’re looking to get a lot of trigger time and learn some skill based training, I would recommend 2 gun combat shoot. It is basically a pistol/ carbine class taught by FDS (Firearm Defense Specialties). We have our last class of the year this Saturday. Stay tuned and we will have our schedule up for 2015 in a few weeks. More info can be found here;

http://aurorascpr.org/2-gun-tactical

Practical Rifle is held on every 3rd Saturday of the month and is only $20 for non members.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#6]
That looks like what I am looking for, I really wish it was closer, but I could probably swing it once a month. One thing that might be a problem is the only AR platform I currently own is an AR pistol. It is 7.5 inch Rock River with a KAK can on it to throw the noise forward so it shouldn't destroy my fellow shooter's hearing (too much). Would they allow that to be used in any classes?

Also, what prerequisite classes do I need to take?

"Participants in 2-Gun tactical events must successfully complete an introductory course that will ensure that the participants have the background, vocabulary, and pre-requisite skills to safely engage in the more advanced topics that will be introduced as the program evolves.  The 2-Gun Tactical Introductory course will only be offered every-other month during the shooting season."

I see they offer a couple things in their education tab:
AR15/M4 Orientation and Gear Clinic
Rifle Handling Basics

But they also have "2 Gun Tactical Introduction"

Do I need to complete both of the education classes to qualify for the 2-Gun Tactical events, or can I come to the Introduction only, or do I need to take the education classes to qualify for the range, then come to the Tactical Intro class to qualify for training?

Sorry to sound like an idiot, I'm very new to this and want to make sure I'm prepared
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Sent you an IM...
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I am in Dupage county, and a member of ASC for now, If interested let me know I am interested in training.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Mustang, Im a member and would love to try out the 2 gun combat shoot. Please let me know once you have the new schedule up. Thanks

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in the Bloomington-normal area and am always up for training. I'm a member of a local range but it's more of a "sit at the bench and punch paper" type
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#11]
@Sogan

We should meet up at the applied combative solutions range when they open up classes. What is your experience with ARs? I have zero experience so any help you could give me would be appreciated. I'd be willing to drive a bit (1-2 hrs) if we could meet up to train/shoot/BS.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I want to train too, but I'm too broke for any classes
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I would just get used to the basic shooting g positions and overview of your weapons. Just the fundamentals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top