User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope.  Still a rifle cause of the buttstock.  Buttstock was designed to be shouldered, shooting it one handed doesnt change the design intent of the buttstock.  Where as shouldering the brace changes the design intent from an arm brace to a buttstock.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So would that make shooting a rifle with one hand a pistol?

Nope.  Still a rifle cause of the buttstock.  Buttstock was designed to be shouldered, shooting it one handed doesnt change the design intent of the buttstock.  Where as shouldering the brace changes the design intent from an arm brace to a buttstock.  

Shooting the "rifle" with one hand, and without shouldering the stock, redesigns the buttstock into a counterweight.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Shooting the "rifle" with one hand, and without shouldering the stock, redesigns the buttstock into a counterweight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and makes it a pistol, so the shooter needs to be over 21 in many / most states.  (following the same line of "logic")  Better yet, ban the ATF.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I am applying for my C&R license now... can I apply for the SBR form 1 with out the C&R and just wait to assembly it when I have both in hand?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:32:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am applying for my C&R license now... can I apply for the SBR form 1 with out the C&R and just wait to assembly it when I have both in hand?
View Quote

No. NFA Branch will reject your application (or put it in problem status) if a copy of your C&R doesn't accompany your Form 1.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Doesn't change the design intent in your 'example'.  (Doesn't matter anyway, cause pistols with barrels 16< are legal, and 'counterweights' aren't regulated in USC. . .)

The buttstock was designed as a buttstock.  Shooting it one handed or shouldered doesn't change that.  Its primary purpose was to be a buttstock.  

An arm brace was designed as an arm brace, not a buttstock.  Problem is, most folks buying it are doing so with the intent to use it as a buttstock, and BATFE finally caught on.  ATF just essentially said that their ruling is only good if the Sig Brace is used AS DESIGNED as an arm brace, and that shouldering it (AKA redesigning/remaking/intending to use it) as a buttstock - which 99% of sig brace owners are - is an unregistered SBR, as the shoulder fired weapon now has a barrel less than 16 inches.  

Not that hard to follow if you look at the definitions of rifle and pistol up in 18 USC 921.

(7) The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

Key phrase is 'designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended'.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:53:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No. NFA Branch will reject your application (or put it in problem status) if a copy of your C&R doesn't accompany your Form 1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  My C&R application only took ~3 weeks anyway.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No.  Doesn't change the design intent in your 'example'.  (Doesn't matter anyway, cause pistols with barrels 16< are legal, and 'counterweights' aren't regulated in USC. . .)

The buttstock was designed as a buttstock.  Shooting it one handed or shouldered doesn't change that.  Its primary purpose was to be a buttstock.  

An arm brace was designed as an arm brace, not a buttstock.  Problem is, most folks buying it are doing so with the intent to use it as a buttstock, and BATFE finally caught on.  ATF just essentially said that their ruling is only good if the Sig Brace is used AS DESIGNED as an arm brace, and that shouldering it (AKA redesigning/remaking/intending to use it) as a buttstock - which 99% of sig brace owners are - is an unregistered SBR, as the shoulder fired weapon now has a barrel less than 16 inches.  

Not that hard to follow if you look at the definitions of rifle and pistol up in 18 USC 921.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

(7) The term "rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

That was a joke, man

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top