Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2014 9:50:24 PM EDT
About two months ago I rescued a 20month old GSD. I had a GSD when I was a child, and I think this dog in my mind replaced that one. I thought I would be prepared for his energy level, but I am not. We have decided as a family that we are not the family he should end up with. The sole reason for giving him up is because of how much attention he needs. I work nights as well does my fiance. I just don't have the energy or the drive to keep up and give him what he needs. He is very healthy, up to date on all his shots. He is neutered. He does not show negative aggression, but does have some territorial aggression when people come to close to the house. It is more fear based, but it can be fixed. I do not suggest he be around young fast moving children at all. Has nipped two. One because she was purposely scaring him, and the other I don't know why.  May need professional help with that. He needs at least an hour a day of good exercise. He walks great on a lead, does great riding in cars, and is pretty good about being in his kennel. He is house broken, but has marked a few areas in the beginning. He has never torn up anything, but will carry shoes around if you aren't paying attention to him. He knows basic commands, but would do better with continued training. It took a bit for him and my other dog to get along, but now they play all the time together. A proper introduction to your new home and pets would be key to his first few weeks being there. I have him on Blue Buffalo dry and wet food which he loves. He will come with his XL kennel and a thick rubber stall mat I cut to size for the kennel. Any food I have left will go with him. If you do not wish to feed him blue buffalo. I will buy you another bag of it so that you can mix it until you get him over to the new food. As you can tell, this is all about him finding the right home. I truly don't want money, but I feel like I have to ask so that the wrong people don't show interest. If you can prove/show you can give him the home I want for him, he is all yours for $100. It makes me sick to think about him going somewhere that the owner doesn't understand his needs. If you are anyone you know are interested, please let me know. I would like to know what he will be used for, what type of home he will live in (lots of land etc), and how you plan to manage his high energy, experience with this breed etc. This is so that I can choose the right home for him.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#1]
perhaps surrender him back to the shelter you "rescued" him from ?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
First thing I tried to do, and they don't have room. I offered to foster him until a new home could be found but she stopped responding to me. That's all I needed to know about that rescue.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Awwwww!!!!! What a beautiful boy! Sadly, we're full on quadrupeds and our male dog is very alpha and doesn't do well with other male dogs.

A few questions and I'll ask around:

How is he with other dogs, cats and other people? Any certain sex he seems to be fearful of?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#4]
You should post in GD.  He will be found a home in no time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
What is his Name ???
I will ask my wife unit when she comes home . At present we have 2 Dags , Jackabe (Jack Russel  and Beagle ) and a yellow lab the Lab wears me out with playtime runs and runs
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awwwww!!!!! What a beautiful boy! Sadly, we're full on quadrupeds and our male dog is very alpha and doesn't do well with other male dogs.

A few questions and I'll ask around:

How is he with other dogs, cats and other people? Any certain sex he seems to be fearful of?
View Quote

He is fine with other adults in the home, and off his turf. He is under command when visitors come over. To prevent issues with children, he is kenneled. Depends on the cat. Some he fears, others he does not. Dogs, he does ok. He is very "alpha" so that may be a concern. Ignores dogs on walks unless they come at him, then he begins to bark etc etc. Once him and my other dog sorted out the chain of hierarchy, they do fine. They play 24/7. As far as being afraid of one sex over the other, haven't seen anything.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What is his Name ???
I will ask my wife unit when she comes home . At present we have 2 Dags , Jackabe (Jack Russel  and Beagle ) and a yellow lab the Lab wears me out with playtime runs and runs
View Quote

Boston. Or "Boss". If I had a big fenced in yard, I would be better off with him. Stick two or three dogs with him outside where they can't run off, and he will wear himself out. We have no yard and so it's a chore to load him up and drive him somewhere to hike. Can't walk in the neighborhood because everyone leaves their dogs outside and they just bark and bark. Makes  it difficult to have a relaxing walk if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]
If no one takes him contact Chicagoland dog rescue. I rescued my 2 dogs from there. If my fiance didnt bring 2 more dogs I would be all over this. We live Bartlett. CDR is great ask for Tracy she can help.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If no one takes him contact Chicagoland dog rescue. I rescued my 2 dogs from there. If my fiance didnt bring 2 more dogs I would be all over this. We live Bartlett. CDR is great ask for Tracy she can help.
View Quote

I just called and left a message, and asked for her. Thank you for the resource!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.gsdri.org/

I have 2 GSD that I rescued from this group.   If you cannot find anyone this group may take him as a rescue.  He is a handsome dag.  If I didn't already have two I might take him.  Goodluck OP

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#11]
i.m. sent
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have 2 GSD that I rescued from this group.   If you cannot find anyone this group may take him as a rescue.  He is a handsome dag.  If I didn't already have two I might take him.  Goodluck OP

View Quote

I will be sending them a message, thanks!

Sam3, got it and replied...thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll think about that. Some of the people in GD worry me haha
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No need to worry on this issue. FluffyTheCat has been so generous sponsoring adoptions of dogs he's only seen to members he's never met that staff approved a dog rescue for the site.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I have 2 GSD Female Rescues.  One is about 9 and the other is about 5(She was a runt and her growth was stunted living in a cage for 4 years).  I would love to see some additional pictures.  We would definitely need to let the dogs meet, as our older GSD is a super alpha, but the only dog she ever had trouble with was our younger GSD, when the young pup tried to challenger her position in the pack.  Send me an IM with additional details on how to contact you and I will pass this along to my wife.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I appreciate all the tips and interests given, I am beyond thankful. The rescue I got him from has found a good rescue for him to go to. By the contract I signed, I have to go this route. I checked into the new rescue, and I like what I saw.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Good deal.  I am glad you found a rescue for him.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll take the pup if it's not to late!
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:49:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 3 of their rescues.

Great people
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top