Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2014 12:20:48 PM EDT
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/governor-quinn-senator-durbin-amazon-100000132.html

They release this "news", right before an election, and have our stupid Governor, and idiotic Senator, there for the announcement.

**They will soon be charging IL residents sales tax.**

Shame on them for their timing, which they say is coincidental.

Well, there goes most of my business with Amazon.  I will try my best to quit buying from them, (especially on the under $35 stuff, where you would pay shipping and sales tax), because of this idiocy on their part.
I guess local businesses, will see me more often.

Any ideas on any real competitors online, that I can shop at?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow! That does indeed suck. I spend thousands a year at Amazon it seems because of the no sales tax.

I hear people are using ebay to find items but I myself havent used ebay in probably 10 years.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, that clinches one of two things for me.

1.  Move out of this state.
2.  Stop using Amazon.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I get a lot of big ticket items from Amazon.  Not any more.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like I'm switching to Overstock.

Additionally, Overstock.com has declared that it believes the affiliate program does not amount to the required minimum contact under the US Constitution and that it therefore would not be required to collect the taxes even with affiliates in a state. Overstock.com has filed lawsuits seeking to clarify that point.

Overstock.com, because of its sales volume, is usually cited as a leading example of the significance of these interstate taxation laws. It is different from another large interstate seller, Amazon.com, in that Amazon has chosen to maintain ties with and collect sales taxes in some states, whereas Overstock has cut ties and does not collect tax.

Overstock also charges sales tax in Kentucky and North Carolina.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Haven't any of you been paying the use tax you're legally obligated to pay on untaxed out-of-state purchases?

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haven't any of you been paying the use tax you're legally obligated to pay on untaxed out-of-state purchases?

View Quote

I pay any and all use taxes I feel are due every year on my returns. Oddly enough, that total has always been $0.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#7]
The use tax iirc is only $60 on the tax form, wayyyy less than the taxes they would collect from me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:31:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Just took Amazon off home screen. Have been buying elsewhere more often for a while. The novelty  of Amazons one stop shopping experience  has worn off.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I have plenty of options. Amazon won't be getting a dime from me anymore.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#10]
One more reason to never use Amazon again.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
One more reason to kick Quinn out of office.... He fucked up Amazon purchases for us!
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One more reason to kick Quinn out of office.... He fucked up Amazon purchases for us!
View Quote

Need to kick the Dick Durbin out too
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly that doesn't appear to be happening today.  I realize it's early (something like 32% counted), but WGN posted numbers that Durbin has something like 89% of the vote.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess I'll be on eBay more this time.
Been an avid Amazon customer until now.  I'll have to see how much tax is levied.

Overstock just got bumped on my Favorite.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I barely use Amazon so it won't be hard to not use it at all. Illinois the highest taxed state in the nation already pulls enough tax out of my pocket so I'll make sure to not give them any extra.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I get a lot of stuff on Amazon that I can't easily find locally or just out of convenience.  Sales tax doesn't play into it much.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top