Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2014 10:47:52 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me about the area and surrounding areas?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The town's main employer is DOT Foods, a food re-distributor.  It's always expanding and seems to be a pretty good place to work.  Other than that most of the business's in town are typical of a small midwest town.  The area around is mostly farm ground(corn and beans).   Quincy is the closest "big" town at about 45-50 minutes away.  That would be the place to go for shopping. After that it's probably Springfield at about 1.5 hrs and Peoria about 2 or so.  

It's not too far from the Illinois river for your duck hunting and fishing/asian carp killing.  There's Siloam Springs Park to the southwest that has some hiking and is open to deer/turkey and maybe some other hunting too.  

About the only event I can think of that goes on there is the fair/tractor pull.

Not much else to say that you can't see from a google earth image.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I live just south of mt. Sterling.  It's a nice little town.  There is 2 bars, several places to eat, and a small gun shop.
This area has some of the best deer hunting in the nation.  About 30 miles away is PASA park, an outdoor range that has a 600
yard rifle range.  If ya have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Public range?

ETA:
What's a quick rundown of IL. gun laws for an out-of-stater?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a "private" range.  Anyone can join as long as the pay the membership fee and sign the paperwork.
Check out their website www.pasapark.com (sorry the link isn't hot I'm posting from my phone)
The have several different matches a month from USPSA/IPSC to high powered rifle.
It's a very nice place.  I am a member there.
Are you looking to move here for work?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn't see the other part of your question.  NO ccw for out of state. I believe if you have an out of star ccw you are allowed to keep it loaded in your vehicle only. Please check the Illinois state police website to be sure.
NO NFA toys. NO suppressors.  
Guns unloaded and enclosed in a case while traveling.
We don't have mag capacity limits or bans on evil black rifles in this part of the state.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm coming there temporary for a construction projection. Coming into town on Saturday and will be there roughly until May of next year.

Checked out the website looks like I will be joining there. Thanks for the info.

Are Illinois winters cold compared to Georgia? We only have roughly 5-10 days below freezing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Pack your long underwear.  Or buy some.  
We had several weeks at or well below freezing last winter.  
It was one of the worst winters I can remember.  Do you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle?
It's not required but the county roads around here are not the best in the winter. State routes usually aren't to bad.
Are you looking to rent a place while your here?
Rental properties are scarce unless you go to a bigger town like beardstown or Quincy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Have a 4WD. Going to check on a rental on Saturday. Thanks for all the info.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#9]
No problem.  If you have any questions once your here feel free to pm me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully work will keep you busy, they dont call western Illinois "forgotonia" for nothing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Didn't see the other part of your question.  NO ccw for out of state. I believe if you have an out of star ccw you are allowed to keep it loaded in your vehicle only. Please check the Illinois state police website to be sure.
NO NFA toys. NO suppressors.  
Guns unloaded and enclosed in a case while traveling.
We don't have mag capacity limits or bans on evil black rifles in this part of the state.
View Quote

While there are a few extra hoops to jump through vs. other states, SBRs are allowed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top