Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2014 12:54:26 PM EDT
I'm currently looking for CCW classes in the DuPage County area.  (specifically, weekday classes)

I realize that there is a minimum age (21) required to obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License.  My son is 20 years old, and will turn 21 in September (11 months).  If possible, I would like to take the CCW classes with him.  My questions:

1. Is there a minimum age requirement for CCW training?  I can't find any information about that.  He has a FOID card.

2. Depending on the answer to #1, what is the expiration period of the training certificate received upon completion of the CCW classes?  In other words, how close to his 21st birthday would we need to take the classes so that he could apply for the license on his birthday?

Let me know if that's not clear enough.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm currently looking for CCW classes in the DuPage County area.  (specifically, weekday classes)

I realize that there is a minimum age (21) required to obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License.  My son is 20 years old, and will turn 21 in September (11 months).  If possible, I would like to take the CCW classes with him.  My questions:

1. Is there a minimum age requirement for CCW training?  I can't find any information about that.  He has a FOID card.

2. Depending on the answer to #1, what is the expiration period of the training certificate received upon completion of the CCW classes?  In other words, how close to his 21st birthday would we need to take the classes so that he could apply for the license on his birthday?

Let me know if that's not clear enough.  Thanks!
View Quote

I see nothing in my instructions from the ISP on age and there seems to be no expiration date on the initial training.

I suspect you'd be just fine taking the class with him now.  That said this is IL and the ISP feels free to make up rules as they see fit.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd think it would be fine
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#3]
i would wait and see if the cost of the classes might be cheaper 11 months from now. but thats just me, a cheap bastard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top