Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2014 11:48:48 AM EDT
Same old story based on same old lies and propaganda:

http://www.evanstonroundtable.com/main.asp?SectionID=15&SubSectionID=26&ArticleID=9283&TM=42302.51

“Shall the Illinois General Assembly enact the Illinois Public Safety Act (Senate Bill 3659) which would require universal background checks for firearm transfers and prohibit the sale and transfer of assault weapons, assault weapon attachments and high capacity ammunition magazines?”

The resolution was sponsored by Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle and nine members of the Board of Commissioners.

“Gun violence in our communities, particularly in the City of Chicago, is at a crisis point,” said Ms. Preckwinkle. “Requiring universal background checks and banning semi-automatic assault weapons and high-capacity magazines are simple, common-sense measures which should be enacted at the State level. This referendum will give the residents of Cook County the opportunity to make their voices heard.”

Each year, more than 1,000 people are killed by firearms in the State of Illinois, and more illegal guns per capita are confiscated in the City of Chicago than in either New York or Los Angeles. Current state and national law only requires background checks when licensed dealers sell firearms, covering only about 60% of total sales. Studies have shown that universal background checks significantly reduce the number of guns entering the illegal market.

A review of mass shootings by Mayors Against Illegal Guns found that the use of an assault weapon or high-capacity magazine resulted in 135% more victims and 57% more deaths than did other mass shootings.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this just for Cook County?   What concerns me is the buzz words "assault weapons"  without any definition of said term.  We need a state wide referendum to get Cook County kicked out of Illinois.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Left a comment; let's see if they post it:
So Ms. Preckwinkle wants to make the rest of the state as 'safe' as Cook county and Chicago? NO THANKS-if I want advice on preventing violence, I'll look for it from someone who's actually been successful at it, thank you very much.
View Quote

Larry
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#3]
If the Democrats can`t get what they want in the Legislature they go the referendum route.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this just for Cook County?   What concerns me is the buzz words "assault weapons"  without any definition of said term.  We need a state wide referendum to get Cook County kicked out of Illinois.
View Quote

Cook county and it is non-binding

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Come and take it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#7]
More rehash of unsubstantiated numbers, with the goal of misleading the general public that doesn't own firearms.

She is worse than the father and son Strogers, who were previous board presidents.
It's hard to believe that's even possible, in Cook Co. gov't.

I don't know if the board president is just naïve, dumb, or as I suspect; both.
She and her partners in crime, passed the Cook Co. $25 firearm tax, that went into effect last year, which steals money from law abiding gun owners.
I wonder where that money is going?  No doubt to overpaid public employees, getting patronage jobs.

I wish someone would ask her, and the other anti-gun board members, on camera, if they believe that gang members, who already broke the law, are going to do background checks on one another, when they transfer a firearm between them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#8]
The maths is fails in Cook County.  Reading comprehension, too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#9]
They posted my comment about kicking Cook County out of Illinois.  Take that Preckwinkle
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the Democrats can`t get what they want in the Legislature they go the referendum route.
View Quote

I didn't think  referenda in I'll amounted to much of anything
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They posted my comment about kicking Cook County out of Illinois.  Take that Preckwinkle
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will amount to a near-the-top-of-the-election-coverage story.  While the state is busy counting all the votes for Governor and Senator, Cook County will get to announce how some godawful majority of the voters want "public safety".  Political BS, but enough BS to aggravate the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Build a wall around crook county, make it a separate state and let them have their twisted vision of utopia. They can tax/regulate/mismanage themselves into bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Come and take it.
View Quote

this.

Dave W.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#16]
The FOID and regular background checks don't stop criminals from buying firearms, but put "universal" in front of it and it should definitely go away. Yea, ok.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow, they actually posted mine too (see comment from Dave Hudson)

link

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top