Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2014 9:47:55 PM EDT
I have done some googling and want to know if there are any issues with illinois and selling a gun and mailing it directly instate to a non FFL buyer? I wasn't aware this was even possible to sell a gun instate and mail direct until tonight.

Thanks, Drew
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have done some googling and want to know if there are any issues with illinois and selling a gun and mailing it directly instate to a non FFL buyer? I wasn't aware this was even possible to sell a gun instate and mail direct until tonight.

Thanks, Drew
View Quote

I'd think I'd want to see the FOID in person, unless I personally knew the buyer. But in state shipping direct to buyer is ok - Long guns may go thru USPS or common carrier. Handguns may only be shipped via common carrier (UPS, FEDEX etc.)

Don't forget the mandatory wait period. (24/72)
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:52:45 AM EDT
[#2]
As of last Jan.1st EVERYTHING you sell in state must go thru an FFL...
No private sales anymore in Illinois. I used to live there..I still keep
up on the laws...
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
up on the laws...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
up on the laws...

You should keep better track of the laws. Cause you're talking out your ass.

430 ILCS 65/3(a-10) - Any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer and who desires to transfer or sell a firearm or firearms to any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer shall, before selling or transferring the firearms, contact the Department of State Police with the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card number to determine the validity of the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card. This subsection shall not be effective until January 1, 2014. The Department of State Police may adopt rules concerning the implementation of this subsection. The Department of State Police shall provide the seller or transferor an approval number if the purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card is valid. Approvals issued by the Department for the purchase of a firearm pursuant to this subsection are valid for 30 days from the date of issue.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/foidp2p.cfm
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#4]
up on the laws...
View Quote

The only gun law change in Jan. was the reporting of lost or stolen guns and the private sale foid system.
As stated by D233 the information posted was incorrect.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe the FFL transfer only covers gun show sales for the time being.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#6]
FYI you can't mail a handgun unless you are an FFL.  Long guns are good to go via the post office.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok...My Bad...
The way I heard it was everything had to go thru an FFL..
Sorry Guy's...
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok down boys.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:44:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FYI you can't mail a handgun unless you are an FFL.  Long guns are good to go via the post office.
View Quote

Why? What's the authority for this? I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious.

I also assume aC&R holder can still ship a C&R pistol?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's only in reference to mailing via USPS. Any non-FFL mailing a handgun must ship it thru common carrier, not USPS
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The authority in this is the US post office. Look up the code the only ones who can mail handguns are us ffl's.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:07:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
That's only in reference to mailing via USPS. Any non-FFL mailing a handgun must ship it thru common carrier, not USPS

Quoted:
The authority in this is the US post office. Look up the code the only ones who can mail handguns are us ffl's.

Ah, I misread.   When K9-Bob said "mail" I was misinterpreting that as including UPS and FedEx, because I was thinking "ship" and did not connect "mail" with "via the post office" on the other sentence.  I was aware you could not ship handguns thru regular US Postal Service (but was not aware that FFLs could).

I also posted at quarter to 5 in the morning, that probably had something to do with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top