Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2014 10:33:16 AM EDT

" ........where the owner prohibits the carrying of firearms must clearly and conspicuously post the Illinois State Police approved sign, in accordance with Firearm Concealed Carry Act, at the entrance of the building, premises or real property."

This is at a local lunch spot that is very popular.

Well, I guess it was near the entrance, but it was hardly clear and conspicuous. Not on the front door and very easy to miss.

I had lunch there last week and I did not see it.

I had a brief talk with the manager and informed them that it was debatable that their sign was legal. I did not attempt to debate the uselessness of it.

Just a reminder to keep your eyes open.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I am a one issue voter and one issue shopper. Anti 2-A to me is not acceptable and I will take my votes and money elsewhere.

Dave W.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Our local States Attorney has taken the line that if he is standing outside the business at the door and cannot see the sign it is not clearly and conspicuously posted.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:10:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our local States Attorney has taken the line that if he is standing outside the business at the door and cannot see the sign it is not clearly and conspicuously posted.
View Quote

Regarding the sign I reference in the OP, if you were standing at the front door of this establishment, you cannot see the sign.

For sure, most of the people walking to the front door from the direction indicated have no hope of seeing the sign without a thorough look for it.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#5]
you see if they make the sign hard to see, they make the Anti Gun people happy because they have a sign. And they hope the pro gunners don't see it so everybody is happy. BTW concealed is concealed
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:32:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
you see if they make the sign hard to see, they make the Anti Gun people happy because they have a sign. And they hope the pro gunners don't see it so everybody is happy. BTW concealed is concealed
View Quote

Yeah, and I could have carried concealed before it was legal to do so too.

No thanks on committing that crime.

You're going to carry in a place where it is illegal to do so, when the ink on your legal CCL is still wet?

I see a sign, I turn around and walk. There's other places to have lunch.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You're going to carry in a place where it is illegal to do so, when the ink on your legal CCL is still wet?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Also, why give business and money to a place putting up a 'no rights zone' sign? As you said, there are other places to have lunch. And buy shoes, bank, grocery shop....

Larry
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1

Also, why give business and money to a place putting up a 'no rights zone' sign? As you said, there are other places to have lunch. And buy shoes, bank, grocery shop....

Larry
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Larry

Yup.

HH Gregg's Saturday afternoon empty parking lot got a little emptier after I was turned away at the door with a 'no firearms' sign.

No problem. There are other places to buy my TV. Good luck with your misguided policy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Yup. I also feel it's in our best interest to let them KNOW they're losing our business, and why, so here's what I submitted via their customer service on-line system:
Good Day,

Having purchased several laptops and computer accessories at your Orland Park store, I was surprised (and disappointed) to find that the store has now placed a 'No Guns Allowed' sign on its entrance, prohibiting those holding legal state licenses to carry a concealed firearm to do so on your premises.

Overwhelming data shows that such 'gun free zones' are inherently more dangerous than areas that recognize people's right to self-defense, and I and my family do not patronize them for that reason.

I regret no longer being able to shop at your store; the sales staff was superior to the local Best Buy, and more items were in stock. Unfortunately, I will be forced to shop at Best Buy from now on because of this signage.

Sincerely,
Larry
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Double tap!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I had some "no guns= no $" cards printed up but I've no occasion to use them yet. I'm actually very surprised at how few businesses are posted.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes but when you carry without a card its a much bigger crime, besides court houses, schools, etc. And I agree with you on going somewhere else, but sometimes you "have" to go in places that have a sign. You guys cant tell me that you always turn around oh and do not condone any illegal action.

Edit:Iin full discloser I don't have my ccw yet. I have to wait for the wife to take it with me and we may or may not be moving soon. And I am not paying the 75 buck to change my address if I can help it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes but when you carry without a card its a much bigger crime, besides court houses, schools, etc. And I agree with you on going somewhere else, but sometimes you "have" to go in places that have a sign. You guys cant tell me that you always turn around oh and do not condone any illegal action.

Edit:Iin full discloser I don't have my ccw yet. I have to wait for the wife to take it with me and we may or may not be moving soon. And I am not paying the 75 buck to change my address if I can help it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see a sign, I do a 180. Always.

There are 'illegal actions' that I'm not too concerned about. That's not one of them.

There is no way I would risk it.

The good news is that, while I have seen a few in the last couple weeks (the joint in the OP and HH Gregg), I just dont see that many signs.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ABSOLUTELY do. It's a wide world, and I'm not risking my liberty/money/reputation for something that I can take care of by driving down the block and finding another store/restaurant/bank/whatever.

Larry
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

" ........where the owner prohibits the carrying of firearms must clearly and conspicuously post the Illinois State Police approved sign, in accordance with Firearm Concealed Carry Act, at the entrance of the building, premises or real property."

Well, I guess it was near the entrance, but it was hardly clear and conspicuous. Not on the front door and very easy to miss.

I had a brief talk with the manager and informed them that it was debatable that their sign was legal. I did not attempt to debate the uselessness of it.

View Quote

On a somewhat similar topic, I was in a rest area on I39 today and there was no sign.  I thought "state buildings" were no go zones?  

Specifically
(3) Any building, parking area, or portion of a
building under the control of an officer of the executive
or legislative branch of government, provided that nothing
in this paragraph shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a
concealed firearm onto the real property, bikeway, or trail
in a park regulated by the Department of Natural Resources
or any other designated public hunting area or building
where firearm possession is permitted as established by the
Department of Natural Resources under Section 1.8 of the
Wildlife Code.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

On a somewhat similar topic, I was in a rest area on I39 today and there was no sign.  I thought "state buildings" were no go zones?  

Specifically
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Specifically
(3) Any building, parking area, or portion of a
building under the control of an officer of the executive
or legislative branch of government, provided that nothing
in this paragraph shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a
concealed firearm onto the real property, bikeway, or trail
in a park regulated by the Department of Natural Resources
or any other designated public hunting area or building
where firearm possession is permitted as established by the
Department of Natural Resources under Section 1.8 of the
Wildlife Code.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that if it's a specific prohibited area listed in the code, it doesn't need a sign.

I thought the sign was mainly for businesses that don't want guns on their premises.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:59:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that if it's a specific prohibited area listed in the code, it doesn't need a sign.

I thought the sign was mainly for businesses that don't want guns on their premises
View Quote

True Dat!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I wouldn't want to be the test case, but the regs also state that the sign is supposed to have the ordinance code on the sign as well (at least that was my take on it....I'm not a lawyer though). Of the (surprisingly) few signs I've seen around here, none have had the ordinance on it. I'm sure it wouldn't hold up too well in a court case,but I'd be interested to see how it would hold up. It would probably only fly for that one case and then the language would get changed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top