Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2014 1:06:51 PM EDT
Algonquin getting new store this fall, good news. Outside Cook County, more Guns. Whatayathink?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
No Cabella's no care.

I stopped spending money at Gander Mtn once they started selling WWB 9mm 100rnd value packs for $90 during the hoarding panic.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope they carry more reloading supplies. I was elated when Cabelas first opened, but they hit the wall a few years back and down sized. Opening in Cook County
didn't help and they are hit and miss on so many things ,that others have, that I don't buy much there anymore. 95% of my purchases are off my computer and delivered to my door. Guns off net and delivered to local FFL. Just bought powder at GATS because Cabelas appears to be getting out of it. The more competition the better.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#3]
So long as it is out of Crook  County, I'm all good for it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a cabelas guy. I go to the one in hoffman estates. They are in cook county but still sell AR's and "high capacity" mags.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:31:25 AM EDT
[#5]
gm is crazy expensive!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#6]
We recently got a GM in Champaign and whole the selections firearms and ammo is amazing compared to other stores in the area their prices are pretty much a joke. The one-man LGS I go to has better prices and better service.

I'll go to GM to look at things but I'll typically buy them elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I have yet to see something that is considered a deal while in GM. in order to open one in Algonquin they must be competitive with GAT and Cabelas, even GAT lowered their prices on 5.56 to $7.99 a box which I was amazed to see when I walked in yesterday knowing how they are always over priced on everything.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]
We got a Gander in Springfield about 6 years ago.  At first it was AWESOME because they had a huge selection and they were the best "Big Box Outdoor Shop" around.  After a few months, when all the new smell was gone, they stopped stocking their shelves with a lot of the selection they started with.  

Now, not only are they expensive, you can't find what you need.  Scheels opened recently (last couple years or so) and are still going strong.  They have better prices, better selection, and better service.  Hope your Gander is better........but when it starts to suck, come on down to Springfield and check out Scheels.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The Gander Mountain in Joliet/Plainfield is essentially a showroom; they have stuff, and especially ammo, but it might as well just be on display, rather than for sale, since their prices are so insane.

Larry
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#10]
As everyone else has stated, there wayyyyy to expensive!
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell, if I want to buy ammo I go to the Farm and Fleet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I went to the opening of this GM store in Algonquin today, and they have some friendly folks at the gun counter.
I didn't really look at anything but pistols, as far as firearms were concerned, look was all I did.
Their prices on almost everything, are just so high, I spent only about 15 min., in the store, and I wasn't the only one.
Very few were buying, and most were grumbling, about the prices, especially at the store's grand opening.
Supply was there on a lot of stuff, which was a plus, but I didn't see any .22lr.  Maybe I missed it.

As a whole, I like the store, but they have to be more proactive and competitive, with their pricing.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:43:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Tried the Champaign store three times and was not waited on.  Higher than Hell should be the new name.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#14]
The Geneva store always looks like a ghost town.  It's a shame, the real GM in Wilmot was a great store.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We recently got a GM in Champaign and whole the selections firearms and ammo is amazing compared to other stores in the area their prices are pretty much a joke. The one-man LGS I go to has better prices and better service.

View Quote

Who is the one-man LGS you speak of? I no longer live in CU, but I grew up there and still have friends and family there.....and a good LGS is always good to know about.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#17]
10 or 15 years ago I used to shop at the Peoria Gander exclusively for my needs, especially waterfowl equipment.  

Now they don't even cross my mind when thinking of buying anything new.

But Bass Pro is the same way.....31 bucks for powder, 5 bucks for 100 primers, etc....no thanks.  No idea who shops at these places.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Who is the one-man LGS you speak of? I no longer live in CU, but I grew up there and still have friends and family there.....and a good LGS is always good to know about.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dave's Firearms out on 150 just outside of Urbana.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top