Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2014 7:28:02 AM EDT
I finished my build and over the weekend i tested and shot it for the first time at my fathers place in indiana.  Everything worked great and now im looking for a place closer to home to shoot.  I live in elgin and work in hoffman estates.  I was looking at gat and on target as they seem to be the closest to me.  

I was looking for opinions of these two ranges or suggestions for another.  One of my concerns is bringing non shooters with me, at on target i see on their site that you can share a lane, i didnt see this on gat's site.  Any other insites to range operations would be great.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I've lived in  Barrington for 40 years. GATS has finally got some good competition in On Target. GATS won't let you shoot handgun on their 75 yard range., On target will on their 50'yard. I became a member for that reason and took my CCW class there. McMiller range is about an hour NW of us, google it.  Great outdoor facility out to 200 yards. They'll let me shoot my scoped hand cannons during the week when light crowds are the norm. If you're looking for a private club St Charles Sportsman's club is a great organization they allow most shooting disciplines. 25 yard hand gun and 100 yard rifle, I'm a member there. Many great venues if you know where to look.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:36:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I love On Target. I'm a member. I've shared a lane several times, including with non FOID holding new shooters. You can shpt pistols on the rifle range, there just aren't any distance markers like on the pistol range.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I cant justify paying the prices those places charge hourly to shoot.

I like shooting at McMillers outdoor range for $14 per day. Its still cheaper to drive there and back, and shoot for a few hours than it is to pay for 2 hours at GAT.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't used GAT's rifle range, but I've been pistol shooting there a number of times.  I've been hoping to get there to shoot my AR.  On Target is closer to me, but I've only been there once, to shoot the AR. I liked it a lot, but I was mildly annoyed when they told me my range time was up even though nobody else was on the range.  I've had that happen at other ranges, but only when the place is busy and there's a wait to get inside.  I'll definitely go back, but I'll make sure my mags are preloaded.

McMiller is a great range.  I love driving down the long entry road and hearing the pop-pop-pop of firearms growing louder as you get closer.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:43:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies, st Charles. Club looks interesting but i dont know a member nor do i have the cash to throw down for a membership atm.  On target seems to be the winner for now,  mcmiller is a bit far for me for casual shooting ( about an hour and a half from my house per google).
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish someone would do a 100yd indoor, that is "good enough" for most rifle shooters.

I go to GAT now and then and they are close at 75, I haven't shot a pistol there yet.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#7]

are there low height lanes at on target? I need to sit down with my savage mk2 and shoot the arfcom moa all day long challenge!

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't used GAT's rifle range, but I've been pistol shooting there a number of times.  I've been hoping to get there to shoot my AR.  On Target is closer to me, but I've only been there once, to shoot the AR. I liked it a lot, but I was mildly annoyed when they told me my range time was up even though nobody else was on the range.  I've had that happen at other ranges, but only when the place is busy and there's a wait to get inside.  I'll definitely go back, but I'll make sure my mags are preloaded.

McMiller is a great range.  I love driving down the long entry road and hearing the pop-pop-pop of firearms growing louder as you get closer.
View Quote

GAT respectfully told me my hour was up and respectfully offered if I want to pay for another hour.

Article 2 on a weekday before lunch leaves you alone, past 1 hr rental.  I know the mixed review about this place, but, sometimes, some of us like to "meditate" for more than an hour.

I just wish the Customer Service would just get better.  I've witnessed new customers being ridicule by their staff. I've never experienced it myself.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:45:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

GAT respectfully told me my hour was up and respectfully offered if I want to pay for another hour.

Article 2 on a weekday before lunch leaves you alone, past 1 hr rental.  I know the mixed review about this place, but, sometimes, some of us like to "meditate" for more than an hour.

I just wish the Customer Service would just get better.  I've witnessed new customers being ridicule by their staff. I've never experienced it myself.

As I understand it, Article II  does NOT charge by the hour. You pay your $20 range fee and you are good all day if you want.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I understand it, Article II  does NOT charge by the hour. You pay your $20 range fee and you are good all day if you want.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not a huge fan of Article 2, but I go there once or twice a month.  I have had my share of bad experiences where the people are rude and angry.  If there was a better option for where I live, I would definitely explore it.  All that being said, I have never been kicked off the range regardless of time.  The only time restraint to my knowledge is that if you make a reservation you get 1.5hrs
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll never go to Article II again, bunch of dicks there.

I shot at On Target, in crystal lake last week for the first time and they were great. They were nice, helpful, and all around great. They are my new go to range.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I like shooting at Rink's gun and sport on Archer ave. in Lockport, it's tiny and dimly lit but it has an old school gun shop charm, and is the cheapest range around i know of, $9 & no time limit. I live in lombard and make the drive there over going to article 2 because the guy at the range counter in lombard is such an old crumudgeon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
are there low height lanes at on target? I need to sit down with my savage mk2 and shoot the arfcom moa all day long challenge!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1518887___ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG__Challenge_.html

View Quote

The rifle side has stools and is perfect for that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top