Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2014 4:53:31 PM EDT

FFL was recommended by the company selling the gun to me. $20 transfer sure I was interested! FFL is in dupage county while I live in crook county. as soon as he heard crook county he was all high and mighty, no high cap mags for you! is there a concise website to direct this new FFL to where he can learn the law?

handgun related

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Call the local ATF branch and inform them.  They will inform him.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Find another FFL.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
His business his choice.  Just find a different FFL, plenty around these days
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:01:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Call the local ATF branch and inform them.  They will inform him.
View Quote
ATF supposedly told him no high cap mags in crook county!

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:56:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Find another FFL.
View Quote

This. Don't even waste your time with uninformed individuals.

ETA: Send you contact info for a much better FFL to use in Dupage
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in Naperville and would take care of it

Joe
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#7]
If anyone can recommend me an ffl in dupage or kane county it would greatly be appreciated.....im from crook county and I had an ffl that I used to use but he never returns calls....

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
If anyone can recommend me an ffl in dupage or kane county it would greatly be appreciated.....im from crook county and I had an ffl that I used to use but he never returns calls....

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Was this a handgun or a long gun? Doesn't the CCW law allow high cap pistol mags in all of IL now? That's what I've been reading since it passed, unless everyone is speculating on here and over at Illinoiscarry.com. The FFL sounds like some online stores that still think IL is a high cap ban state. You can go anywhere in the state and not be asked where you live when buying a magazine, so I would just find a new FFL dealer. I'd suggest this guy: http://fflgundealers.net/on-line-auctions-by-john.html Nice guy, very helpful and easy to deal with. He charges $32, but I wouldn't go with anyone else.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:13:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Was this a handgun or a long gun? Doesn't the CCW law allow high cap pistol mags in all of IL now? That's what I've been reading since it passed, unless everyone is speculating on here and over at Illinoiscarry.com. The FFL sounds like some online stores that still think IL is a high cap ban state. You can go anywhere in the state and not be asked where you live when buying a magazine, so I would just find a new FFL dealer. I'd suggest this guy: http://fflgundealers.net/on-line-auctions-by-john.html Nice guy, very helpful and easy to deal with. He charges $32, but I wouldn't go with anyone else.
View Quote

This right here!

John is a great guy.
Been using him exclusively for 6yrs.
Very helpful and knows his stuff.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I will vouch for John, he's a real good guy. Yeah the fee is a bit more, but I'd say it's worth it. He's always a pleasure to do business with. I'm in SW Cook County and I have never had any issues regarding my location with him.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#12]
There's a guy a few posts up who says he can take care of it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:08:19 AM EDT
[#13]
There is a ban in cook county and many many many dealers, manufacturers and vendors will not sell various items in Cook County due to this ban. Blair Holt Assault Weapon ban. However even though there is a ban, the ban has never been enforced and is being challenged in court by the NRA due to its' constitutional infringement.  

Article 2 probably won't have a problem and they charge $50 for a transfer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

There is a ban in cook county and many many many dealers, manufacturers and vendors will not sell various items in Cook County due to this ban. Blair Holt Assault Weapon ban. However even though there is a ban, the ban has never been enforced and is being challenged in court by the NRA due to its' constitutional infringement.  

View Quote
Please point out what towns have a high capacity magazine ban. I'll wait!

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Franklin Park, Oak Park, Riverdale

Bans only apply to long guns because of state preemption of local handgun laws.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOl Thanks for waiting. WTF?

Cook County, Illinois:  Cannot more than 10 round magazine

Oak Park Illinois:  Cannot more than 10 round magazine

Chicago, Illinois:  Cannot more than 12 round magazine

Aurora, Illinois:  Cannot more than 15 round magazine

Cicero, Illinois:  Cannot more than 15 round magazine

Franklin Park, Illinois:  Cannot more than 16 round magazine

Quoted:

Yes my opinion is bans only apply to long guns. Chicago disagrees however.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#18]
It also depends on what town in Cook. I know Lyons does not follow the Cook ban and does not have it's own ban on magazines or configurations as one example. It really depends on where you live.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#19]
What happened to statewide preemption with the new CCW law?  Thought all these bans went bye bye?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What happened to statewide preemption with the new CCW law?  Thought all these bans went bye bye?
View Quote

Only for handgun mags. It doesn't mean Chicago, Cook or some towns will know or give a damn though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Only for handgun mags. It doesn't mean Chicago, Cook or some towns will know or give a damn though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, I just skimmed the law, searching on the keywords of "ammunition, magazine, clips" and could find nothing relating to regulation or non-regulation of them.  Preemption only affects pistols, as you stated.

So basically, since there's nothing about magazines/clips in the law, I guess those bans are still in effect?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Actually, I just skimmed the law, searching on the keywords of "ammunition, magazine, clips" and could find nothing relating to regulation or non-regulation of them.  Preemption only affects pistols, as you stated.

So basically, since there's nothing about magazines/clips in the law, I guess those bans are still in effect?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Debatable.

The case law will be determined by the first person to be arrested in Chicago for a hi-cap mag.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check this out: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38460

It's debatable in Chicago and some areas because they don't follow any laws but the ones they come up with. Some towns opted out by passing new laws to counter act the CCW preemption. Basically, Illinois is still a jigsaw puzzle on where you can do this or that, with or without a carry license.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Basically, Illinois is still a jigsaw puzzle on where you can do this or that, with or without a carry license.
View Quote

This statement is totally wrong.

Preemption means preemption on carry and transportation.  There are some murky areas but this isn't one of them....There are still some areas with "assault weapons bans" but that is the only puzzle that is left.  

You can concealed carry the same guns and ammo in Cairo and Chicago and you can transport any gun combination that is legal to transport in Cairo in Chicago too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cicero, Illinois:  Cannot more than 15 round magazine

Franklin Park, Illinois:  Cannot more than 16 round magazine

Quoted:

Yes my opinion is bans only apply to long guns. Chicago disagrees however.  

all rifle related.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:21:00 AM EDT
[#26]
What was the name of the FFL in Dupage that refused the transfer?

Also contact Village Sports in Arlington Heights (corner of Central and Busse) about the transfer. I believe he'll take care of you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Preemption means preemption on carry and transportation.  There are some murky areas but this isn't one of them....There are still some areas with "assault weapons bans" but that is the only puzzle that is left.  

You can concealed carry the same guns and ammo in Cairo and Chicago and you can transport any gun combination that is legal to transport in Cairo in Chicago too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Basically, Illinois is still a jigsaw puzzle on where you can do this or that, with or without a carry license.

I don't think my statement is wrong at all with signs being posted all over, restrictions on where you can carry other than the obvious places and towns that don't care what the law says and will do what they want like they always have. I don't have a license yet, but I've seen enough signs and visit enough places that I would be leaving my gun in the car more often than not. Before the CCW law, you had to have a print out of towns to avoid if you had firearms in your car and still do if they're long guns. It's a jigsaw puzzle state with only a few pieces controlling it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't think my statement is wrong at all with signs being posted all over, restrictions on where you can carry other than the obvious places and towns that don't care what the law says and 1.  will do what they want like they always have. I don't have a license yet, but I've seen enough signs and visit enough places that I would be leaving my gun in the car more often than not. Before the CCW law, you had to have a print out of towns to avoid if you had firearms in your car and2.  still do if they're long guns. It's a jigsaw puzzle state with only a few pieces controlling it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think my statement is wrong at all with signs being posted all over, restrictions on where you can carry other than the obvious places and towns that don't care what the law says and 1.  will do what they want like they always have. I don't have a license yet, but I've seen enough signs and visit enough places that I would be leaving my gun in the car more often than not. Before the CCW law, you had to have a print out of towns to avoid if you had firearms in your car and2.  still do if they're long guns. It's a jigsaw puzzle state with only a few pieces controlling it.

1.  Any jurisdiction that chooses to ignore the law will have a hard time making any prosecution stick.  If you use the "they will ignore the law" argument, you shouldn't ever leave your house...they could get you for littering when you didn't, speeding when you didn't, or talking on a cell phone when you weren't.

2.  Again...this isn't the case.  We have preemption on transportation throughout the state.  If it is legal to transport in Cairo, it is legal to transport in Chicago.

3.  Please take a typical day in your life and name the places you couldn't carry....let's make it last Friday...List them...I can see it being a problem if you are in down town Chicago but not so much in the rest of the state...The local town of 5000 has only one restaurant posted...and about 4 other businesses posted...

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

1.  Any jurisdiction that chooses to ignore the law will have a hard time making any prosecution stick.  If you use the "they will ignore the law" argument, you shouldn't ever leave your house...they could get you for littering when you didn't, speeding when you didn't, or talking on a cell phone when you weren't.

2.  Again...this isn't the case.  We have preemption on transportation throughout the state.  If it is legal to transport in Cairo, it is legal to transport in Chicago.

3.  Please take a typical day in your life and name the places you couldn't carry....let's make it last Friday...List them...I can see it being a problem if you are in down town Chicago but not so much in the rest of the state...The local town of 5000 has only one restaurant posted...and about 4 other businesses posted...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other than typical places like the post office, court houses,etc, I'd guess I've seen at least 70 signs in my town and the surrounding area, I just don't write them down and run to the computer to post about it. I have a lot of towns around me and travel through a lot more to go where I want/need to go. I don't even know where Cairo is, but it must be a pretty bad area if your using it as a reference to Chicago.

As far as number one on your list, it's still going to be a huge hassle with money wasted on your end even if you're in the right. I'm not saying to hide in your house, but I go through areas that wouldn't give a damn or know about the law which would end up having guns seized and money/time wasted fighting it out. Even some gun store owners and FFLs in this state don't know the laws. As a matter of fact, I had loaded mags in a separate case when going to a range and the ex-cop who was the range master saw them and told me I would of been arrested if I got caught with them in my car like that. I told him he was wrong since they were not in the firearm, which prompted him copping an attitude with me like I would find out how wrong I was. Here's an ex-cop who works at a gun store/range that has no idea what's going on and you think these town cops know any better where less than 5% are even gun people? Probably less than 1% actually.

Has anyone been pulled over in Chicago with a firearm in their car and no CC license yet since the law passed? That corrupt city already has the moron McCarthy ordering his troopers to take down any CC holder, so I could imagine what they'd do if you were only transporting a firearm in a car without a CC license.

ETA: I just remembered when a friend of mine who lives in Cook wrote his town's Chief of police and asked if the Cook AWB applied to them. He did this well over a year after it was passed and the Chief responded that AOW, short barrels, full auto and silencers were illegal, but he didn't know about any Cook AWB. I should have him write that Chief again and ask about the CCW law and if he even knows about it. I'm sure there are lots of towns like that which means you're left wondering which town knows about CC or transportation laws as you're passing through.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I agree there is a lot of ignorance among LEO.  However, that can be said about them anywhere in the US...We cannot live our lives in fear of being the victim of those idiots...And I will also concede that there seems to be an exceptional concentration in the NE part of the state!
The law is the law...Anyone that doesn't follow it is a criminal no matter which side of the badge they live on.

FYI...Cairo is a Hell hole at the very Southern Tip of the State.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top