Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 6:57:09 AM EDT
I need some help as to where to go next. I have a student who's application was denied due to Invalid FOID- Felony. She has a purse stolen and her identity stolen too, that person (who stole her purse) was charged with a felony under her name, but has since sorted everything out, so she thought. She has no convictions or arrest that were actually her.  But her FOID is valid. I ran it through the ISP Website and have an approval number that say's it is Valid. She called ISP and got nowhere so I called ISP today and spoke with Debbie. Debbie couldn't seem to understand that it was identity theft and it was not something my student did. She is supposed to have someone call me back but I know from dealing with other permits that is not likely to happen.

What can I do from here to help my student?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Did she submit fingerprints?

and...when you say she has no criminal history...

Ask her specifically has she ever had any contact with LEO...I mean ANY...not something she has had expunged or removed....ANY?

Has she ever had an order of protection against her???  EVER????

Has she ever received any counseling or contact with mental health workers.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If your student submitted fingerprints, the ISP should be able to distinguish your student from the person who stole her identity.  If your student has had ANY contact with law enforcement, such as being arrested for a warrant due to a crime the person who stole her identify committed, she will have to get that sorted out.  That may require researching records at the courthouse in the county where the arrest of your student or person who stole her identity occurred.

A valid FOID card does not mean someone has not been convicted of a Felony.  A student in one of my recent handgun classes holds a valid FOID and he has a Felony conviction dating back 26 years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I once got hauled off by the cops on Chicago's north side because there was an arrest warrant for someone with the same name as me, who was living on the south side.

Once they figured out that I was not an African-American, they let me go.

When I bought my first home, my initial mortgage application was turned down because of a bad credit report. So I examined the credit report with the mortgage company.

Three different individuals were on that credit report. They had the same last name as mine, but all three had different first names and different SS numbers. They never even got close to my actual credit history.

If someone other than you is responsible for something that directly affects you, they will fuck it up for certain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top