Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2014 5:38:02 PM EDT
I'm buying a revolver from my brother, he lives in Ill and I live in Mi.  I don't have a FOID card anymore, but I do have a Mi CCW, if that means anything for this transaction.  We're doing a FTF transfer, does this need to be done by an FFL?  Not to sure about the cross state line thing.  Any help you can provide is appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm buying a revolver from my brother, he lives in Ill and I live in Mi.  I don't have a FOID card anymore, but I do have a Mi CCW, if that means anything for this transaction.  We're doing a FTF transfer, does this need to be done by an FFL?  Not to sure about the cross state line thing.  Any help you can provide is appreciated.
View Quote

Needs to be done by an FFL in MI, not IL.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Federal law doesn't allow anyone to directly transfer to you a handgun from outside of your state. You'll need to go though and FFL in your state, fill out a 4473 etc.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Needing a FFL for this.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:13:50 AM EDT
[#5]
OK, thx guys, we'll use an FFL here in MI.  Not worth saving a few $ over.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As others have said, it's not legal to buy a firearm handgun in any state other than your own state of residence.  I've heard of family transactions being done on the lowdown, but have no personal knowledge of such things.  It would be illegal to do so, therefore I wouldn't recommend it.
View Quote

FIFY.  The rules vary on long guns.  IL residents can buy long guns from any state through an FFL with which it shares a border, for instance.  But the rest of the advice is still valid.  Go through the FFL.  For $20-$40 you will both remain law-abiding citizens.

EDIT: Fixing my ill-informed advice.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FIFY.  The rules vary on long guns.  IL residents can buy long guns from any state with which it shares a border, for instance.  But the rest of the advice is still valid.  Go through the FFL.  For $20-$40 you will both remain law-abiding citizens.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As others have said, it's not legal to buy a firearm handgun in any state other than your own state of residence.  I've heard of family transactions being done on the lowdown, but have no personal knowledge of such things.  It would be illegal to do so, therefore I wouldn't recommend it.

FIFY.  The rules vary on long guns.  IL residents can buy long guns from any state with which it shares a border, for instance.  But the rest of the advice is still valid.  Go through the FFL.  For $20-$40 you will both remain law-abiding citizens.

True, but FTF's without an FFL are NEVER legal between non-licensees of a different state. If the OP lived in Indiana, he couldn't buy a rifle from the IL brother without using an FFL, even though the states are adjoining.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm reading this right you need a FFL in IL to transfer the handgun.  FFL's can only transfer handguns to non-licensed persons if they are residents of the same state.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I'm reading this right you need a FFL in IL to transfer the handgun.  FFL's can only transfer handguns to non-licensed persons if they are residents of the same state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FFL required is in the buyer's state, not the seller.  The seller ships their firearm to the buyer's FFL in the buyer's state.  The buyer's FFL then does the NICS check and then legally transfers the weapon.

ETA:  The seller then keeps on file, a record of the sale for 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The FFL required is in the buyer's state, not the seller.  The seller ships their firearm to the buyer's FFL in the buyer's state.  The buyer's FFL then does the NICS check and then legally transfers the weapon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, I don't know what I'm thinking here.  

It could still be ftf without shipping, but have to go through ffl.  The seller would have to go to FFL in MI, transfer to them, and then FFL would transfer to OP.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It could still be ftf without shipping, but have to go through ffl.  The seller would have to go to FFL in MI, transfer to them, and then FFL would transfer to OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, so long as it's done in MI, not IL.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

True, but FTF's without an FFL are NEVER legal between non-licensees of a different state. If the OP lived in Indiana, he couldn't buy a rifle from the IL brother without using an FFL, even though the states are adjoining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhh, hell.  '13ers gonna '13.  Sorry for the misinformation!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:18:42 AM EDT
[#14]
The Michigan resident can also come to Illinois and do a transfer at an IL FFL.   The IL FFL calls in the transfer as normal but selects out of state transfer on the automated system.  A live person comes on the line to take the info and gives approval.

Joe
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Michigan resident can also come to Illinois and do a transfer at an IL FFL.   The IL FFL calls in the transfer as normal but selects out of state transfer on the automated system.  A live person comes on the line to take the info and gives approval.

Joe
View Quote

I don't think that's accurate.  States all have different rules on firearms ownership, this is why it must be done in the buyer's state, and not the sellers.  IL doesn't care what the rules are in the buyer's state, only their own.

Here is a good article on the law by the NRA:  http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/fact-sheets/2011/hr-58s-1691,-the-firearms-interstat.aspx
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#16]
So all those "walk in" transfers completed at the Hammond, IN Cabela's store does for Michigan and Illinois residents are a problem?

Joe

Quoted:

I don't think that's accurate.  States all have different rules on firearms ownership, this is why it must be done in the buyer's state, and not the sellers.  IL doesn't care what the rules are in the buyer's state, only their own.

Here is a good article on the law by the NRA:  http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/fact-sheets/2011/hr-58s-1691,-the-firearms-interstat.aspx
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joe

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#17]
If they are long guns, no.  If they are pistols, yes.

Quoted:
So all those "walk in" transfers completed at the Hammond, IN Cabela's store does for Michigan and Illinois residents are a problem?

Joe

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Joe

Quoted:
Quoted:

Joe

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Thx for the help guys, I drove back to Mich today with 2 long guns, but the revolver is being mail to my FFL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top