Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm 6'4" 250 lbs.

I have been carrying my Wilson Combat CQB in either a milt sparks IWB Versa Max 2 with a Beltman belt or a Galco Miami classic shoulder rig, depending on how I'm dressing.

I know there's a lot of hate for shoulder holsters, because of the muzzle sweep (among other things), but with a 1911, you have to train to safety off AFTER you clear your arm.  

The shoulder rig is infinitely more comfortable when driving for extended periods but I cannot reholster one handed yet.  This could change as it breaks in, because years ago in a different state I carried a S&W 411 in the same type of holster and after it was broken in, the gun was much easier to draw and reholster.

Neither set up has gotten me called out for printing, but then again, I'm a middle aged dude - people aren't checking me out in detail.  

Not a glock guy at all, but it seems like they've improved their triggers since Gen 1 (the last time I shot one), so I'm toying with the idea of a G19 and I'll probably get a crossbred supertuck for that and use it with my Beltman belt.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Summer shorts: s&w airweight in pocket holster.  
Winter: 1911 commander
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Summer shorts: s&w airweight in pocket holster.  
Winter: 1911 commander
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How does soft plastic ruin the finish on a gun any more than leather does?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Started with Kydex, went to Kydex and leather, now I use all leather for IWB. I've considered ordering an Ares belt (or similar), and kydex clips for warm weather wear.

Kydex ruins gun's finishes and pants; leather, not so much.

I'm fine with Kydex for OWB stuff.

You tell me, you're the plastic-bender It left long smooth lines on my bead blasted guns, left weird contact/wear patterns on my Bearcoated TRS, rubbed a lot of the black oxide finishing off of my Kimber Eclipse.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You tell me, you're the plastic-bender It left long smooth lines on my bead blasted guns, left weird contact/wear patterns on my Bearcoated TRS, rubbed a lot of the black oxide finishing off of my Kimber Eclipse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Started with Kydex, went to Kydex and leather, now I use all leather for IWB. I've considered ordering an Ares belt (or similar), and kydex clips for warm weather wear.

Kydex ruins gun's finishes and pants; leather, not so much.

I'm fine with Kydex for OWB stuff.

Who made the holster that you had these problems with? I have some marks on the bead blasted areas of my Springfield 1911, but they are just plastic that the textured metal rubbed off.  Not too hard to clean off.  I have heard of issues similar to what you have with your Kimber. I was with another Kimber... Maybe their finish is softer than what other manufactures are using?

In my experience, a daily carried leather holster will produce more finish wear because the leather holds moisture and dirt/dust/grit which then acts like fine emery paper on your gun's finish.  Kydex does not retain any moisture and and dirt/dust/grit can be blown out with compressed air or simply washed away with soap and water.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In my experience, a daily carried leather holster will produce more finish wear because the leather holds moisture and dirt/dust/grit which then acts like fine emery paper on your gun's finish.  Kydex does not retain any moisture and and dirt/dust/grit can be blown out with compressed air or simply washed away with soap and water.
View Quote

Boba knows his holsters!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you have a carry gun or a safe queen? A carry gun that's on your body daily is going to show wear. Once you get past that it gets easier.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top