Site Notices
7/23/2014 4:06:00 PM
Author
Posted: 8/5/2013 3:11:07 PM
Sparta World Shooting Complex?
This is a park so I assume it is open to the public. Is there a rifle range there?
Are there any fees or anything I should know about?

Can someone give me the scoop on this joint?

I am looking to do some target shooting past 100 yards and I need to sight in a few other rifles.
...Just wondering if this would be the place to do it as it is not all that far from where I live.
Roadhawk
From my cold dead hands...
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2013 4:05:24 PM
Here is a website with information.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/WSRC/Pages/default.aspx

I have never been there.
Brassaholic13
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2013 5:02:48 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Gunsby_Blazen:
This is a park so I assume it is open to the public. Is there a rifle range there?

I am looking to do some target shooting past 100 yards and I need to sight in a few other rifles.
...Just wondering if this would be the place to do it as it is not all that far from where I live.

No rifle range there that I recall seeing. Went there to watch a 3-gun match last year. Basically it's a huge skeet range with some cowboy action areas and nothing more.
Gunsby_Blazen
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2013 6:14:20 PM
[Last Edit: 8/5/2013 6:15:20 PM by Gunsby_Blazen]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Brassaholic13:
Originally Posted By Gunsby_Blazen:

No rifle range there that I recall seeing. Went there to watch a 3-gun match last year. Basically it's a huge skeet range with some cowboy action areas and nothing more.

I was doing some research on the place today and this is what I have found:
The folks up north complain about it being a huge waste of money because not many people go there....
I reckon the reason that no one goes there is because there are a ton of local trap and skeet clubs all over this state. Who would travel to this place to shoot shotgun sports? They complain about it being a waste of money because "gun people" dont use it. I would seriously go if they had a long range rifle range but i wont drive to a shotgun complex. I have three fairly high end shotgun ranges within a few min of where I live.

That is a total let down, man.....
Boiler4U
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2013 8:44:41 PM
There is more than just a trap range. There is also skeet, sporting clays, pistol berms for action shooting such as cowboy shoots, uspsa,idpa, and 3gun. They do not have any rifle berms at this time but are talking like they might be in the future. Or we could petition to shut it down and give a raise to state employed workers in Chicago, if the place is that big of a let down.
runner6m
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/6/2013 12:20:13 AM
Gunsby_Blazen
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/6/2013 1:44:41 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Boiler4U:
There is more than just a trap range. There is also skeet, sporting clays, pistol berms for action shooting such as cowboy shoots, uspsa,idpa, and 3gun. They do not have any rifle berms at this time but are talking like they might be in the future. Or we could petition to shut it down and give a raise to state employed workers in Chicago, if the place is that big of a let down.

huh?

that was sort of my point.
There are a ton of trap, skeet, and sporting clay ranges all over the state (at least the part of the state that i am from which is close to Sparta).
There are also a lot of pistol ranges in my area.

The point I am trying to make is that the range needs offer something that the plethora of other ranges throughout the state do not have.
Something with the name of World Shooting Complex aught to have more shooting venues. I am all for petitioning for expansion.

Then again the folks who had this complex built are probably not too keen on rifle shooting.
But, now that it is built, why not call for remedying it's shortcomings....

(I am not saying that shotgun sports are not awesome, I love them as well.... we can all agree on that I hope)

I was just hoping it had a rifle range.... that is all....
Gunsby_Blazen
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/6/2013 1:49:34 AM

"Holy Toledo, somebody had fun....."
...or, is going to have fun....
Brassaholic13
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/6/2013 10:44:37 AM
Originally Posted By Brassaholic13:

The folks up north complain about it being a huge waste of money because not many people go there....
I reckon the reason that no one goes there is because there are a ton of local trap and skeet clubs all over this state. Who would travel to this place to shoot shotgun sports? They complain about it being a waste of money because "gun people" dont use it. I would seriously go if they had a long range rifle range but i wont drive to a shotgun complex. I have three fairly high end shotgun ranges within a few min of where I live.

Yup. With all of the land it sits on, it could be the only public 1,000 yard range in the region.
bharney
InstructorMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/6/2013 11:04:33 AM
[Last Edit: 8/6/2013 11:05:01 AM by bharney]
I called the office there about a rifle range and they could not even answer the question without calling someone else.

They told me they only have a rimfire rifle range for short range shooting, and could not answer about what times they are open
to allow shooting.

Absolutely no help what so ever.

If they would build what the public actually wants with the public money they get from us, it could be a great place and very busy.

A nice 1,000 yard known distance rifle range would be ideal and I would drive down there to use it.

Like others have said before, I have trap ranges locally, so why drive there?
jeremymaddox
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/6/2013 11:21:02 AM
I'm the Match Director for Gateway 3-Gun. We have held (4) 3-Gun matches at Sparta this year averaging 70-100 shooters and a Major National 2 Day Practical Shotgun Match that drew shooters from 36 states including Washington, California, Maine, Florida, and Texas.

The facility was designed as an "events ONLY" shooting complex to cater primarily to the large shotgun matches like the ATA Grand which draws around 10,000 people to the range each year for that match alone. The range helps support the local and regional economy with the out-of-state money that visitors bring each year.

The range hosts major events for most all of the popular shooting sports including 3-Gun. USPSA, IDPA, Cowboy Action, Steel Challenge, Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays and has very active youth shooter and scholastic shooter programs throughout the year.

There are 2 World Class 15 station sporting clays courses, dozens of skeet fields, over 3 miles of trap fields, 12 short range shooting bays, and one long range (rifle) bay. I have been told that here are plans to add rifle bays out to 500 yds as funds become available.

Recently there has been a change in management that should be beneficial for the recreational shooters in the area. They had already started having regular open shooting hours for Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays and have started opening up the shooting bays for public use during certain hours as well.

This facility is pretty much self supporting... in addition to the range facilities they have a full service restaurant and event center, over 1000 RV campsites, primitive camping, showers, 3 lakes, boat ramps and plenty of open park space.

It's a great facility that is currently way underutilized. I hope to see more activity there in the future. I think all Illinois shooters should make an attempt to attend one of the many events that are held there each year to help support the facility and the continued growth of shooting sports in our state.
Gunsby_Blazen
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/6/2013 2:12:07 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By jeremymaddox:
I'm the Match Director for Gateway 3-Gun. We have held (4) 3-Gun matches at Sparta this year averaging 70-100 shooters and a Major National 2 Day Practical Shotgun Match that drew shooters from 36 states including Washington, California, Maine, Florida, and Texas.

The facility was designed as an "events ONLY" shooting complex to cater primarily to the large shotgun matches like the ATA Grand which draws around 10,000 people to the range each year for that match alone. The range helps support the local and regional economy with the out-of-state money that visitors bring each year.

The range hosts major events for most all of the popular shooting sports including 3-Gun. USPSA, IDPA, Cowboy Action, Steel Challenge, Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays and has very active youth shooter and scholastic shooter programs throughout the year.

There are 2 World Class 15 station sporting clays courses, dozens of skeet fields, over 3 miles of trap fields, 12 short range shooting bays, and one long range (rifle) bay. I have been told that here are plans to add rifle bays out to 500 yds as funds become available.

Recently there has been a change in management that should be beneficial for the recreational shooters in the area. They had already started having regular open shooting hours for Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays and have started opening up the shooting bays for public use during certain hours as well.

This facility is pretty much self supporting... in addition to the range facilities they have a full service restaurant and event center, over 1000 RV campsites, primitive camping, showers, 3 lakes, boat ramps and plenty of open park space.

It's a great facility that is currently way underutilized. I hope to see more activity there in the future. I think all Illinois shooters should make an attempt to attend one of the many events that are held there each year to help support the facility and the continued growth of shooting sports in our state.

I see...
It is a professional stadium rather than a shooting range. Gotcha...
Thanks
hotrod_sxty8
soon to unemployed Coal miner.......FUBHO!!!
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/6/2013 6:08:00 PM
Originally Posted By jeremymaddox:

I see...
It is a professional stadium rather than a shooting range. Gotcha...
Thanks

yup. I contacted them a while ago about hosting a demo for a vendor on here. It was for LEO IDNR etc and they wouldnt do it.
I also asked about hosting a competition with another vendor and I got tied up in their "catch 22" they use when ever they do not want to have an event.
which is they have the land for it but will not develop it for rifle comps etc..until they get a sponsor that will do the comp.
no company will sponsor a comp. Because the ranges are not built.
catch 22 and thats the way they want it.

Tennessee Squire and NRA member
proud member of Team Ranstad!
Originally Posted By 53vortec:
"MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Possum)"
LJ "RAAARR!"
KingC
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 12:42:52 PM
[Last Edit: 8/7/2013 12:43:52 PM by KingC]
Mustang31
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 3:39:55 PM
Quoted from the website; “Governor Pat Quinn and Director Marc Miller are proud to bring you the premiere World Shooting and Recreational Complex”. Sorry to bring politics into this, but there is NO WAY I would support anything related to that Anti 2nd amendment potato head Governor. This is clearly a political move by the anti’s to say, “hey, I support gun owners, hunters, and the 2nd amendment”, Even though he has made it clear that he wants to ban 90% of all firearms, supports registration, background checks to buy ammunition, and opposes the right to carry in the state of Illinois

No thanks, I’ll pass…….
bobapunk
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/12/2013 10:04:10 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Mustang31:
Quoted from the website; "Governor Pat Quinn and Director Marc Miller are proud to bring you the premiere World Shooting and Recreational Complex”. Sorry to bring politics into this, but there is NO WAY I would support anything related to that Anti 2nd amendment potato head Governor. This is clearly a political move by the anti’s to say, "hey, I support gun owners, hunters, and the 2nd amendment”, Even though he has made it clear that he wants to ban 90% of all firearms, supports registration, background checks to buy ammunition, and opposes the right to carry in the state of Illinois

No thanks, I’ll pass…….

With that line of thinking, you better give up your state issued driver's license as well...
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Custom Holster Maker
HercMech
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/12/2013 3:01:10 PM
Originally Posted By Brassaholic13:

Funny that people from the North would complain about anything the downstaters would do as we have been supporting Shitcago for years and years.
HercMech
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/12/2013 3:01:47 PM
Funny that people from the North would complain about anything the downstaters would do as we have been supporting Shitcago for years and years.