Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2013 2:15:50 PM EDT
Dear Mr. dawg180

Thank you for your message about the federal assault weapons ban. I appreciate knowing your thoughts about this issue.

I am not opposed to the possession of guns. Americans are entitled to own and use guns in a responsible fashion.

I stand with the Illinois law enforcement community in supporting the assault weapons ban. The 1994 federal assault weapons ban expired on September 13, 2004. For 10 years, the ban was an effective law enforcement tool that dramatically reduced the number of crimes committed with assault weapons. In 1993, assault weapons accounted for more than eight percent of all guns used in crimes. In 1995, the first year of the ban, assault weapons accounted for just under four percent of guns used criminally and by 2002, this percentage had dropped even further, to slightly over one percent. Given these facts, it is not surprising that many national law enforcement organizations, including the International Association of Chiefs of Police and the National Fraternal Order of Police, support renewing the expired ban.

In our home state of Illinois, more than 110 police and sheriff’s departments support renewing the assault weapons ban. While the ban will not totally eliminate the illegal use of assault weapons, it is an important measure that increases public safety without infringing on the rights of average gun owners.

I will continue to respect gun owner’s Second Amendment rights while standing with law enforcement officers in the effort to help protect our communities from crimes committed with assault weapons.

Thank you again for your message.

Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

RJD/ab

Here is my response:

Senator Durbin,

Quite simply put, enacting a ban will do nothing to stop the illegal use of weapons as they are already being used illegally!  All a ban does is take rights away from those willing to follow the law in the first place.  Last time I checked criminals by definition do not follow the law.

Additionally, I challenge you to provide statistical evidence that the Assault Weapon Ban reduced violent crime.  Let me amend that, please show "evidence" not cited by the Brady Center which has the agenda of banning guns in the first place.  All evidence is to the contrary, and in fact states that have enacted conceal carry laws have seen a marked decrease in violent crime.

I would also point out that if assault weapons create violence and crime, should we not see huge amounts of crime committed by police officers and members of the military every day?  Yet somehow we do not, which seems to prove that it is the mind of the offender, not the tool in his hands, that commits the crime.

Department of Justice statistics show that an American is more likely to be killed by a baseball bat or hammer than an assault weapon, or any firearm.  If you wish to reduce violent crime in the United States then I would recommend you focus your efforts on banning bats and hammers as it will have far more effect.

Sincerely,

Dawg180
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, he is confident enough in his interpretation to cosponsor Feinstein's bill. And he will be reelected handily.

Mark Kirk, on the other hand, needs to go.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not a Kirk fan.    But given the Illinois massive hypnotic fog that voters voluntarily subject themselves to, Kirk is better than durbin.   I cringe when I hear about Kirk and gun rights.    Kirk in office is better than a democrat from the machine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top