Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 9:09:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armored223] [#1]
How long did it take those of you who have gotten your stamps back? I wonder if the forms for IL are processing quickly because there just aren't that many of them yet?

Also did you send a copy of your FOID along with the application?
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#2]
would i fill out the form 1 and send it to the CLEO and then he sends it in to ATF or do I send in one form 1 to ATF and one form 1 to CLEO?
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
After about a 6 week wait , my c&r came in the mail today. Now it's time to get serious about finding a sig 556 pistol to sbr!
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
anybody knows an engraver in Chicago area?

Got my C&R today!
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#5]
my last form 1 and 4s took about 6  month so send them in and wait.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I am filling Form 1 as a trust.  do I need to put my C&R license number in the box 5? or since it's a trust, should I just leave it blank?
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't seen any mention of SBS, are they included in this new law, or are they still a no-no? Just got my C&R today so I'm looking into some new toys.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, Form 1 packet is ready to be mailed out tomorrow

what I have there:

2 x Form 1

1 x Certificate of Compliance

1 x Notarized Copy of Declaration of Trust

1 x Signed copy of C&R license

1 x Copy of full text of HB4901

1 x Copy of my FOID card

1 x Check for $200

did I miss anything?

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:57:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: battlehawk1025] [#9]
As far as I know SBS are still a no-no
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Samal:

what I have there:

2 x Form 1
1 x Copy of my FOID card
1 x Check for $200

did I miss anything?

Who did your trust?  

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Greetings from Frankfort.  The OP said to post questions, so here goes:

1. Has anyone from Will County done this with a signature from LE?

2. How strict is the ATF about the LE officer that signs being the actual "Chief" of my town / county, or even in the same jurisdiction as the applicant?  For example: I live in Frankfort, but have a Cook County Sheriff very close to me...would he be able to sign without putting himself in harm's way?

3. If I did have to go the trust route (and this is probably a stupid question), is the trust that would be needed for this the same as a typical "living trust" or something similar?  In other words, does terminology just have to be added to my trust (aka "will") to accommodate the ATF?  Or is the firearms trust a completely different type of document?

I am in the beginning stages of this (if it wasn't obvious), but am very curious.  The C&R thing seems a little "sketchy" to me, for lack of a better word, since there is nothing overly collectable about a SBR except for the fact that it's illegal for most people to own.  Not looking to get myself into a pissing match with an over-zealous LE officer, or to have to sneak around with what would most likely become my favorite gun to take to the range.  

Thanks for any / all help I can get!
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By gotfish:
2. How strict is the ATF about the LE officer that signs being the actual "Chief" of my town / county, or even in the same jurisdiction as the applicant?  For example: I live in Frankfort, but have a Cook County Sheriff very close to me...would he be able to sign without putting himself in harm's way?

IIRC there are several options they will accept for signature, police chief of your municipality, sheriff of your county, county prosecuting attorney, or judge with jurisdiction over your county of residence.  Maybe more.

3. If I did have to go the trust route (and this is probably a stupid question), is the trust that would be needed for this the same as a typical "living trust" or something similar?  In other words, does terminology just have to be added to my trust (aka "will") to accommodate the ATF?  Or is the firearms trust a completely different type of document?

It's not different but would probably be advisable to create a separate trust for the NFA items.

I am in the beginning stages of this (if it wasn't obvious), but am very curious.  The C&R thing seems a little "sketchy" to me, for lack of a better word, since there is nothing overly collectable about a SBR except for the fact that it's illegal for most people to own.  Not looking to get myself into a pissing match with an over-zealous LE officer, or to have to sneak around with what would most likely become my favorite gun to take to the range.  

Thanks for any / all help I can get!

C&R has nothing to do with SBR possession, other than the law specifies you have to have one in order to have the other.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks...appreciate the feedback and info!
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I did myself - found a template of NFA trust declaration on the web, filled in the blanks, replaced whatever state was in the template to IL, made sure that the Law mentioned in the template existed in IL - no big deal

Originally Posted By Dawg180:

what I have there:

2 x Form 1

1 x Copy of my FOID card

1 x Check for $200

did I miss anything?

Who did your trust?  

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Does the CLEO have to reside in your town/county?

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Check cashed today! let the countdown begin
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By dafro:

It needs to be the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of your locality. Your county sheriff, chief of police, or States Attorney. Where they reside is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Baker556:
Originally Posted By dafro:

It needs to be the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of your locality. Your county sheriff, chief of police, or States Attorney. Where they reside is irrelevant.

Reside was poor word choice, sorry for the confusion

I guess my question revolves around myself living in an apartment in an intolerant municipality.  I'm concerned about the logistics of registering for an SBR when i would not be keeping it at the address which is on my FOID.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd really like to know if this all works out for somebody and its all approved. From what I'm reading its going to be based on the ATF's interpretation. I want to take advantage also but not going thru the motions of getting a C&A if they push back.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By boricua2480:
I'd really like to know if this all works out for somebody and its all approved. From what I'm reading its going to be based on the ATF's interpretation. I want to take advantage also but not going thru the motions of getting a C&A if they push back.

We have had several people get there stamp back including myself..... Read the thread a little.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 1:45:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boricua2480] [#21]
I've read all 3 pages and several other sites with similar info and saw a couple people saying they got their stamp back but nobody has said they are now the owner of a SBR in IL. So maybe I'm confused on the process…once you get your stamp, then what? You're free and clear to purchase a SBR? And if so, could I purchase one from an out of state company on their website?
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#22]
if you applied for an SBR either Form 1 or Form 4, you already own it - you can not apply for it before buying it or allocating a lower with S/N to build it.

first, you buy it, dealer does his paper work, you pay money, you do your paperwork for the stamp send it in, when you get it back, you pick up a rifle from the dealer - in or out of state

if you build it, you need to allocate a lower receiver for it and when it's approved and you get your stamp that shows the S/N, you can slap NFA upper on it and be done
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#23]
batfe cashed my check, yahoo!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#24]
sent my form 1 in on the 25th. i went with the trust route. i cant even get ahold of an upper at the moment anyways so this wait wont be that bad. also just put my lower in for engraving a couple days ago. cost me $30 for a laser engraving.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#25]
care to share where did you do the engraving?

Originally Posted By Shyyyster:

sent my form 1 in on the 25th. i went with the trust route. i cant even get ahold of an upper at the moment anyways so this wait wont be that bad. also just put my lower in for engraving a couple days ago. cost me $30 for a laser engraving.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#26]
care to share where did you do the engraving?

http://www.bgunther.com/index.html
lisle, il

it was literally the closest engraving business to my house according to google. i just stopped in and they said no prob after explaining what it is and why. its going to be done on the 5th so ill post pics with the results.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Please do so!  I took it to local engraving business and they also said no problem, however they only managed to scratch oxide layer. Lower is being ceracoted now, i hope that your guy is beter!
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#28]
So for the C&R, there is a spot for the CLEO to fill out info. Does this need to be done or do I just send copy 2 to my CLEO and the other to the ATF and that's it? In other words, do I need CLEO approval filled out before I proceed or is that something the CLEO keeps for his files? Thanks for any info you guys can give.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#29]
just send the second copy to CLEO, thats it
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Shyyyster can you post a link or a copy of where you got your trust?  I'm able to get sign off from CLEO of Will county so the secretary says but was wondering if the trust route is faster or easier for me to do and less hassle.

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 10:15:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shyyyster] [#31]
Originally Posted By wmjlar15:
Shyyyster can you post a link or a copy of where you got your trust?  I'm able to get sign off from CLEO of Will county so the secretary says but was wondering if the trust route is faster or easier for me to do and less hassle.

i torrented "quicken will maker plus". then i just made a basic "living revocable trust' with all my info. once it was finished i just edited the trust name to "Name Trust" so the engraving will be easier. make sure you edit the name throughout the twenty-some pages. then i just got it notorized at the bank, made copies, and sent it away.

Please do so!  I took it to local engraving business and they also said no problem, however they only managed to scratch oxide layer. Lower is being ceracoted now, i hope that your guy is beter!

i hope that doesnt happen to mine

well just got back from the engravers. i think it turned out great. i just remembered this though, make sure your engraver has a FOID card to make everything kosher.

http://i.imgur.com/T8YoQZh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vx8Vpii.jpg
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok so I sent in my C&R paperwork. Once that's approved, I'm setting up a trust and I will be a trustee. The next steps are where I'm a little foggy. I currently have a 16" barrel ar-15 and would like to purchase a short barrel to take it down to the minimum length allowed and I've got a lower for my next build and want to buy an SBR upper for it. My 1st question is, do I send in form 1 or is it the form 4 for purchasing an SBR upper and a short barrel? Then once I get my stamp I can go ahead and place an order for each? Is this correct? Thanks for helping me understanding this.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok so I sent in my C&R paperwork. Once that's approved, I'm setting up a trust and I will be a trustee. The next steps are where I'm a little foggy. I currently have a 16" barrel ar-15 and would like to purchase a short barrel to take it down to the minimum length allowed and I've got a lower for my next build and want to buy an SBR upper for it. My 1st question is, do I send in form 1 or is it the form 4 for purchasing an SBR upper and a short barrel? Then once I get my stamp I can go ahead and place an order for each? Is this correct? Thanks for helping me understanding this.

you need to set up the trust before you send them any paperwork. youll send in a form 1 to make a SBR. if you buy one from from a person or gun shop then youll have a form 4 completed. you can buy anything you want but you cant keep the short barrel upper in the same house as any lower.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#34]

you need to set up the trust before you send them any paperwork. youll send in a form 1 to make a SBR. if you buy one from from a person or gun shop then youll have a form 4 completed. you can buy anything you want but you cant keep the short barrel upper in the same house as any lower.

The lowers both have to be engraved with the name of the trust and city/state if I'm reading correctly. That isn't a problem. The upper will be immediately installed to my fully assembled lower as soon as I receive it. My short barrel I purchase will also be immediately installed to replace my 16" barrel.  But what do you mean about not keeping the SBR upper in the same house as a lower? Can you elaborate. That threw me off. Do you mean it cannot be in the same house disassembled or thats somehow against the law? Thanks. This is all new to me in IL. I don't know anybody out of state that has done the NFA route for sbr's in their state so trying to learn.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#35]
He means that, until your Form 1 is approved and your lower is registered, you can't keep the SBR upper around a non-registered lower. It can be construed as intent to build an illegal rifle. Law or not, you don't want the SBR upper until the ATF says you're good to go. Then you can obviously keep them together...
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#36]

My short barrel I purchase will also be immediately installed to replace my 16" barrel.  

do NOT do this until you have your stamp in your hands. do not have a barrel shorter than 16'' anywhere near a non-registered lower.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Right, so once I get my C&R, I setup a trust, send in form 1 for the short barrel to modify my existing AR, and send in same info but form 4 for buying SBR complete upper and once I get tax stamps back I'm good to go and install everything. I wouldn't buy the barrel until I got my stamp for it right? And the upper I would not receive until my form 4 was approved right?
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I received my form today (i had filed on 10/1/12) and because of the new laws enacted i need either 1. a curios and relics license or 2. a valid/current re-eneacting group membership.  

I think going with option two will be better and more likely to be done in a timely manner.  Can anyone suggest a re-enacting group i could join via the internet in a timely manner for a decent price?  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By cschelk2:
I received my form today (i had filed on 10/1/12) and because of the new laws enacted i need either 1. a curios and relics license or 2. a valid/current re-eneacting group membership.  

I think going with option two will be better and more likely to be done in a timely manner.  Can anyone suggest a re-enacting group i could join via the internet in a timely manner for a decent price?  Thanks

Get the C&R. My turnaround was only about a month and a half.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 9:21:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shyyyster] [#40]
Right, so once I get my C&R, I setup a trust, send in form 1 for the short barrel to modify my existing AR, and send in same info but form 4 for buying SBR complete upper and once I get tax stamps back I'm good to go and install everything. I wouldn't buy the barrel until I got my stamp for it right? And the upper I would not receive until my form 4 was approved right?

you dont need a form 4 to buy a short upper

you dont need to be in a re-enacting group
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#41]

you dont need a form 4 to buy a short upper

you dont need to be in a re-enacting group

There are two options when it comes to getting approved as an illinois resident (as i was told by the woman at atf and via my returned application).  1. C&R 2. membership in an active reenacting group.  I figured 2 would be easier but i applied for the C&R yesterday.  As soon as i get that and mail it to ATF i should have my tax stamp a few weeks later.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for all the info everyone has contributed to this thread

I was searching around on the C&R stuff and came across this to help in filing out the forms

http://www.garandgear.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=39:how-tos&id=94:car-ffl

And got my application sent off to BATF and local Chief of Police

I also came across this for the Trust info, not sure if I will be able to get locals to sign or not, just sent for the C&R so not worried about that right now

But heres something I was reading on a Trust

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/nfa-weapons/26116-how-set-up-trust-nfa.html
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 9:31:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ryknoll3] [#43]
So from my reading of the UUW statute, you can have a rifle with a short barrel, but it still can't be less than 26" OAL?

b](7) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or[    
carries:[/b]

(ii) any rifle having one or more barrels lessthan 16 inches in length or a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches;

[b](c) Subsection 24-1(a)(7) does not apply to or affect any of the following:[/b]

(7) A person possessing a rifle with a barrel or
barrels less than 16 inches in length if: (A) the person
has been issued a Curios and Relics license from the U.S.
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; or (B)
the person is an active member of a bona fide, nationally
recognized military re-enacting group and the modification
is required and necessary to accurately portray the weapon
for historical re-enactment purposes; the re-enactor is in
possession of a valid and current re-enacting group
membership credential; and the overall length of the weapon
as modified is not less than 26 inches.

Also, how does Illinois measure OAL? Is it like the Feds, with stock extended? I have a 11.5" AR with a CTR which measures over 26" with the stock collapsed, but my 10" 300BLK upper is under 26" with the stock collapsed. Extended I am fine.

It doesn't look like the exemption covers the OAL, only the barrel length.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 12:57:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ryknoll3:
So from my reading of the UUW statute, you can have a rifle with a short barrel, but it still can't be less than 26" OAL?

Also, how does Illinois measure OAL? Is it like the Feds, with stock extended? I have a 11.5" AR with a CTR which measures over 26" with the stock collapsed, but my 10" 300BLK upper is under 26" with the stock collapsed. Extended I am fine.

It doesn't look like the exemption covers the OAL, only the barrel length.

The 26'' only counts for the (B) paragraph (re-enactors). Moral of the story, just get the C&R, makes everything wayyyyy easier.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:15:01 AM EDT
[#45]
If you have a C+R lic and want to add a shoulder stock to a hi cap hand gun is that legal. Do  you just use the serial number from the pistol and apply to change its status before adding the stock?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By LILGUY:
If you have a C+R lic and want to add a shoulder stock to a hi cap hand gun is that legal. Do  you just use the serial number from the pistol and apply to change its status before adding the stock?

you will need to receive your stamp before you add the stock.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Called in today for a Form 1 status - Check was cashed 3/19/2013, S/N is still not in the system, according to the clerk, they are 8 weeks behind on initial data entry - they told me not to worry and call again in couple weeks
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 5:22:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: myjeepsbigger] [#48]
My C&R check was cashed in late January, and I still haven't received mine.  Called a couple weeks ago and they said it's stuck in the huge background check backlog.

Edit: 5/18/13- Received my C&R today. Time to get on the NFA waiting list now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Called in today for a Form 1 status - Check was cashed 3/19/2013, S/N is still not in the system, according to the clerk, they are 8 weeks behind on initial data entry - they told me not to worry and call again in couple weeks

Pending as of May 15th!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#50]
in case any of you have not seen this video yet. its about a year old but shows the stacks and stacks of forms waiting to be done.

i dont even want to call and ask what my wait time is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VTZO3pVsAA
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top