Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

No, I know it won't require it anymore. I was just saying that I had emailed him about it (I totally did not know about the 41p stuff til the morning after I had emailed him, it was just weird timing). He wrote me back this morning saying he would sign off, so it doesn't really matter if I get it done with or without his signature.
View Quote

Well there you go! That works out well either way.

Going to sbr your 80%?
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Awhile back many folks on this thread were extremely helpful regarding C&R stuff, so I am updating with an AAR.

What: C&R in name of business because it's the only non-person-entity allowed in IL

Where: DuPage county

Timeline:

2015.09.25: mailed correctly completed FFL03 app w/ check in name of business

2015.10.02: USPS delivered to BATF

2015.10.13: BATF postmarked a license to me in my name, not the business name

2015.10.20: I called BATF and explained the issue. The gentleman accepted an email copy of the original application verifying it was a BATF mistake

2015.10.22: BATF postmarked a corrected license to me in the business name

2015.10.26: happiness

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Petes1552:

Going to sbr your 80%?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No, I know it won't require it anymore. I was just saying that I had emailed him about it (I totally did not know about the 41p stuff til the morning after I had emailed him, it was just weird timing). He wrote me back this morning saying he would sign off, so it doesn't really matter if I get it done with or without his signature.

Going to sbr your 80%?

Yessir

I didn't think about having him engrave my SBR info on it while he had it, so I'm going to send it back to him this weekend. It's going up in the trigger guard so it'll never been seen.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sendit14:
Awhile back many folks on this thread were extremely helpful regarding C&R stuff, so I am updating with an AAR.

What: C&R in name of business because it's the only non-person-entity allowed in IL

Timeline:

2015.10.20: I called BATF and explained the issue. The gentleman accepted an email copy of the original application verifying it was a BATF mistake

View Quote

Wow, that was fast.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Wow, that was fast.
View All Quotes

Timeline:

Wow, that was fast.

took a month for me as well
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Proto3:

View All Quotes

Timeline:

Wow, that was fast.

Guess I better get my Form 1 filled out and mailed off.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:37:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#7]
Quick Form 1 question..........in block 8, what do I put down as "title of authorized official" since we can't use a trust?

NVM got it fingered out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Timeline:

View Quote

What if the C&R FFL is in my name?
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By kaneljo3000:

View All Quotes

Timeline:

You'll be fine. 99% of everyone in here uses it under their name.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I was just told by a friend that has done a few Form 1's that I have to leave 4h blank. It says "Include all numbers and other identifying data to include maker's name, city and state which will appear on the firearm". But that tells me what they're going to look at if it were to get inspected by the feds. that would be the "SBR engraving" info. That's my take on it anyway.

Anyone run into that issue?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:55:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Yessir

I didn't think about having him engrave my SBR info on it while he had it, so I'm going to send it back to him this weekend. It's going up in the trigger guard so it'll never been seen.
View All Quotes

Going to sbr your 80%?

Yessir

That's a bummer but it looks like he does awesome work. Very nice!!

I was just told by a friend that has done a few Form 1's that I have to leave 4h blank. It says "Include all numbers and other identifying data to include maker's name, city and state which will appear on the firearm". But that tells me what they're going to look at if it were to get inspected by the feds. that would be the "SBR engraving" info. That's my take on it anyway.

Anyone run into that issue?

I saw conflicting views on that when I was reading. I interpreted that the same way you did, so I put First name Last name, City, IL in box 4h. Got my approval in early Dec.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I saw conflicting views on that when I was reading. I interpreted that the same way you did, so I put First name Last name, City, IL in box 4h. Got my approval in early Dec.
View Quote

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. But he was saying that people putting info in that block has caused more delays than anything else.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Timeline:

Agreed.

My motivation is asset transfer ... meaning just like the house in a trust, I want a legal entity which can outlive me for other assets .

Note that the recent change to SBR laws makes this non-person-entity approach more onerous - so anyone considering this should execute soon.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Good thing I went to the ATF's website to download a new copy of the Form 1. I had just been printing them out and hand-jamming it. I noticed on the download link that it said I had to print the first page front and back.

Forms will be going in tomorrow for signatures and I'll get my prints done next week.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been reading bother here and at IL Carry about 41P and have to ask the stupid question. When 41P goes into effect as long as I have my C&R FFL I will be able to direct file a form 1 without the need for a CLEO sign off. Is this correct?
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By QuirkyP71:
I have been reading bother here and at IL Carry about 41P and have to ask the stupid question. When 41P goes into effect as long as I have my C&R FFL I will be able to direct file a form 1 without the need for a CLEO sign off. Is this correct?
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh yeah.........Form 1 was dropped off with my Sheriff last night
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Super! Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Good thing I went to the ATF's website to download a new copy of the Form 1. I had just been printing them out and hand-jamming it. I noticed on the download link that it said I had to print the first page front and back.

Forms will be going in tomorrow for signatures and I'll get my prints done next week.
View Quote

Is this really an issue? A friend suggested I do this with my C&R but my printer is sketchy sometimes so I just printed all front face copies.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#20]
The ATF will mail you all of the forms you need and they are surprisingly fast. I think I had mine in a couple days.

https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AWDeity:

Is this really an issue? A friend suggested I do this with my C&R but my printer is sketchy sometimes so I just printed all front face copies.
View All Quotes

Just going off what they said. What I did, was print 2 copies of the front then reloaded those 2 pages and printed the backs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Just going off what they said. What I did, was print 2 copies of the front then reloaded those 2 pages and printed the backs.
View All Quotes

I don't know if they will deny it from personal experience, but according to the directions they will.  I did what you did since I don't have a printer that can print front and back.

Section 2i:
Photocopies or computer generated versions. After downloading or copying and printing this form from the ATF website,  ensure that the front and back are on the same sheet of paper. The NFA branch will not approve the application if the front and back are on separate sheets of paper.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#23]

I don't know if they will deny it from personal experience, but according to the directions they will.  I did what you did since I don't have a printer that can print front and back.

Section 2i:
View All Quotes

Section 2i:
Photocopies or computer generated versions. After downloading or copying and printing this form from the ATF website,  ensure that the front and back are on the same sheet of paper. The NFA branch will not approve the application if the front and back are on separate sheets of paper.

I printed the front then printed the 2nd page on the back. We'll see what happens. Is that not how the ATF sends the form 1 if you have them mail you one?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I printed the front then printed the 2nd page on the back. We'll see what happens. Is that not how the ATF sends the form 1 if you have them mail you one?
View Quote

I'd be willing to bet they'd come from them front/back.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes they come from them front/back.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Prints are done.

What do you put in the blocks that say "reason fingerprinted" (I'm assuming "NFA") and "your no." "fbi no." or "armed forces no."? And if I have no aliases, can I just leave that box blank or should I put "none"?
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#27]
For those of us who couldn't get a CLEO signature before this, how soon can we file for this to get the ball rolling?  I already have my C&R, but will need to renew it before July.  No biggie, though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By purevl2:
For those of us who couldn't get a CLEO signature before this, how soon can we file for this to get the ball rolling?  I already have my C&R, but will need to renew it before July.  No biggie, though.
View Quote

Probably will have to wait til July.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#29]
It goes into effect 180 days after being entered in the Federal Register and that has yet to happen.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Prints are done.

What do you put in the blocks that say "reason fingerprinted" (I'm assuming "NFA") and "your no." "fbi no." or "armed forces no."? And if I have no aliases, can I just leave that box blank or should I put "none"?
View Quote

I just pulled out my cards and looked. I put "ATF Form 1" as the reason fingerprinted. Your no, fbi no, armed forces no I just left blank. I put "N/A" in the aliases box.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#31]

I just pulled out my cards and looked. I put "ATF Form 1" as the reason fingerprinted. Your no, fbi no, armed forces no I just left blank. I put "N/A" in the aliases box.
View All Quotes
Prints are done.

Werd

Did you make copies of yours or did a copy get sent back with your stamp?
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Werd

View All Quotes
Prints are done.

Werd

I made copies of what I sent them because I didn't know what got sent back.

All that they send back is one of the double sided forms with the stamp and the examiners signature.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#33]

All that they send back is one of the double sided forms with the stamp and the examiners signature.
View All Quotes
Prints are done.

Werd

Gotcha. Good to know.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks like 41F will be entered into the Federal Register tomorrow. That means it will be in full effect on 7/13/16.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#35]
So, if my C&R is entered as a "partnership" with both my wife and I listed as the partners, I can't go the new SBR route?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Engraving is done
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Forms are back from the Sheriff
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#38]
How did everyone mail theirs off? Certified mail? Any insurance?

Crap....just remembered I gotta go do my pics.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#39]
How did everyone mail theirs off? Certified mail? Any insurance?

Crap....just remembered I gotta go do my pics.
View Quote

I just sent them standard in a large envelope so they didn't need to be folded.  Next time I will probably do certified just to know when it gets there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Another dumb question.........bear with me, it should be my last as I'll be mailing it all off Monday (Tuesday actually, since the PO is closed on Monday, right? )

Did anyone include a copy of their FOID? I figure if I'm sending a copy of my FFL, that's it's pretty obvious that I have a FOID since it's a prerequisite.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Another dumb question.........bear with me, it should be my last as I'll be mailing it all off Monday (Tuesday actually, since the PO is closed on Monday, right? )

Did anyone include a copy of their FOID? I figure if I'm sending a copy of my FFL, that's it's pretty obvious that I have a FOID since it's a prerequisite.
View Quote

Here's a list of what I included with my now approved and in hand form 1's.

2 sets of each form 1 with both copies signed by cleo.

2 sets of prints

1 passport pic attached to each copy of F1's.

1 copy of my c&r lic.

1 check

I mailed everything in a priority flat rate envelope with tracking.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By jal777:

2 sets of prints

1 copy of my c&r lic.

1 check

View All Quotes

2 sets of prints

1 copy of my c&r lic.

1 check

That's what I've got. Just didn't want to get it kicked back because I didn't include a copy of my FOID.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:25:17 AM EDT
[#43]

That's what I've got. Just didn't want to get it kicked back because I didn't include a copy of my FOID.

Thanks
View All Quotes

2 sets of prints

1 copy of my c&r lic.

1 check

Thanks

I sent the same thing so you should be good!

Now you get the really fun part of waiting
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:00:28 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

2 sets of prints

1 copy of my c&r lic.

1 check

Thanks

I know

But that gives me time to get it machined and anodized. NFA tracker says maaaaaybe May, but most likely June.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:37:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jal777] [#45]
Individual F1's are taking way less (or at least were back in Dec) than trust F1's, mine took something like 57 days after the check was cashed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:03:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By purevl2:
So, if my C&R is entered as a "partnership" with both my wife and I listed as the partners, I can't go the new SBR route?
View Quote

If you and wife hold a legal partnership business (much like an llc) it may work if you get a c&r under the name of the partnership (I'm not sure if you can get a c&r under a partnership).
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/partnerships-vs-llcs.html
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Petes1552] [#47]

I know

But that gives me time to get it machined and anodized. NFA tracker says maaaaaybe May, but most likely June.
View All Quotes

2 sets of prints

1 copy of my c&r lic.

1 check

Thanks

I know

I think you'll get it back before then. Individual form ones are looking like they are taking 60-80 days on NFA tracker right now.
When I look at the graph I get rid of all the trusts and efile so that there is only individual paper left.  The graph is really the only place on that site that I've found you can see how long a single method of applying is currently taking.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Forms were dropped in the mail.............now for the wait
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

The first while goes by fast.  Once you start getting closer to the "estimated" time when you could start getting your stamp...then it gets painful.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#50]

The first while goes by fast.  Once you start getting closer to the "estimated" time when you could start getting your stamp...then it gets painful.
View All Quotes

Since the lower isn't done yet, I don't "need" the stamp. I figure after a few weeks I'll just kinda "forget" about it and it will just show up one day.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top