Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2012 3:53:50 AM EDT
Posting for a friend in IL. I am curious if you have pistol registration in IL, and also if an AR lower would need to be marked "pistol", not just transferred as one?

Much thanks!
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#1]
In Illinois we do not register guns (yet).  We are required to register ourselves as owners.  As long as the lower is trandfered as a pistol, he should be fine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In Illinois we do not register guns (yet).  We are required to register ourselves as owners.  As long as the lower is trandfered as a pistol, he should be fine.

Lowers are not transferred as pistol, they are transferred as "other" and described as "receiver".
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lowers are not transferred as pistol, they are transferred as "other" and described as "receiver".

If he's wanting to build an AR Pistol it needs to be registered as a pistol. If it's for a rifle build (16" barrel) register it as a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#5]
a stripped receiver should be maked on the 4473 as "other/receiver"  NOT pistol NOT rifle.

if you decide you want to make a pistol you can legally do it on the stripped lower ... if you want to use  one stripped lower and swap between the 2....

build the pistol FIRST, then you can swap it out and make it a rifle/shot gun and back to a pistol...

if you make it a rifle first. its a rifle and stays that way..

thats the way the ruling reads..

but back to the point. a stripped lower can be used for a pistol as long as its a virgin stripped lower.

Link Posted: 3/2/2012 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
By that letter, if you first assemble the lower as a pistol you're okay. If you then assemble the lower as a rifle it then becomes a rifle and cannot be made back into a pistol.

When I built my first AR I had my stripped lower registered as a rifle for two reasons.

1) I was only 20 and couldn't own a pistol in Illinois

2) I planned to build an AR pistol as soon as I turned 21

When I built my AR pistol I bought another stripped lower and registered it as a pistol so I would never have to hassel with is it a rifle or pistol. I now have a pistol lower I can build into whatever pistol configuration I want, and a rifle lower I can configure how I want. Now all I have to do is build different uppers and attach them to their perspective lower.

If you friend never plans on building an AR pistol just register it as a rifle and he'll be fine. If he wants to build an AR pistol register it as a pistol. Yes, you can register it as a frame or other, but it's always easier to choose one path and run with it. If he wants to build another AR later just buy a new stripped lower and register it as which ever setup he wants to build. If the cost of another lower is the make or break cost of a build you probably shouldn't be doing the build.

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes by saying all of this, just trying to make things easier for someone trying to follow the stupid laws of this dumbass state in which we live.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you friend never plans on building an AR pistol just register it as a rifle

(facepalm)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top