Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2017 2:33:26 PM EDT
Hi, all:

I'm planning to visit Nevada and while there, I want to complete the necessary training for an out of state Nevada Concealed Firearm Permit.  I tried to join nevadashooters.com, but even though my registration was completed, I cannot respond to or start new topics and the contact has not responded.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations:

Source for the Concealed Firearms Permit training, preferably with an indoor range because of the heat.  The vendor should have either flexible scheduling or offer the class often enough to accommodate my pending travel schedule.

I do not need any other permits or licenses, nor am I seeking additional firearms training at this time.  I only need the live fire qualification and the classroom requirements.  If other stuff is included I'm not averse to additional training, but I don't need it and I'm not seeking it.

Location is flexible (as long as it's indoors and air conditioned), but I'll be coming from the east (Indiana), so the least distance traveled is preferred.

I also need a recommendation for a county sheriff's office to make my application after the training, but on the same trip.  All Nevada sheriffs may be the same, but just in case I can expect a better or worse experience, I'd like some opinions.  Also, let me know (if it's known) whether or the point of application is in a secure area (i.e. no firearms) or not.  Here in my home state, it varies based on the department.

Anything else you'd like to share that you think may help!

THANK YOU!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi, all:

I'm planning to visit Nevada and while there, I want to complete the necessary training for an out of state Nevada Concealed Firearm Permit.  I tried to join nevadashooters.com, but even though my registration was completed, I cannot respond to or start new topics and the contact has not responded.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations:

Source for the Concealed Firearms Permit training, preferably with an indoor range because of the heat.  The vendor should have either flexible scheduling or offer the class often enough to accommodate my pending travel schedule.I do not need any other permits or licenses, nor am I seeking additional firearms training at this time.  I only need the live fire qualification and the classroom requirements.  If other stuff is included I'm not averse to additional training, but I don't need it and I'm not seeking it.Location is flexible (as long as it's indoors and air conditioned), but I'll be coming from the east (Indiana), so the least distance traveled is preferred.I also need a recommendation for a county sheriff's office to make my application after the training, but on the same trip.  All Nevada sheriffs may be the same, but just in case I can expect a better or worse experience, I'd like some opinions.  Also, let me know (if it's known) whether or the point of application is in a secure area (i.e. no firearms) or not.  Here in my home state, it varies based on the department.Anything else you'd like to share that you think may help!

THANK YOU!
View Quote

Nevada has a mandatory 8hr class and guided shooting portion. I did mine at The Gun Store on Tropicana, which is indoor.    You will need to go to Las Vegas Metro PD on MLK Blvd to turn in your paperwork; you cannot mail it, must be done in person. It's a giant pain in the ass. You must bring a semi-auto greater than .380 to qualify. Do not bring a revolver unless you want to only be licensed to carry a revolver. (Qualify with semi-auto carries a revolver qualification, qualifying with revolver carries ONLY revolver).

Classes fill up fast all over the valley so you should spring for one soon.

If you can, swing out to Henderson and try to catch a class out here. Not sure who does them out this way (I have seen adverts) but you'll probably fight fewer people for a classroom spot.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nevada has a mandatory 8hr class and guided shooting portion. I did mine at The Gun Store on Tropicana, which is indoor.    You will need to go to Las Vegas Metro PD on MLK Blvd to turn in your paperwork; you cannot mail it, must be done in person. It's a giant pain in the ass. You must bring a semi-auto greater than .380 to qualify. Do not bring a revolver unless you want to only be licensed to carry a revolver. (Qualify with semi-auto carries a revolver qualification, qualifying with revolver carries ONLY revolver).

If you can, swing out to Henderson and try to catch a class out here. Not sure who does them out this way (I have seen adverts) but you'll probably fight fewer people for a classroom spot.
View Quote
I think they did away with the pistol revolver nonsense and it's just handgun now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
NV is a big state. Should we just assume you are visiting Vegas?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think they did away with the pistol revolver nonsense and it's just handgun now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That was what my criteria was as recently as 2013 when I got mine. /shrug

Quoted:
well duh it's more fun here
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Said no one that's been outside of Clark county.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mine was issued nov 2013

Which is interesting as i did actually qual with pistol and revolver but law changed before i got my permit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Don't be upset.

Quoted:

Mine was issued nov 2013
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/obomerk/20170614_095347_zpsgltouvsh.jpg

Which is interesting as i did actually qual with pistol and revolver but law changed before i got my permit.
Maybe instructor was behind the times. Wouldn't be the first time I've had a CCW instructor off-base on the current laws.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you for the recommendation!  I will add them to my list for further research.

----------------------

Quoted:
That is my most likely destination if nowhere else is a better option.  I'm coming from Indiana, so if there is a location closer to my point of entry into the state.  Most probably route it I-80.

Actually, as far as the police department or sheriff for application is concerned, I'd prefer somewhere that is not an urban area that will take a long time to accomplish the task of submitting my application.

Is it necessary to submit application in the same jurisdiction in which the training is completed, or may I go to any LEO office once I have proof of training?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:16:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't be upset.

Maybe instructor was behind the times. Wouldn't be the first time I've had a CCW instructor off-base on the current laws.
View Quote
No the law went in to effect between the time i took the course and when i received my permit. My instructor is a member here if you really want to confirm we could put up the at symbol and summon him.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:19:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you for the recommendation!  I will add them to my list for further research.

----------------------

That is my most likely destination if nowhere else is a better option.  I'm coming from Indiana, so if there is a location closer to my point of entry into the state.  Most probably route it I-80.

Actually, as far as the police department or sheriff for application is concerned, I'd prefer somewhere that is not an urban area that will take a long time to accomplish the task of submitting my application.

Is it necessary to submit application in the same jurisdiction in which the training is completed, or may I go to any LEO office once I have proof of training?
View Quote
Elko is probably one of the closest places that is likely to have readily available instruction. I've filmed with the sherrifs dept there, good bunch of guys.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#11]
OP,

Just remember that when you renew you will have to renew in the county that originally issued the permit.

-Joe
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Elko is probably one of the closest places that is likely to have readily available instruction. I've filmed with the sherrifs dept there, good bunch of guys.
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you for that; I was unaware.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe look at "Arms R Us" in the Elko area.  The Koehlers is I think how you say their name?

No indoor range in Elko.  It will be outside for the shooting portion.   It won't be any hotter than Indiana.  

http://www.arms-r-us.com

Cal Ranch store in Elko also has CCW class on a regular basis.  You can look up their number.  

The Elko County S.O. should be pretty easy to deal with.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I second Arms-R-Us in Elko.  Danielle does a great job.  I had to make an appointment with the Sheriff's office to do the paperwork though, might give 'em a call to see if you have options for that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Maybe look at "Arms R Us" in the Elko area.  The Koehlers is I think how you say their name?

No indoor range in Elko.  It will be outside for the shooting portion.   It won't be any hotter than Indiana.  

Cal Ranch store in Elko also has CCW class on a regular basis.  You can look up their number.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you, sir!  Much appreciated!

Quoted:
I second Arms-R-Us in Elko.  Danielle does a great job.  I had to make an appointment with the Sheriff's office to do the paperwork though, might give 'em a call to see if you have options for that.
Thank you!  That's a good point about making an appointment.  I'll definitely call ahead, regardless of which office I choose.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#17]
So I think I'll probably head down to Las Vegas for the training since there are so many options.

I think I also want to avoid the Clark County sheriff's office as I suspect it will be a zoo and will take a long time to get my application submitted.

I'll be coming down from Salt Lake City and probably returning on the same path.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a sheriff along the way whose department is friendly to out of state cwp applications?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:52:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP,

Just remember that when you renew you will have to renew in the county that originally issued the permit.

-Joe
View Quote
A messed up law that the Legislature refused to change.

It forbids the permission of a person to move within the state and renew a permit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It forbids the permission of a person to move within the state and renew a permit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

-Joe

None of the above is correct.  Non-residents who are renewing can take the class anywhere in the state of NV regardless of where they took the initial class however, he/she must apply in the county he took the renewal class in.

Residents of NV can take the class anywhere in the state but must apply in the county they reside in.

I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

None of the above is correct.  Non-residents who are renewing can take the class anywhere in the state of NV regardless of where they took the initial class however, he/she must apply in the county he took the renewal class in.

Residents of NV can take the class anywhere in the state but must apply in the county they reside in.

I hope this helps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I hope this helps.
So if I take my initial class in Clark Co (Las Vegas) I have to apply at the Clark Co Sheriff's office?  Or is that just for the renewal?

Quoted:
Kerry Lee in Lincoln is about as pro-gun you can get. The Sheriffs office is in Pioche and you will most likely be the only person there when you apply.
Lincoln Co sound ideal and it looks like I'll be passing it on my way too and from LV.  However, based on the previous quote/response, does that mean I have to complete my training in Lincoln Co as well?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#22]
If you are a non-resident and you take a renewal class, you have to apply in the county you took the renewal class in.  It doesn't matter where you took your initial class at.  If your initial was Nye County (5 years ago) and you are going to take a renewal class in Clark County, you'll have to apply for your renewal in Clark County.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I hope this helps.
View Quote
OK. Can you explain this law that says otherwise?

NRS 202.3677  Application for renewal of permit; fees; demonstrated continued competence required.
     1.  If a permittee wishes to renew his or her permit, the permittee must:
     (a) Complete and submit to the sheriff who issued the permit an application for renewal of the permit

While you explain the function as it should be, these stupid laws have errors in them. This is another one. The whole book is full of them!
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:27:17 AM EDT
[#24]
This is why I wish I was still teaching.

I knew the old and current statutes in my sleep.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I looked at the Lincoln Co list of approved trainers and some listed are in Las Vegas/Clark County.

On Friday I sent an email to the sheriff to confirm that I can do the training with one of his approved trainers in LV, then submit my application at his office.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I looked at the Lincoln Co list of approved trainers and some listed are in Las Vegas/Clark County.

On Friday I sent an email to the sheriff to confirm that I can do the training with one of his approved trainers in LV, then submit my application at his office.
View Quote
If you are an out-of-state applicant you can take the course in ANY county in Nevada and file your application in ANY county in Nevada.  

However, in five years when it's time to renew your permit (and things can change in five years) you will have to renew, (once again, you can take the course in any county), but to renew, you'll have to renew your application in the original county where you applied.

The only time that doesn't apply is if you become a Nevada state resident. Even then, you can take the renewal course BUT you will have to apply in the county where you reside.

Hope this helps, rhino.

-Joe

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Thank you, sir!  That is very helpful!

Quoted:

If you are an out-of-state applicant you can take the course in ANY county in Nevada and file your application in ANY county in Nevada.  

However, in five years when it's time to renew your permit (and things can change in five years) you will have to renew, (once again, you can take the course in any county), but to renew, you'll have to renew your application in the original county where you applied.

The only time that doesn't apply is if you become a Nevada state resident. Even then, you can take the renewal course BUT you will have to apply in the county where you reside.

Hope this helps, rhino.

-Joe

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#28]
UPDATE:

Will complete NV CFP class and qualification at The Gun Store in Las Vegas.
    Will submit application at Lincoln County Sheriff's office the next day.

Thank you all for the advice and information!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top