Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2017 2:35:27 AM EDT
I did a number of site searches but only turned up a thread about 4 years old that didn't have exactly what I was looking for so I thought I would start a separate hometown thread. I am looking to do some sage rat shooting next month with my brother during a break in school. I had heard plenty about the Winnemucca area but hadn't heard anything about the Eureka, NV area. It appears to have some alfalfa field when doing a quick google earth satellite recon. My questions are below:
    Has any body been through and hunted this area?
    Are the local farmers receptive to out-of-towner's helping with the pest control?

any general or specific help is much appreciated. I know its bad voodoo to give away information on your "honey hole" but I am trying to increase odds of success.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#1]
There are plenty of squirrels in Eureka.   The area is kind of "clickish" in regards to that though.  If you are willing to travel a little farther north in the county, give me a pm and I'll give you my number.  Plenty of areas around here where there are squirrels, on public land.   There are tons this year.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#2]
That seems to be the theme no matter where I look into is that these guys had a busy off season and now are boiling out of the ground. I will send PM, thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Places to shoot Squirrels are like trying to get someone's favorite  Deer spot or Chukar spot.

Put time and miles on and you will find them.

I will cut one loose for you.

Go to Eastgate, go over Carroll  summit.
Hang a left at i believe it's Campbell Creek go over the mountain and once you get over the summit there is a bowl  that opens up on the right side of the road.
There is a shit ton of Squirrels  there also watch for Rock Chucks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Just about any place that has pivots is going to have ground squirrels.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I am super pumped as this trip actually looks like it may fall into place. Thanks to all that have responded, truly invaluable information equivalent to "teaching a man to fish" instead of handing him a fish. I started working on dialing some of the rimfire rigs for the trip. I will keep this thread updated for anyone looking to get into something like this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I just wanted to follow up with a huge thank you to mevertsen. He went above and beyond to set me up for success. Sadly due to schedule issues, I ended up having to go way farther north. Got to have a couple conversations with him and he seems like a great guy to know.

Also here are a couple of pics from the aftermath of the hunting trip

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:08:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Someday..
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad you had fun.  I got your text but have been so busy I forgot to respond.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top