Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2016 3:30:11 PM EDT
Next month I'm meeting my Dad in CA (he lives in MI) He will be giving me half of his collection other half to my Brother. Will I have to do a transfer for the firearms in question since he is from out of sate? As far as I know they are all long guns.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]
you are supposed to go through an ffl, being a bordering state to nv you could at least only go through one in ca but then ca wil probably be a pain in the ass about it.

I know what i would do in the situation but will not advocate it.

here's what the atf has to say about it https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/report/atf-p-530021-best-practices-transfers-firearms-private-sellers/download
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I bet I'd do that same thing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Got it thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you are supposed to go through an ffl, being a bordering state to nv you could at least only go through one in ca but then ca wil probably be a pain in the ass about it.

here's what the atf has to say about it https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/report/atf-p-530021-best-practices-transfers-firearms-private-sellers/download
View Quote

I could be wrong but I do not believe California will sell/transfer to out of state residents
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I could be wrong but I do not believe California will sell/transfer to out of state residents
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Entirely possible, i know we are supposed to be able to purchase in bordering states but like i said ca will probably be a pain in the ass about it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Entirely possible, i know we are supposed to be able to purchase in bordering states but like i said ca will probably be a pain in the ass about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't have to be bordering. You can buy a long gun from a dealer anywhere that allows it. Some states are weird and I think Cali is one of them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#7]
He doesn't live in CA, he lives in MI. My brother lives in CA where we are all getting together. I will be bringing them home from CA to Vegas
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:27:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Unless he is delivering them to a dealer in this state it is not a legal transaction. With that updated information you might want to rethink that last post
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:56:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Kommie Kali is the problem.

Much better not to bring the guns into that state. No dealer will do the transfer there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:14:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Too bad I don't have my 03 c&r anymore.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn't change anything unless they are C&R guns
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#12]
they are, Garands, '03 Springfield, Enfield, an old 10 gauge turkey gun, not sure what else.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I could meet my Dad in Tonopah or another NV city and do the transfer right?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes if you found a dealer willing to do it for you that is the way to do it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

You could always get it again.  Turn around time on mine was only about 2 weeks.  I got it about 6 months ago.  Depending on when your visit is you may be able to go that route.

I thought it was legal to pass firearms up and down the family tree legally?  I could give them to my dad or my son but not to my brother.  Is that not a thing?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You could always get it again.  Turn around time on mine was only about 2 weeks.  I got it about 6 months ago.  Depending on when your visit is you may be able to go that route.

I thought it was legal to pass firearms up and down the family tree legally?  I could give them to my dad or my son but not to my brother.  Is that not a thing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can give whatever you want to whoever you want but all federal law still applies to the transfer. Not aware of any exceptions other than stuff left to you as a estate because it is already yours if I understand correctly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:52:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Went the C&R route. In case you are Curious he gave me:

'03 Springfield
M1 Garand
Enfield No1 MK 3 wire wrapped
Mas 36
Mosin Nagant M44 (Romanian)
and another rifle I won't name
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top