Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2016 10:33:22 PM EDT
Link to article

Nevada: Please Attend NDOW’s September Meeting to Voice Opposition to the Proposed Hunting Caliber Size Restrictions!

The Nevada Board of Wildlife Commissioners released their meeting notice for Saturday, September 24.  At this meeting the Board of Wildlife Commissioners plans to discuss the proposed hunting caliber size restrictions.  One of the proposed regulations would make it unlawful to hunt big game animals with a centerfire rifle using a .50 caliber cartridge or a centerfire cartridge with a case length of more than 3 inches.  The proposed regulation is unfounded and will only serve to arbitrarily limit the rights of law-abiding gun owners and hunters.  Many cartridges used for big game hunting exceed the arbitrarily selected .50 caliber and 3 inch case length restriction, such as the .470NE, .500NE, .50 BMG, .577NE and the 505 Gibbs.

View Related Articles
The commissioners state that the purpose of the proposed regulation is “to adapt to technological advances and limit long range shooting in the spirit of fair chase and ethical hunting practice, limit the waste of edible game meat, and clarify muzzleloader powder restrictions.”  Paired with science, certain hunting regulations are an integral part of wildlife management and conservation.  However, the proposed regulations will not accomplish the purported goals laid out by the commissioners because they are not based on sound science but instead on a misguided, anti-gun agenda.

For example, the commissioners claim they would like to “limit the waste of edible game meat” by banning .50 caliber ammunition for centerfire rifles; however, common hunting rounds such as .308 often use features such as softtips or hollow points causing the round to expand to a wound channel similar to that of .50 caliber.  This is simply an arbitrary proposed ban not based on sound science or wildlife management.  

If you are available, please consider attending the meeting to voice your strong opposition to these proposed restrictions.  To submit comment on the proposed regulations you must attend the meeting, or submit written comments to the Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW) by Monday, September 19, 2016.  Both the meeting address and NDOW address can be found below.

Nevada Board of Wildlife Commissioners Meeting:
University of Nevada, Cooperative Extension
8050 Paradise Road
Classrooms A & D
Las Vegas, NV 89123
September 24, 2016; 8:30am

Nevada Department of Wildlife
Attn: Director’s Office
6980 Sierra Center Parkway
Suite 120
Reno, NV 89511
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I could not tell by the article.

Does this mean that a 270 Win would be banned because the cartridge is over 3" (3.2") in length?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could not tell by the article.

Does this mean that a 270 Win would be banned because the cartridge is over 3" (3.2") in length?

Thanks
View Quote

Pretty sure the 3" length is only for calibers .50 and larger
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I own a .50 cal rifle...it never occurred to me someone might hunt with one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I've thought about it.

Hope this won't screw me with the .338 lm
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I read it again...and again...

Maybe they mean a case length of 3" instead of a COAL of 3"...?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I own a .50 cal rifle...it never occurred to me someone might hunt with one.

View Quote

I don't know anyone personally that hunts with a .50 BMG.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know why the County Commissioners would care about the amount of meat wasted by a hunter when it's a form of population control they get paid to do nothing about.  Seriously other than the sentence "you can hunt with a 50 caliber rifle" what does it matter what someone uses to kill a sheep on top of a mountain with?  I wouldn't ever think to hunt with one simply because of the weight, I don't own one, and the amount of skill it takes to get proficient with one.

Besides there are plenty of hunters that shoot an animal and lose it OR get a bad shot, realize it isn't what they want and leave it to die and it becomes coyote food.  At least a 50 cal would kill the thing probably 99% of the time regardless of where you hit it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Its a slippery slope... the Californicated Libtards are en-mass and occupying Clark County  ....all the more reason to vote against them this election cycle..... just phone your reps and tell them that anyone who votes to pass this excrement will be removed from office, and if they are
in  an appointed position, fax, email or phone  the RINO's to remind them of the second amendment..... Tell them to remember Colorado State and their recall elections.....   No quarter, No Exceptions!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#9]
This is referring to the case length itself as I read it.  Not the overall length of the cartridge.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

I get this feeling that this somehow started a while ago when some jackass posted his deer picture that he shot with a .338 Lupau (sp?) and literally destroyed it.  There was a thread on here about it.  It was talked about outside of this thread in the hunting circle.

There should be NO restrictions when it comes to caliber choice.  The NDOW should NEVER be allowed to make that choice for us.

Choosing the right caliber is a PERSONAL responsibility and if you need NDOW or any government agency to do it for you, then you are what's wrong with everything.

Would I hunt in Nevada with a 50 BMG?  Nope!  Why?  Because there's no way I can make it up a small hill lugging that heavy rifle.  I'd be puking and passing out after that climb.  Should it be restricted?  FUCK NO!

Oh and VOTE NO on Question 1 !!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Next will be a "common sense" ban on hunting with lead bullets.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Don't forget "comprehensive"....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next will be a "common sense" ban on hunting with lead bullets.

Don't forget "comprehensive"....

"Comprehensive Common Sense Gun Safety Measures."

And 90%, 92%, 95%, 98% of NRA members support them.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is referring to the case length itself as I read it.  Not the overall length of the cartridge.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

I get this feeling that this somehow started a while ago when some jackass posted his deer picture that he shot with a .338 Lupau (sp?) and literally destroyed it.  There was a thread on here about it.  It was talked about outside of this thread in the hunting circle.

There should be NO restrictions when it comes to caliber choice.  The NDOW should NEVER be allowed to make that choice for us.

Choosing the right caliber is a PERSONAL responsibility and if you need NDOW or any government agency to do it for you, then you are what's wrong with everything.

Would I hunt in Nevada with a 50 BMG?  Nope!  Why?  Because there's no way I can make it up a small hill lugging that heavy rifle.  I'd be puking and passing out after that climb.  Should it be restricted?  FUCK NO!

Oh and VOTE NO on Question 1 !!!
View Quote

The giy that bagged a muley with a 338 and posted pics of the wrecked front quarter really had nothing to do with the cartridge used. It was a simple matter of the bullet impacting the scapula before exiting and the bone blowing out. It would have looked like that with just about any common hunting caliber.

If anything i could see this piece of regulation as getting a foot in the door towards a ban on 50 cal, you can't use it for hunting so why would anyone need it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top