Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2016 11:41:23 AM EDT
As stated above, I have a F1 to cut a VEPR-12 down to 14" and thread it for Winchokes.  My guy is closing out his business so I need to find a reputable 'smith preferably in NV to do the work.

At 14" there should be no gas port work needed just a clean cut and thread - but the barrel is chrome lined.  I've been told that may make a difference.  Cerakoat to be added later.

Any suggestions on who would be aptly capable to do the work would be appreciated.

I'm in the Pahrump area so 'Vegas is preferred but any place in state within a half days drive will do.

Thanks!
The MULE
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure that you actually cut the barrel down as you are supposed to be the maker.  Then the Smith can crown after.

As far as a Smith that will do the work - I have no clue.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input.  Any one else?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
FYI - there is no legal requirement that you need to be the one to cut the barrel on your SBS or do any of the work yourself.

NFA items can be sent to gunsmiths for repair or other work and it happens all of the time.  The ATF "suggests" that you fill out a Form 5 prior to sending your SBS to a gunsmith but it is not required by law (especially if the NFA item doesn't leave the state):

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/repair-nfa-firearms/download

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-licensed-gunsmith-receive-nfa-firearm-purposes-repair

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) does not consider the
temporary conveyance of an NFA firearm to a gunsmith for repair to be a “transfer” under the
terms of the NFA. Thus, an ATF Form 5 application is not required.
View Quote

and

In order to avoid any appearance that a transfer has taken place, ATF strongly recommends that a
Form 5 application be submitted for approval prior to conveying the firearm for repair. ATF
believes this will provide protection to the parties involved as it will document the repair of the
firearm and help ensure that a “transfer” did not take place. In addition, an approved Form 5 will
assist Federal firearms licensees in establishing that their possession of the firearm is lawful.
However, if no Form 5 application is used, ATF recommends that both parties document what
type of repair is being performed. This may be done via work or repair order or other similar
documentation
View Quote

As far as personal recommendations for a gunsmith to use, the only smiths I use for that kind of work personally are here in Reno.  I take my guns to Andy at J&G Gunsmithing and have been very happy with their work.  If you don't find anyone else down south maybe you could look into shipping your guns up here to have the work done.  Good luck!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Rigmarole-
Thanks.  Any contact info for J&G Gunsmithing?  A website maybe?
The MULE
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rigmarole-
The MULE
View Quote

It looks like they changed their name and are now "Reno Gunsmithing".  Andy Faircloth is still the owner and they are still at the same location.  Here is what looks like their new website:

http://www.renogunsmithing.com/

Give them a call and see what they can do.

Also, if you are near the Vegas area at all, I can also give a strong recommendation for New Frontier Armory in North Las Vegas.  I imagine that they can get this done for you as well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It looks like they changed their name and are now "Reno Gunsmithing".  Andy Faircloth is still the owner and they are still at the same location.  Here is what looks like their new website:

Also, if you are near the Vegas area at all, I can also give a strong recommendation for New Frontier Armory in North Las Vegas.  I imagine that they can get this done for you as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rigmarole-
The MULE

---------------------------------------

Thanks.  I had seen Reno Gunsmithing in a Google search but didn't know if that was them.

Yes, NFA is my preferred gun store in 'Vegas.  I am going to be there next week to pick something up, I'll ask Ivan while I'm there about a gunsmith.

Thanks again!
The MULE
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Checkout M13 Industries.  They are ak gunsmiths in Vegas with decent prices and pretty good quoted turn around times.  They can probably do the work or any tuning for you and whatever things you want done to you Vepr.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
FYI - there is no legal requirement that you need to be the one to cut the barrel on your SBS or do any of the work yourself.

NFA items can be sent to gunsmiths for repair or other work and it happens all of the time.  The ATF "suggests" that you fill out a Form 5 prior to sending your SBS to a gunsmith but it is not required by law (especially if the NFA item doesn't leave the state):

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-licensed-gunsmith-receive-nfa-firearm-purposes-repair

and

As far as personal recommendations for a gunsmith to use, the only smiths I use for that kind of work personally are here in Reno.  I take my guns to Andy at J&G Gunsmithing and have been very happy with their work.  If you don't find anyone else down south maybe you could look into shipping your guns up here to have the work done.  Good luck!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) does not consider the
temporary conveyance of an NFA firearm to a gunsmith for repair to be a “transfer” under the
terms of the NFA. Thus, an ATF Form 5 application is not required.

and

In order to avoid any appearance that a transfer has taken place, ATF strongly recommends that a
Form 5 application be submitted for approval prior to conveying the firearm for repair. ATF
believes this will provide protection to the parties involved as it will document the repair of the
firearm and help ensure that a “transfer” did not take place. In addition, an approved Form 5 will
assist Federal firearms licensees in establishing that their possession of the firearm is lawful.
However, if no Form 5 application is used, ATF recommends that both parties document what
type of repair is being performed. This may be done via work or repair order or other similar
documentation

If you file a form 1 you are the maker. If someone else cuts the barrel that would make them the maker. Sending it off for repair is different than having them make your SBR for you.

I am happy to be wrong but I am pretty sure this has been hashed out.

Here is a old thread. Not the one I am looking for but a start.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top