Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2016 5:48:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Do rocket fins found in a shallow Black Rock Desert cave count?
Around 1988.

Hundreds of live (corroded) rounds of .308 and occasional .50BMG rounds scattered across the playa?
Also in the Black Rock and NOT at a range.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Driving from Amarogosa around 2am just getting to beaty i saw lights in the sky from aircraft but they were moving in ways conventional aircraft don't move.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Look into the strange disappearance of Kenny veach. A Vegas local. Went missing a couple years ago. Never found. He posted videos on YouTube and in one video he explained seeing a strange "M" shaped cave. As he approached it he felt sick and his body began to vibrate. Not having his sidearm he left but promised his subscribers he'd return. He set out a few weeks later to find the "M cave" but never returned.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:56:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I heard there was a bear at Lahontan last year.

I saw an albino raven on Tuesday in Pearsonville, CA
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#6]
In the mid-90's, my parents bought their first house off of Sahara and Sloan, this was a time when the area was relatively new and still nice (unlike now). My neighborhood friends and I would often explore the desert area and the surrounding water channels all the time. We used to see coyotes, roadrunners, and some single person homeless camp out areas all the time. What caught my eye once though was watching my neighbor walk down our street, fishing pole in hand, along with 7-10 fish (Trout?) that he caught from the channel!

We set off to explore the channel and were amazed at the fish, big fresh water turtles, and all manners of birds that were back there. A strange eco-system for a supposed arid desert. Parts of that channel though would turn into a RAGING river when it would rain and flash food in the city and you would see all kinds of things floating down the stream such as tires, porta-johns, and mattresses All that came to an end though when the city paved over and fenced off everything in an effort to modernize the flood channels.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the mid-90's, my parents bought their first house off of Sahara and Sloan, this was a time when the area was relatively new and still nice (unlike now). My neighborhood friends and I would often explore the desert area and the surrounding water channels all the time. We used to see coyotes, roadrunners, and some single person homeless camp out areas all the time. What caught my eye once though was watching my neighbor walk down our street, fishing pole in hand, along with 7-10 fish (Trout?) that he caught from the channel!

We set off to explore the channel and were amazed at the fish, big fresh water turtles, and all manners of birds that were back there. A strange eco-system for a supposed arid desert. Parts of that channel though would turn into a RAGING river when it would rain and flash food in the city and you would see all kinds of things floating down the stream such as tires, porta-johns, and mattresses All that came to an end though when the city paved over and fenced off everything in an effort to modernize the flood channels.

View Quote

My nephew still fishes the channel off of Vegas valley past where the pavement ends. But they only catch carp. They've seen racoon's too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Found a jeep out in the middle of the desert up north of Reno and west of Pyramid north of redrock.  Middle of nowhere and no one was around.  It had fuel and 4 good tires and no license plates and all vin numbers had been removed.  Wasn't shot up or anything and no tracks, tire or foot, anywhere around it.  tires weren't buried at all.  Guy I was with went back two weeks later and jeep was still there.  It may or may not live at his house now as a trail rig.  body was a willies from somewhere around 1951 but had extensive chop work done to it and a 350 installed with 35" tires.  He said he has found all kinds of things that will blow your mind.  He goes out wandering off roads all the time now just looking for random stuff.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 2:59:27 AM EDT
[#9]
A couple of years ago me and my bro in law stumbled upon about 40 British Royal Marine Commandos doing survival, escape and evasion training in the delmare flatts valley in Lincoln County. Way cool bunch of dudes, they showed us all of their survival traps and snairs they were making as part of the survival training. We showed them our coyote calls and how they worked, which they thought sounded rediculous. I'll have to upload the pics I took some time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Somewhat near the Nevada border near Baker California, we were camping/exploring an old mining site out north of Zzyzx road around 1993. There used to be a mining cabin out there and a nearby bunk house. I was out by myself around 12 years old with my 1953 Chinese SKS. I went to go inside the bunk house which had an old wooden door that was somewhat hard to open.

As soon as I opened the door, I saw it... Them... Like 30 lopped off human heads inside the dimly lit hovel. Light poked through hundreds of bullet holes in the side of the building which left dusty sun streams all the way to the floor. All the heads were shaved and I could see the burn marks from someone shooting them at point blank range, execution style. I could even see the star pattern from the muzzle blast. What appeared to be fragments of bone were protruding from the entry and some exit wounds. It looked like broken up coconut shells. The hairstyle and faces reminded me of the Jews on the nazi trains. I felt my heart drop and my knees went weak as I began scanning around for signs of activity. I think I let out a Christmas Story'esque, "Oh fuck!!1"  Visions of the Manson family and the Hills Have Eyes killers instantly filled my mind. I patted my pocket to make sure I had a couple stripper clips and brought the rifle up to my shoulder. There was no smell, but I was waiting for it to hit me like a wave of heat like when you open the oven door.

It probably only took two seconds for me to realize that they were all mannequin heads. I imagine they were the ones hair cutters use to practice on. Some rat bastard probably had a great laugh staging their targets to look like a slaughter had occurred in there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Somewhat near the Nevada border near Baker California, we were camping/exploring an old mining site out north of Zzyzx road around 1993. There used to be a mining cabin out there and a nearby bunk house. I was out by myself around 12 years old with my 1953 Chinese SKS. I went to go inside the bunk house which had an old wooden door that was somewhat hard to open.

As soon as I opened the door, I saw it... Them... Like 30 lopped off human heads inside the dimly lit hovel. Light poked through hundreds of bullet holes in the side of the building which left dusty sun streams all the way to the floor. All the heads were shaved and I could see the burn marks from someone shooting them at point blank range, execution style. I could even see the star pattern from the muzzle blast. What appeared to be fragments of bone were protruding from the entry and some exit wounds. It looked like broken up coconut shells. The hairstyle and faces reminded me of the Jews on the nazi trains. I felt my heart drop and my knees went weak as I began scanning around for signs of activity. I think I let out a Christmas Story'esque, "Oh fuck!!1"  Visions of the Manson family and the Hills Have Eyes killers instantly filled my mind. I patted my pocket to make sure I had a couple stripper clips and brought the rifle up to my shoulder. There was no smell, but I was waiting for it to hit me like a wave of heat like when you open the oven door.

It probably only took two seconds for me to realize that they were all mannequin heads. I imagine they were the ones hair cutters use to practice on. Some rat bastard probably had a great laugh staging their targets to look like a slaughter had occurred in there.
View Quote

Damn.....I was on the edge of my seat for a moment.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#12]
My first and only camping trip since moving here was to the backside of Mt Charleston.   Not a single living thing to be found and 100% dead quiet.  No birds, no squirrels, no wind.  Dogs were on edge, I was on edge, wife was on edge. We started hearing weird shit later that night, packed up and left.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What's did you hear?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My first and only camping trip since moving here was to the backside of Mt Charleston.   Not a single living thing to be found and 100% dead quiet.  No birds, no squirrels, no wind.  Dogs were on edge, I was on edge, wife was on edge. We started hearing weird shit later that night, packed up and left.

What's did you hear?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Shuffling. Never saw anything though when I would light it up with a flashlight.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I found one of these roaming the desert by Rachel one day. Scared the crap out of me. Still does to this day.

Keep a close eye on this sucker. You turn your back and it will try and cook fish on your grill.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like you might have gotten a visit from what is called the banshee. When we would stay at the mining cabin at the far north end of Zzyzx Road up against the Fort Irwin boundary, people would claim they would hear something heavy walking in the loose gravel around the cabin. The slow, dragging foot steps would make their way to the front door of the cabin and stop. The windows of the cabin were covered in multiple layers of curtains so you couldn't see out.

The brave would open the door expecting to find a person, gun in hand. Others would just cower in the cabin until day break. The ones that opened the door would find nothing there. The cabin was built on the side of an embankment which left a large open crawl space beneath the cabin that was filled with building supplies and various bits of debris. The whole time you would be looking at the dark void wondering if something was watching you from the blackness. The cabin would creek and groan all day long in the desert wind. The mice would play in the cupboards and long dead propane refrigerator making noises all night long.

Here is a picture to help with the story.

There used to be a logbook present at the cabin which would outline what the guests did and anything out of the ordinary. Several entries mentioned the noises. One mentioned seeing a large hairy creature that wasn't their wife. If I recall, the writer mentioned it had followed him to several of the nearby mines and had trashed the cabin while he was gone.

Sadly, this cabin was burned down around 1994 or so. The only remanent of it is the outhouse. Since the loss of the cabin, a lot fewer people venture out there. The area is riddled with horizontal and vertical mine shafts. I've heard lots of ideas on what it could be;
- Figments of drunk and drug addled minds
- Misidentification of sight/sounds if burros/wild horses/cattle
- A Bigfoot like creature the feasts one the bones of desert travelers. I imagine it looked like a brown version of Gossamer from Bugs Bunny
- Mil screwing with civilians since they're stuck in fucking Irwin
- Your typical ghost or creature from the black pit
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Found two dead bodies in the desert at dawn one morning. No cell service and the nearest payphone was about 50ish miles away. About a half mile down the trail was two more bloody bodies.  

But this time, they both had a pulse. In the back of the truck they went and it was two hours straight to UMC at high speed. A day I will never forget.  

Don't ask. Out of respect for the family's of the four people involved, I don't want to give more identifying details.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sounds like you might have gotten a visit from what is called the banshee. When we would stay at the mining cabin at the far north end of Zzyzx Road up against the Fort Irwin boundary, people would claim they would hear something heavy walking in the loose gravel around the cabin. The slow, dragging foot steps would make their way to the front door of the cabin and stop. The windows of the cabin were covered in multiple layers of curtains so you couldn't see out.

The brave would open the door expecting to find a person, gun in hand. Others would just cower in the cabin until day break. The ones that opened the door would find nothing there. The cabin was built on the side of an embankment which left a large open crawl space beneath the cabin that was filled with building supplies and various bits of debris. The whole time you would be looking at the dark void wondering if something was watching you from the blackness. The cabin would creek and groan all day long in the desert wind. The mice would play in the cupboards and long dead propane refrigerator making noises all night long.

There used to be a logbook present at the cabin which would outline what the guests did and anything out of the ordinary. Several entries mentioned the noises. One mentioned seeing a large hairy creature that wasn't their wife. If I recall, the writer mentioned it had followed him to several of the nearby mines and had trashed the cabin while he was gone.

Sadly, this cabin was burned down around 1994 or so. The only remanent of it is the outhouse. Since the loss of the cabin, a lot fewer people venture out there. The area is riddled with horizontal and vertical mine shafts. I've heard lots of ideas on what it could be;

- A Bigfoot like creature the feasts one the bones of desert travelers. I imagine it looked like a brown version of Gossamer from Bugs Bunny

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:51:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I found one of these roaming the desert by Rachel one day. Scared the crap out of me. Still does to this day.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Lance30/media/IMG_20160819_133909_zpsnrp27uyl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/Lance30/IMG_20160819_133909_zpsnrp27uyl.jpg</a>

Keep a close eye on this sucker. You turn your back and it will try and cook fish on your grill.
View Quote

I travel with fish in the desert looking for grills!

Especially in Rachel!

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:51:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Lance30/media/IMG_20160819_133909_zpsnrp27uyl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/Lance30/IMG_20160819_133909_zpsnrp27uyl.jpg</a>

No fish will ever touch my grill

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-70xc7LVi198/UOqqwG_xvTI/AAAAAAAADJg/SEIkeQFrUPA/s1600/Married_With_Children_Hot_Off_The_Grill_bundy.JPG

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:55:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fish will ever touch my grill

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-70xc7LVi198/UOqqwG_xvTI/AAAAAAAADJg/SEIkeQFrUPA/s1600/Married_With_Children_Hot_Off_The_Grill_bundy.JPG

I remember that!

Rachel.

The home of meat grills!

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:04:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do rocket fins found in a shallow Black Rock Desert cave count?
Around 1988.

Hundreds of live (corroded) rounds of .308 and occasional .50BMG rounds scattered across the playa?
Also in the Black Rock and NOT at a range.
View Quote

During WWII Black Rock Desert was used as an aerial firing training range by the Air Force.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#24]
West of Lovelock I was Coyote hunting and found a bunch of 50 cal links and was WTH. My son had an old map of the area and apparently it was an aerial gunnery range.

I used to live in Fernley and ride my horse South toward Silver Springs.  You would go over a ridge and find  14X70 trailer out there. It would give me the willies riding by. I always imagined someone having a rifle pointed at me.
Rode up on top of one of the peeks and found a bunch of electrical insulators and other stuff for a high voltage line dumped.

Later on while using my four wheeler hunting Coyotes in the same area there is a gas line that runs through there and on that road was a bunch of lumber, clothes, toys and vhs tapes packed in plastic boxes set out along side the road like someone was going to move in and build a house. It sat there for a couple weeks and then it was all gone.
Riding down a wash I came across a camp trailer with people living in it.
The brand new house out in the middle of nowhere that looked like a Castle was interesting.

It's started getting creepy out there and I dubbed the area.
Where the hills have eyes.
After I watched that movie
I was Coyote hunting east of Fallon and rode up this Canyon and topped out on a flat and there was some big ass transformers sitting up there. The only way they could have got there is to be flown in.
There was also a tin shed built over the side of a Canyon that run out of that flat.
The first thing I thought of was drug dealers.

Found small pieces of Jets from Nas Fallon that lawn darted in the flats.

Around the Fernley area while out Coyote  hunting I found the parachutes and instruments for four weather ballons.

Addendum 9/4
While driving out to the black top after a poor morning of Coyote hunting. Seeing about 8 Vultures flying out of the brush about 50 feet off of the two track I was on. Stopping to see what they are eating and finding the nude body of a woman in a shallow grave.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Went to an old abandoned mine called shelight mine. 50 east past sand mountain, right on 839 towards rawhide mine and Nas bombing range. Was alone, getting dark, walking through as I was getting ready to leave I heard banging coming from behind a locked wooden door that looked like it was the entrance to a descending shaft. Got goose bumps and that fight or flight feeling. Been trying to get nsfjojo to go back there with me but hasn't worked out. I won't go back alone.

Eta... Just to be clear. It wasn't windy at all. I am 100% sure the banging was coming from behind that old wooden door. I'll look in my photo bucket to see if I have a photo of it.

This is the door. I had looked at it coming in. Locked tight. Wooden door with a sheet of metal over it. The banging wasn't on thr door. It was from within the shaft.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top