Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2016 11:16:44 PM EDT
Seems Tesla's BS is not so perfect as they want folk to believe.
Too bad about the former SEAL, he really should have known better than to buy into the Tesla hype so completely.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/06/30/tesla-driver-using-autopilot-feature-killed-by-tractor-trailer/?intcmp=hplnws
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:57:23 AM EDT
[#1]
The early versions on *any* new tech always have issues.

They will get it right, some day.  Don't be expecting to see this tech mass marketed any time soon -- the lawsuit(s) that will be files alone will account for HUGE delays.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A driver of a Tesla died??? He should have bought a GM, Chrysler, Kia, Hyundai or a VW...you know, a brand nobody else has had a death in

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Or just maybe not have relied on a glorified smart phone with wheels to do the driving while he watched a movie instead of the road?
Details are in the article at the  link.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm actually quite ok with this tech. The system failed to detect a white truck due to strong glare from the sunlight. Ok, not to sound cold, but there is a data point to adjust for. The simple fact of reality is that most Americans drive like morons anyway, and as long as "auto pilot" isn't mandatory, I support it 100%. After all, at least I know it won't spend its driving time fixing its makeup, texting its moronic friends, or rolling with its seat so low that the only thing it can see is a 767 directly above it. It also won't get tired, stoned, or drunk.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The modern trendy take on Dean Martin?
For the youngsters, Dean Martin hired a driver after he got few DUI's.
Then was found behind the wheel again, but explained that he had to drive as his driver was too drunk to do it!
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm actually quite ok with this tech. The system failed to detect a white truck due to strong glare from the sunlight. Ok, not to sound cold, but there is a data point to adjust for. The simple fact of reality is that most Americans drive like morons anyway, and as long as "auto pilot" isn't mandatory, I support it 100%. After all, at least I know it won't spend its driving time fixing its makeup, texting its moronic friends, or rolling with its seat so low that the only thing it can see is a 767 directly above it. It also won't get tired, stoned, or drunk.
View Quote

This.  I want this tech on the road -- once it is actually working.

Not because I want to use it; I'll stay manual thanks -- but because I don't want idiots hitting me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone who thinks these "Driver Assist" to be followed by actual "Autopilot" programs are NOT going to lead to a mandate that ALL cars have them or be banned from the roads has not paid attention to history and Gov. Org endless lust for power.

What a great way to take even more control of our lives, make it impossible to drive without Gov. Org. permission and their ability to halt your trip remotely.

This will be pushed to the gullible public the same way "Gun Control" currently is.
Notice the steady mantra of "Increased Safety" already being touted by the proponents.
This death annoys them as it exposes some flaws with their plan, which they attempt to deflect by revealing his speeding tickets.
So was the Tesla speeding at the time, and if so why was the operator able to program it to do that?
After all, if the car is being a good safety minder (Nazi) is should surely be incapable of exceeding the speed limit during routine travel!

Hopefully this incident will set their plan back about twenty years.
By which time it will probably no longer matter to me.
You younger guys will be the ones to really suffer the consequences but from what I have observed most will gladly accept the new restrictions without complaint since they will get to avoid taking responsibility at the same time.    

As to bicycle deaths, not at all relevant.
Nobody is seriously in danger of being forced to use a bicycle.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Whoops!

Another autopilot fail, but at least no fatalities, just proof that it IS possible roll a model X!

Expect these incidents to become less than newsworthy once "Autopilot" gets more common.
At some point there are going to have to be changes in the law to deal with this.
I expect that most of us who prefer freedom to chains will not like how that goes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Whoops!

Another autopilot fail, but at least no fatalities, just proof that it IS possible roll a model X!

Expect these incidents to become less than newsworthy once "Autopilot" gets more common.
At some point there are going to have to be changes in the law to deal with this.
I expect that most of us who prefer freedom to chains will not like how that goes.
View Quote

I bet you haven't ever had a problem with a computer either.  Since you're so anti-computer technology in everything maybe you should go back to using the radio classifieds to sell stuff and the coffee shop to get the news.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The first person to die on a bike sharing service was recorded last week. Richard, shall we ban that too?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/07/02/chicago-woman-killed-first-bike-sharing-death-us/86646220/
View Quote

Get out of here with your logic. We must only use libereral logic when discussing the Tea car named company and ban all things they make. Bikes are the preferred transportation since they have no electronics just like Richard's truck.

General Motors never killed anyone with the steering column of an impala going through their neck or face.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 12:45:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone who volunteers for their chains is welcome to them, just leave me off that list.

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone who volunteers for their chains is welcome to them, just leave me off that list.

View Quote

I'm sure they're aware you don't like new computer technology or Tesla.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I will let the "New computer technology" illustrate just how stupid some people are.
The gap between reality and over-enthusiasm for new tech that is being promoted as more than it really is can be deadly.
I have no desire to share the road with these fools and their "Autopilot" insanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnZHRupjl5E
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:06:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't know what the final results of the investigation but this:

Preliminary reports indicate the crash occurred when Baressi's rig turned left in front of Brown's Tesla at an intersection of a divided highway where there was no traffic light, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said.
View Quote

would lead me to believe the truck driver was at fault for failing to yield while performing a left turn.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:07:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Main point mentioned in the original article was that the AI could not tell the white truck from the bright sky.
Cameras used as "Eyes", camera resolution went to crap due to "Lens Flare"?
A human would have been able to see the rig turning, probably would have flipped the sun visor down or worn sunglasses in advance to compensate for the bright day.

TESLA Driver Assist/Autopilot, not ready for public use.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Main point mentioned in the original article was that the AI could not tell the white truck from the bright sky.
Cameras used as "Eyes", camera resolution went to crap due to "Lens Flare"?
A human would have been able to see the rig turning, probably would have flipped the sun visor down or worn sunglasses in advance to compensate for the bright day.

TESLA Driver Assist/Autopilot, not ready for public use.
View Quote

Or panicked, ran into oncoming traffic, and killed a soccer mom mobile full of kids. Even with the flaws, I still trust a computer 500x more than the average idiot on the road.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#19]
That's will be your choice to make once this tech becomes available to you.
Just don't presume to make it mandatory for my use.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:55:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

"I'm actually quite ok with this tech. The system failed to detect a white truck due to strong glare from the sunlight. Ok, not to sound cold, but there is a data point to adjust for. The simple fact of reality is that most Americans drive like morons anyway, and as long as "auto pilot" isn't mandatory, I support it 100%. After all, at least I know it won't spend its driving time fixing its makeup, texting its moronic friends, or rolling with its seat so low that the only thing it can see is a 767 directly above it. It also won't get tired, stoned, or drunk."
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean just like the technology used to track you using an identification number (Social Security number) or purchases made using cash (fingerprints) or even tracking technology (cell phones)?  Glad I have so much to worry about with the older generation making so much technology that millenials take for advantage after bragging about how it's all the "old" people making the new technology.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I figured you would be more upset about the near field communication devices used on freeways to retrieve information on vehicles with faulty emissions equipment as seen by their on-board computers that they transmit up to .gov monitors.  Which of course .gov can use for assessing fines, triggering re-inspections, etc.

As many cars as are on the road they can't mandate an autopilot system.  They could mandate its presence on vehicle's going forward, much like airbags and other NHTSA mandated safety equipment, or .gov required emissions equipment. But, given its relative state of infancy it won't happen any time soon.  But it would have to be able to demonstrate that it has made a huge impact on overall safety.  

Richard just get yourself one of these and you'll be set:
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Actually I have several pre-computer cars, and am building more.
I recently got rid of a fairly nice Range-Rover due to its having an inscrutable ghost discharge issue, courtesy of too many computer controlled devices that never truly turn OFF.

Now OBD free, and no possible ability for anyone to "Hack" or track my cars simple analog systems.
I control all aspects of them, not some chip, or dweeb in a distant office.

I've owned military vehicles before, there are reasons the Mil. have entire motor-pools to maintain them, and YOUR taxes to pay for them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Show me on the doll where tesla car touched you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:41:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I didn't start this, Elon Musk did when he went full stupid claiming that he is going to see to it that ALL cars will be electric in the as soon as he can arrange it future.

Also aircraft, trucks, etc.
Maybe he can build an electric rocket too?
I know he's nuts, but with the money he has and the political supplicants at his beck and call he's dangerous.
He clearly has no qualms about exploiting taxpayers and politicians for his personal gain, look up Tesla + subsidies.

From what I see Tesla wants to force us into their glorified golf carts via politics/legislation and I intend to resist by all available means.
That includes not drinking their cool-aid, so I posted their recent fatal failure.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:45:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I didn't start this, Elon Musk did when he went full stupid claiming that he is going to see to it that ALL cars will be electric in the as soon as he can arrange it future.

Also aircraft, trucks, etc.
Maybe he can build an electric rocket too?
I know he's nuts, but with the money he has and the political supplicants at his beck and call he's dangerous.
He clearly has no qualms about exploiting taxpayers and politicians for his personal gain, look up Tesla + subsidies.

From what I see Tesla wants to force us into their glorified golf carts via politics/legislation and I intend to resist by all available means.
That includes not drinking their cool-aid, so I posted their recent fatal failure.
View Quote

Ill give him a hell of a golf clap if he can do all of that. How could you not be impressed by that.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:45:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Problem is, it is NOT actually "Autopilot".
Tesla is being misleading, apparently in an effort to over-impress the credulous.
It is only a package of Driver Assist features, cruise control, following too close alert, etc.
From what I can see it would not have helped you, it DOES NOT take over your driving duty.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Problem is, it is NOT actually "Autopilot".
Tesla is being misleading, apparently in an effort to over-impress the credulous.
It is only a package of Driver Assist features, cruise control, following too close alert, etc.
From what I can see it would not have helped you, it DOES NOT take over your driving duty.
View Quote

I dont know man its super impressive so far.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Whoops!
Tesla burst into flames and burns to the ground on test drive.
Video of the barbecue at link.

Toasty S
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Tesla saves owners life

You forgot the Tesla that drove itself 20 miles to a hospital when the owner had a heart attack while driving. Will your vehicle do that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoops!

Toasty S

Tesla saves owners life

You forgot the Tesla that drove itself 20 miles to a hospital when the owner had a heart attack while driving. Will your vehicle do that?

Won't need to, if I stroke out I will go in style, pedal to the metal!
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Whoops!

Toasty S
View Quote

Meh.  Seen many regular gas powered car-b-ques.  

Despise and hate them all you want, Richard, Tesla has some pretty impressive tech.  And good grief, put those things on the track and they smoke most tuned up cars.

And yes, they get .gov favors.  Get over it.  After all, some animals are more equal than others.  Current model Chevy's are some of the biggest pieces of shit (mechanically) I've seen on the road.  Was it because they weren't allowed to fail and our benevolent .gov overseers bailed them out so they could keep on producing their crap product?  What bailouts did Tesla receive?  Mopar?  Please, they'd be gone if it weren't for the Federal nipple.

Perhaps the ChiCom vehicles will meet NHTSA standards and we can start selling them new here.  Look on the bright side: We won't have to bail them out the next time around and Chevy will have something they can declare themselves as being more reliable over.   At least for now, before they turn into the next Honda and Toyotas and further drive another bloviated-head-in-the-sand American manufacturer into the dirt.

Cheers!

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Tesla has some pretty impressive tech.  And good grief, put those things on the track and they smoke most tuned up cars.
View Quote

You do know that there are other tracks beyond 1/4 mile?

Let's see Tesla run a 24 or even 12 hour road race, heck just 3 hours, or 500 real miles.
A rally course? NASCAR? Nope.
Beyond exhibition drags an old Tatra outperforms Tesla over any significant distance!
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 1:40:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Let's see Tesla run a 24 or even 12 hour road race, heck just 3 hours, or 500 real miles.
Beyond exhibition drags an old Tatra outperforms Tesla over any significant distance!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Tesla has some pretty impressive tech.  And good grief, put those things on the track and they smoke most tuned up cars.

But for 99% of the driving that people do on a day to day basis, the Tesla delivers.  Tesla's not targeting the cross country road tripper, but the commuter with relatively short trips.  

I still don't see why you are set against them.  Is it because they aren't a foreign company?  Is it because they are innovative?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#36]
But for 99% of the driving that people do on a day to day basis, the Tesla delivers.  Tesla's not targeting the cross country road tripper, but the commuter with relatively short trips.  

I still don't see why you are set against them.  Is it because they aren't a foreign company?  Is it because they are innovative?
View Quote

Did you read the thread?
They are crooks ripping off the taxpayer via insane state and Fed. subsidies as their alleged product is NOT competitive in an open market.
For their price you could buy multiple normal gas cars and a decades worth of fuel.
They are intent on FORCING all of us to use their product via legislation.
Their product is not nearly so innovative as their hype would like you to believe, I once owned a couple of electric cars made in the EARLY 1900's!
I don't understand why so many folk are so gullible and eager to swallow their hype.
Apparently pointing out that "The emperor has no clothes" is now an anti-social act!

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Did you read the thread?
They are crooks ripping off the taxpayer via insane state and Fed. subsidies as their alleged product is NOT competitive in an open market.
For their price you could buy multiple normal gas cars and a decades worth of fuel.
They are intent on FORCING all of us to use their product via legislation.
Their product is not nearly so innovative as their hype would like you to believe, I once owned a couple of electric cars made in the EARLY 1900's!

View Quote

And the electric car you mention owning wasn't viable, just like the steam powered cars they had around the same time weren't viable either.  Tesla is working on making the technology viable in the marketplace.

As for the cost: So what?  If someone has the means and desire to pay for it, what business of yours is it?  A Lamborghini costs more than your same multiple gas cars and lifetime of oil, yet they are still allowed in the market place.

It's no different than some kid who wants to throw a bunch of money in accurizing a Mosin Nagant when he could have simply bought an out of the box Ruger American and shot groups inside the Nagant's. Kid wants to spend his money on something when there's less expensive and higher quality alternatives, it's his choice.

As for the government subsidies there's nothing new here. Governments hand out all kinds of money to businesses for one reason or another. Usually though they do so from an investment standpoint as they expect tax revenue returns on the money they initially provided.
Id rather see government handouts to a company like Tesla who innovates and develops than some welfare queen who produces nothing and adds nothing to society.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I think it's been said best:

Originally By Ferris Bueller:
If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:03:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top