Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2016 5:01:52 PM EDT
Where & why in NV would you live / move to. Outside of the Vegas area.   Been looking at getting out of CO. NN and ID are on our radar.

IF a fellow gun / nfa enthusiast were to look at Nev, where would you recommend.  

I'm retired , spouse works pt, closing in on retirement too.  

No i don't need hundreds of acres for shooting. However having somewhere easily accessible, that wasn't a free fire zone is a plus.

We don't need to be or want to live inside city limits. Neighbors are already close here. Our place is on a 1/4 ac NO HOA / COVENANTS Area

Something that had a decent hospital / medical facility within a 30min drive.    Half way tolerable restaurants , shopping , grocery store. We don't mind driving to said areas. Providing it's not a 2 day trip

Places of worship, schools, child care etc. not necessary

I'm sure there's something i left out requirement wise. However at least you folks have some info, instead of the Where should i move to inquiry

Appreciate your recommendations.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
My friend has a place in the Elko area .Really nice in the summer.
He says he is to old to deal with snow so lives in Vegas during the winter.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I would move to Idaho.

I'm sure Wendover has the same problem as Elko with theft. Elko seems like it is the theft capital of the world and vandalism is bad. We have had a couple of unsolved murders. Drugs are rampant did I mention that we have a huge population turn over do to the mines and most of the miners don't give a shit about nothing.
Housing is not cheap and if you find property cheap there is a reason for that.

Elko is like the old  West with all the vices including an occasional Gunfight.
I would move to Idaho.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]
If I was looking into moving to Nevada, I'd choose IDAHO!
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh vegas aint bad.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Having just become incensed with the state supreme court's screwing us on the Margin tax repeal effort I'm looking ay Wyoming!

Nevada has become too Kalifornia'ized over the last couple of decades.
Recreational dope up next, then the rest of the Commiefornia debacle.
Now in the top third for taxes, need permission/registration on off-road vehicle (Despite the state NOT defending it's ownership & control of the lands), Governor and most legislature are limp-wristed uni-party hacks, selling out to any special interest that promises a (Delayed, special deal) tax increase to be spent buying more votes from the "Gimmee'dat free schidt" vermin.
I could go on but there's so little point.

Nevada is now ruled by how much tax you pay or generate.
Unless you have enough retirement to be comfortable without having to compete with illegals for any work at all you might want to look elsewhere.

Yah, I'm PISSED!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:38:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I love sparks but it sounds like it might not be what you want. I haven't lived anywhere else in this state. I do wish we had a little more open area close but if that really mattered to me Carson or Fallon would probably be my choice if I could find decent work.

Didn't realize Elko was that bad. Couldn't handle Vegas.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:27:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:30:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 75 or so people who have been murdered in the last 5 months would argue with you...but they be dead.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh vegas aint bad.

The 75 or so people who have been murdered in the last 5 months would argue with you...but they be dead.

Stats can be pretty silly sometimes. Give me the breakdown on who got murdered? Is it like most big cities where thugs are killing thugs?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh vegas aint bad.

75 people out of 619,000 so 0.01% of the population is a victim of murder. I'd say that's safe.

I'd probably pick something like Carson City or Dayton since I already drive 30 minutes of freeway to works it is. At least there I wouldn't have to worry about smog. Plus I'm close enough to Reno for the airport or family and Tahoe is still close.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Minden, Gardnerville are nice. Still have a bit of that "small town" feel, but everything you need is close by. I live in Carson, but drive back and forth thru there a couple times a week for work. I wish I would have looked down there a bit more when I was house hunting.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Minden, Gardnerville are nice. Still have a bit of that "small town" feel, but everything you need is close by. I live in Carson, but drive back and forth thru there a couple times a week for work. I wish I would have looked down there a bit more when I was house hunting.
View Quote

I love sparks but it sounds like it might not be what you want. I haven't lived anywhere else in this state. I do wish we had a little more open area close but if that really mattered to me Carson or Fallon would probably be my choice if I could find decent work.

Minden or gardnerville, thanks. not on our radar but will look in those areas.

Work for either of us is not an issue.

Curious, why Fallon ?

For us (ok for me) the big issue being disabled. Having the ability to access land outside any city limits to shoot.  Humping a few guns (for me) is a chore. Running out X hundred yards, not really happening unless i can drive.  I see mention of the off road laws / permits.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Curious, why Fallon ?

For us (ok for me) the big issue being disabled. Having the ability to access land outside any city limits to shoot.  Humping a few guns (for me) is a chore. Running out X hundred yards, not really happening unless i can drive.  I see mention of the off road laws / permits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curious, why Fallon ?

Fallon appeals to me for several reasons

Lower cost housing
small town while still having most of what you need locally
easy access to BLM land

I also know several people that live there and the local private shooting range/club is good people that I get along with and put on decent matches.

I do prefer Sparks/Reno because of the social aspect but I would be fine either place.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#14]
If you don't want to hump any guns or targets I wouldn't look at Fallon it's sandy in most places. Fernley might not be a bad choice. When I lived there I would go back behind Hazen and there was a home made bench on a small rise and I would shoot out into a bowl out to 600. The problem with Fernley is land is expensive now thanks to Tesla.

I would still move to Idaho.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you don't want to hump any guns or targets I wouldn't look at Fallon it's sandy in most places. Fernley might not be a bad choice. When I lived there I would go back behind Hazen and there was a home made bench on a small rise and I would shoot out into a bowl out to 600. The problem with Fernley is land is expensive now thanks to Tesla.

I would still move to Idaho.
View Quote

You can go out to dry lake beds and shoot out to 2k yards if you want to and its hard pan unless it just rained. Theres tons of awesome places to live in NN. Fallon, winnemucca, ely for examples.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:03:02 AM EDT
[#16]
There's a few places in the winnemucca area that caught our eye.  I "Thought" Fallon was more .mil residence types.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:37:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There's a few places in the winnemucca area that caught our eye.  I "Thought" Fallon was more .mil residence types.
View Quote

Plenty of that around for sure. I have no idea the raw numbers but NAS Fallon is certainly a big part of the town.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:43:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Plenty of that around for sure. I have no idea the raw numbers but NAS Fallon is certainly a big part of the town.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard of it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:43:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would consider it a combo of farming/ranching and seamen.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Never heard of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard of it.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well if anyone would know about seamen it's you
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only the farmer/rancher seaman not the USN  seamen......(sigh) they never call back.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#23]
We lived outside Sparks in an area called Spanish springs up pyramid highway.  We absolutely loved it.  We were in the sparks city limits but across the street was county area.  all the food, minor medical and shopping you need is within 5 minutes max and major medical (hospitals) were 15 minutes maybe.  Washoe county range was 20 minutes up the road.  We both loved it there and miss it every day.  Good Luck on your search.  If you want more info on that area let me know.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We lived outside Sparks in an area called Spanish springs up pyramid highway.  We absolutely loved it.  We were in the sparks city limits but across the street was county area.  all the food, minor medical and shopping you need is within 5 minutes max and major medical (hospitals) were 15 minutes maybe.  Washoe county range was 20 minutes up the road.  We both loved it there and miss it every day.  Good Luck on your search.  If you want more info on that area let me know.
View Quote

You moved already? I feel like you were just asking about neighborhoods a year ago
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You moved already? I feel like you were just asking about neighborhoods a year ago
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was much longer than that.  I bought my old house in 09'.  Wife and I both found jobs too good to pass up about a year ago.  We live up in Washington state now (west side across the sound from seattle).  shooting environment isn't nearly as nice up here.  Most ranges are membership only, not many competitions to be found where I live and no good gun stores close by.  On the other hand it cost me $68 to register my truck this year ($500~ in NV) and ccw showed up 3 days after I did fingerprints.  Just like anywhere there are good and bad.  Weather has been amazing though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It was much longer than that.  I bought my old house in 09'.  Wife and I both found jobs too good to pass up about a year ago.  We live up in Washington state now (west side across the sound from seattle).  shooting environment isn't nearly as nice up here.  Most ranges are membership only, not many competitions to be found where I live and no good gun stores close by.  On the other hand it cost me $68 to register my truck this year ($500~ in NV) and ccw showed up 3 days after I did fingerprints.  Just like anywhere there are good and bad.  Weather has been amazing though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I must be confused. I bought a year ago and for some reason I thought you had too. I know all about the registration bullshit here. I now have 4 motorcycles and two cars

In Alaska it was 120$ for two years regardless of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Hoping to one day move back to Wells. Just buy some property and go to town once a week. Sounds great to me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hoping to one day move back to Wells. Just buy some property and go to town once a week. Sounds great to me.
View Quote

Should have bought a few years ago before they found gold in the Pequops. If it ain't expensive now its going to get that way.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Should have bought a few years ago before they found gold in the Pequops. If it ain't expensive now its going to get that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really like it out in the Deeth are towards Oneil basin. Property is still reasonable there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top