Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2016 11:44:23 PM EDT
Looking to get started into the precision long range shooting game(400-1000+). I've never even fired at a target over 200 yards. I've always  used the WAG system and only under 350 yards. I'm not a good book learner. I'm a hands on kind of guy.
Equipment I have to learn with and needing instruction on :
Savage LRH 338 LM, BUSHNELL XRS 4.5-30X50 MIL/MIL G2 reticle, USO rail mount anti-cant device, Kestrel 5700 elite with AB and link, Sig kilo LRF.
Eventually I'll be reloading for the beast but for now I'll be shooting factory fodder. Starting with S&B 300gr match ammo. Live fire will have to be as funds allow me to purchase amno. I'm finding nothing about this caliber or long range game is cheap

Anyone have the knowhow and willing to mentor and pass on their knowledge?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:56:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to a match. Look up Sin City Precision Shooters. No better way to get better.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to a match. Look up Sin City Precision Shooters. No better way to get better.
View Quote

Awesome

Yes, you got me!

For others, if you use a VPN, their website redirects to the NSA. Very creative.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Going to a match is important.  You can pick up some good tips for sure and most guys are very easy and helpful on a new guy.  If you were up here we could go out every night and hit the range.  We need to g t together more often.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Awesome

Yes, you got me!

For others, if you use a VPN, their website redirects to the NSA. Very creative.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome

Yes, you got me!

What

I'm confused. Did I play a trick and not know it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought it was you, but it looks like it is just their website. If they detect a VPN, they redirect you to the NSA. First time I encountered that on a gun site.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
There is nothing like going out and just doing.
Setup your targets at the distance you want to shoot and do it.
The wind is not your enemy practice in it and you will understand.

People tend to think you can buy or short cut your way into the long range game.
All of the electronics in the world is not going to help if you can't squeeze a trigger properly and put a bullet on target.

You are probably going to need to rethink the 338 for a long range rifle the cost in ammo alone will break you.
My cousin has one and ten years ago ammo was $90 a box.  I shot the shit of of his ammo.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I thought it was you, but it looks like it is just their website. If they detect a VPN, they redirect you to the NSA. First time I encountered that on a gun site.
View Quote

Good because I don't even know what a VPN is
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Going to a match is important.  You can pick up some good tips for sure and most guys are very easy and helpful on a new guy.  If you were up here we could go out every night and hit the range.  We need to g t together more often.
View Quote

I keep asking you to put in for deer or elk with me. And you never have to have a reason to just come visit.
We never did get to put together a summer fishing trip or a fall float trip. I've also been kicking around the idea of crashing your place November 2017 for some wolf calling if you'll have me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]
First, I'd pick up a decent 308 bolt to learn on. You're wallet and shoulder will thank you

For what you'll spend in 338 ammo alone, even if you load your own,  will more than cover the cost of say a savage 10t in 308 rifle and practice ammo... Not to mention 338 barrel life is not the greatest, you'll probably go thru at least one barrel before you feel comfy engaging targets out to 1k...
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I shot my first 400 yard target this weekend. Honestly the first thing that's important is going to have fun.  Accept it will take a box to get on target but just be glad you're in the area. Don't get caught up in the gear because I was shooting a bone stock brand new Remington 783 30-06 with a cheap scope and hit a plate the size of a small bank vault. It's a lot more fun when you aren't trying so hard. I followed up with hitting a clay pigeon and celebrating like I just hit a 4" target at 400 yards on 2 shots with a $400 setup.  The hardest part is finding the time, space, and weather to put in the work.  After this weekend I see why guys see 500 yards as an entry level because you're just starting to reach out to what a factory rifle can do.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I enjoy shooting the old Mauser at the 500 & 600 yard steel at Boulder City , which is about as far as I can hit with iron sights.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#13]
We, Sin City Precision, have a match this Sat morning.  Unfortunately, we don't allow a magnum or anything over 3200 fps because you'll kill our steel.  But you can always come out, watch and ask questions.

The gear you have will work very well for long range work.  However, you'll be better off learning to shoot with a smaller caliber like .308, 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6mm rifle, simply due to cost.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We, Sin City Precision, have a match this Sat morning.  Unfortunately, we don't allow a magnum or anything over 3200 fps because you'll kill our steel.  But you can always come out, watch and ask questions.

The gear you have will work very well for long range work.  However, you'll be better off learning to shoot with a smaller caliber like .308, 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6mm rifle, simply due to cost.
View Quote

I.M. SENT
I have a 25.06 and a 7mm rm also but neither are set up for long range work and I'm afraid the 7 needs a new tube. Wouldn't matter anyway....it's a magnum.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I keep asking you to put in for deer or elk with me. And you never have to have a reason to just come visit.
We never did get to put together a summer fishing trip or a fall float trip. I've also been kicking around the idea of crashing your place November 2017 for some wolf calling if you'll have me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your always welcome here.  I can't get away with the kids having me drag them all over the place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top