Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2016 12:50:08 AM EDT
Seeing more and more articles breathlessly announcing the "Imminent revolution of self-driving cars".
"Cars will become just another app, you summon it with your phone and don't need to own it".
"All cars will be electric and dispatched for use as needed" (Allowed?).

Personally, you can have my gas guzzler when you pry the keys from my cold dead hands.
I will never so much as sit in any electric POS, and I want the stupid law allowing self driving cars in Nevada repealed ASAP.

I see "Self driving cars" on the same level as "Smart Gun Technology".
Just more assaults on individual freedom as it gives Gov. Org. another control over us.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:18:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#2]
A one ton projectile hurtling along the highway that's controlled solely by a computer program, what could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, not good with this right now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#4]
NOPE.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Not even maybe
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not even maybe
View Quote

Hillary or Trump as president scares me more. But what the hey!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:05:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Despite the write ups of them being imminent, they are not.  They have been tested in specific area with specific weather -- the cases of bad roads and bad weather will take much more time.

Plus, the issue of liabilities needs to be settled, and that will not be fast -- If my automated car hits someone, whose fault is it?  Not mine -- I wasn't controlling it.

No, we'll not see them any time soon.  Almost sad, because while I don't want one, I'd feel safer driving and riding around vegas if half the town was forced to use them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:43:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't want to be in an over-sized Roomba with no control.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:23:18 AM EDT
[#9]
They still lead to one of my favorite moral argumemts; who does the car have more responsibility too? Let's say you are driving down the freeway with the car driving, as you round a corner, a couple of idiots are trying to run across the freeway, the car calculates that there isn't time to stop so it is faced with a decision; hit and likely kill the 2 pedestrians, or turn sharply and strike the barricade likely killing its passenger (you).

Way too many questions for this technology for it to go mainstream, hopefully for a very long time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Not so sure it's that far off.

"The demonstration in Europe shows that driverless trucking is right around the corner".

http://techcrunch.com/2016/04/25/the-driverless-truck-is-coming-and-its-going-to-automate-millions-of-jobs/

I doubt the accuracy of some of their statements.
The idea of having to deal with 45 MPH Truck-Trains goes far beyond merely annoying.
Have to wonder how this will affect our already money losing rail-roads?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I see self driving cars on the same level as speak to text or voice commands.  Look at all the electronic controls in your gas guzzler. Why don't we go back to mechanical fuel pumps and repeal EFI while we are at it. How about we also eliminate programmable thermostats and coffee makers because they're only half controlled by humans?

All I see is a potential accident. We already have cars that stop if you're not looking or back up into parking spots if you can't parallel park.  Maybe it keeps grandma or uncle Ted from falling asleep at the wheel and killing someone driving to work.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Possibly "demonstration" means something in your industry that is different in IT.

In IT, it means, that while nothing is complete, working, documented or tested, you managed to use electronic baling wire and duck tape to show off your product and hopefully no one noticed the warts.

Pretty sure the automated trucks won't bother you at all..because by the time they hit the road, you will have the flying car you've been promised for decades.

(They have been "demonstrated" too...)

Quoted:
Not so sure it's that far off.

"The demonstration in Europe shows that driverless trucking is right around the corner".

http://techcrunch.com/2016/04/25/the-driverless-truck-is-coming-and-its-going-to-automate-millions-of-jobs/

I doubt the accuracy of some of their statements.
The idea of having to deal with 45 MPH Truck-Trains goes far beyond merely annoying.
Have to wonder how this will affect our already money losing rail-roads?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I build embedded systems for a living and am extremely uncomfortable with this.  To me it appears to be yet another move towards a responsibility free society masquerading as a technical achievement.

Quoted:
The "millennials" can't wait to get into a car and have ANOTHER 30 mins on their smartphones. This seems like a dream.....
View Quote

I've joked about this as well.  People have mentioned all the time wasted driving.  If a cure for cancer would be the result of autonomous vehicles, I might go for it (reluctantly).  You and I know it's just a lame ass excuse to diddle on Facebook more minutes in the day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I see self driving cars on the same level as speak to text or voice commands.  Look at all the electronic controls in your gas guzzler. Why don't we go back to mechanical fuel pumps and repeal EFI while we are at it. How about we also eliminate programmable thermostats and coffee makers because they're only half controlled by humans?

All I see is a potential accident. We already have cars that stop if you're not looking or back up into parking spots if you can't parallel park.  Maybe it keeps grandma or uncle Ted from falling asleep at the wheel and killing someone driving to work.
View Quote

Um, MY "Gas Guzzler's" have NO electronics at all.
Mechanical fuel pump yes, EFI no, never had a programmable thermostat and I never drink coffee!
Had a couple of newer cars with such gimmicks and got rid of them since they are not owner service friendly.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The "millennials" can't wait to get into a car and have ANOTHER 30 mins on their smartphones. This seems like a dream.....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Not like they stop facebooking, texting and tweeting while they are driving and cutting you off already.  

Autonomous cars will eventually be ready for prime time.  Personally, I hope it's soon.  They can't drive any worse than the fucktards on blue diamond or the Californians driving on the strip.  

The bar is low right now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:29:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe my age is showing but I recall too many things over the years that went from might be a good idea to mandatory.

In a free society we have personal choices, if all our choices are replaced by mandates do not try to convince me I am still "Free"!
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:35:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Horrified?

Not really, mildly concerned perhaps.

Awhile ago I read a fairly well written article, I ink it was on cracked about how the apocalypse might sneak up on us. The scenario sketched out is that we gradually cede control to machinery of all sorts until we aren't a human civilization anymore. We are a machine civilization with a few humans running around. Imagine the matrix, but with no war. People just get into the tanks voluntarily because we can do whatever we can imagine in the warm virtual reality goo world.

I suppose a variation of the WallE scenario is also a distinct possibility.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Your gas guzzler is *loaded* with gimmicks. My bike doesn't even have a gas gauge!

You kids and your new fangled tech. :)

Quoted:

Um, MY "Gas Guzzler's" have NO electronics at all.
Mechanical fuel pump yes, EFI no, never had a programmable thermostat and I never drink coffee!
Had a couple of newer cars with such gimmicks and got rid of them since they are not owner service friendly.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:42:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Another company working on putting truckers on the unemployment line.

https://backchannel.com/the-man-who-built-googles-first-self-driving-car-is-now-a-trucker-aa1726d3a36f#.57fzvsuyw
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:00:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://backchannel.com/the-man-who-built-googles-first-self-driving-car-is-now-a-trucker-aa1726d3a36f#.57fzvsuyw
View Quote

There must be attorneys just drooling at the idea of the multimillion dollar lawsuits they can bring against trucking companies who ditched their human drivers to be able to send a robot truck racing down the highway to drive 24/7 making the trucking company mucho more $$$...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I read somewhere that the trucks will not be 100% autonomous.

There will still be an "operator" in the cab who can take over.

Much like commercial airline pilots using autopilot.

However, the thought of 100% autonomous, driverless ANYTHING gives me great concern.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:54:34 AM EDT
[#23]
A "minder" on board would be subject to the same restriction on hours as a driver.
From what I glean from the articles the point is to eliminate any human operator and run the trucks strait to their destination without stopping unless they need fuel.
The most recent article seems to be saying they intend to automate travel on the highway but put a driver back in the cab for passage through urban areas.

Among other concerns I see some great opportunity for the "Slip & Fall" lawsuit lottery type criminals.
Of course in the end it is the consumer who will foot the bill, just like shoplifting.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:09:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A "minder" on board would be subject to the same restriction on hours as a driver.
From what I glean from the articles the point is to eliminate any human operator and run the trucks strait to their destination without stopping unless they need fuel.
The most recent article seems to be saying they intend to automate travel on the highway but put a driver back in the cab for passage through urban areas.

Among other concerns I see some great opportunity for the "Slip & Fall" lawsuit lottery type criminals.
Of course in the end it is the consumer who will foot the bill, just like shoplifting.
View Quote

I do believe that the operator CAN sleep (take naps) while still sitting behind the wheel.

There are wake up (warning systems) that will wake the operator up if there is a system malfunction.

Also, just being there and monitoring systems is not as tiring as actually driving. It would be akin to being a passenger, with the exception that you would be awakened if something went wrong, or if you normally woke up from your nap.

I think the video I saw about all this was from Volvo.

I'll see if I can find the video.

ETA: This might be it...

Autonomous Driving Truck

Here's Another One

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe it's just me, but if I'm suddenly jolted awake it takes longer for me to become fully aware and ready to act than the time it takes for something like a blow-out or icy road to become irrecoverable.

As a passenger I would be bored out of my mind.
Why do I expect that the minders positions will quickly be filled by folk not as fully qualified as a pro-driver, for less pay?
Oh I know, observation of other industries who went to as much automation as possible.

Unless they are going to build parallel roads just for these, with barriers to keep them there, I do not want these on the roads.
We already have railroads and container freight, so this whole exercise is unnecessary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top