Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2016 7:29:16 PM EDT
It's that time again. I must renew my Driver's License.

I went to the West Flamingo office and insanity doesn't EVEN describe it. I counted over 100 people in the information (of course the line I needed to be in).

Then I went to the East Sahara location and it was the same.

I know it's been discussed here before so I guess my question is where the HELL can I go to beat the insanity of the local DMV's?

TIA

-Joe
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I just did it. I went to the one on North Decatur and it was surprisingly painless. I gave them my cell number and then I left the dmv. I went and checked out the new gun shop on North Decatur, Spartan Arms, which by the way is quite nice.  Then I went to Aliente Station and grabbed some lunch and hung out there for an hour or so. I got text alerts throughout the process telling me where I was in line and about 15 minutes before I was scheduled to be called I went back to the DMV and waited for a few minutes.

From there it was another 20 minutes to get through the paperwork for the new license and I was free to go.   It was not the horror story I was anticipating.

Editing to add that you should make sure you check the documents required to get a new license. There are substantially more documents required than you used to need. I got on the internet to make sure I had enough documentation before I went. I imagine there's nothing worse than waiting in line and having to do it again because you don't have the right paperwork.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I went to the Henderson DMV on Stephanie and American Pacific. I went Thursday morning 10-29-2015, They open at 8am, and I arrived around 12 minutes before they opened and there was a long line (35-40?). They opened at 8 and everyone filed in and they asked for my cell number, so  your number is the last 4 of your cell. They told me it was around a 20 minute wait - it took around 30 to get to the first window - then you go to photo to wait in line. I got a real id and brought my documents. I was out of there in an hour and a half.

I got my dl in the mail 11 days later in the mail (6 business days). It expires 12-2023.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just did it. I went to the one on North Decatur and it was surprisingly painless. I gave them my cell number and then I left the dmv. I went and checked out the new gun shop on North Decatur, Spartan Arms, which by the way is quite nice.  Then I went to Aliente Station and grabbed some lunch and hung out there for an hour or so. I got text alerts throughout the process telling me where I was in line and about 15 minutes before I was scheduled to be called I went back to the DMV and waited for a few minutes.

From there it was another 20 minutes to get through the paperwork for the new license and I was free to go.   It was not the horror story I was anticipating.

Editing to add that you should make sure you check the documents required to get a new license. There are substantially more documents required than you used to need. I got on the internet to make sure I had enough documentation before I went. I imagine there's nothing worse than waiting in line and having to do it again because you don't have the right paperwork.
View Quote

What documents/paperwork do I need?

I have my current DL and the renewal card.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.dmvnv.com/dlrenewal.htm#realh3
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tonopah....you will be the only one in there. I go there to do my dl renewals and Pioche to do anything else. I won't step foot in a Clark DMV ever again.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I called Tonopah, and they fulfilled their phone quota for the day.

WTF?
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I went to Laughlin to register my car. It was a nice little road trip and I had the time. I walked in and it was as if the friendly staff had been waiting for me.

The web says they do renewals.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tonopah....you will be the only one in there. I go there to do my dl renewals and Pioche to do anything else. I won't step foot in a Clark DMV ever again.

View Quote

My friend has been doing this for the last ten years.
He goes up once a month to see his dad anyway, but maybe go up for a three day weekend.
My mom and my nephew did renewals last month at DMV on Stephanie both said they got out in under an hour.
One on a Tuesday one on a Wednesday  between 10-11 o'clock.
Maybe just lucky.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm confused.

Do I need a Birth Certificate for a Real ID if I want to get one?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:15:32 AM EDT
[#11]
When I did my renewal, I got the real ID and had my old license, 2 bills showing my name and address and my passport. Then I took my DD214 to get the Military designator on the license also.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:37:42 AM EDT
[#12]
F-real ID!
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:51:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I did my renewal, I got the real ID and had my old license, 2 bills showing my name and address and my passport. Then I took my DD214 to get the Military designator on the license also.
View Quote

I don't have a Passport.

Now what?
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 2:34:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 2:56:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Deportation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a Passport.

Now what?

Deportation.

Can I take you with me when I get deported?

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 3:35:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I usually go to the one on stephanie. It is usually somewhat crowded. The text you thing is cool if its much of a wait they will let you know with like 15 minutes to get there. There are a few gunshops around there too
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm confused.

TIA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm confused.

TIA

Unfortunately you will need a birth certificate or passport. You will also need your ssn and two proofs of Nevada residency. The documentation is a PITA.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are there any advantages to having the .mil designator?
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes. any place that offers vet discounts i.e. lowes. some firearms stores accept it as mil proof for purchases.

goto pahrump for dmv.. quick office and easy to get through. plus closer than tonopah.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

yes. any place that offers vet discounts i.e. lowes. some firearms stores accept it as mil proof for purchases.

goto pahrump for dmv.. quick office and easy to get through. plus closer than tonopah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just might do Nye County.

I have a buddy who just moved there.

I can go to the DMV and then meet him for lunch.

BTW: Can I opt of the Real ID until 2020 and just do a normal renewal without all the paperwork crap?
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#23]
read id is not mandatory, so you can opt out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks, F2.

Do you know what ID I need for a standard renewal?

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a Passport.

Now what?

Deportation.

I am getting ready to head back into the middle east, should have room in the tent if you want to go?
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I am getting ready to head back into the middle east, should have room in the tent if you want to go?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a Passport.

Now what?

Deportation.

This is from the DMV for the Real ID:

You must present all of the following:
• one document for proof of identity AND
•if you have changed your name,  proof of all name change(s) AND
•one document for proof of Social Security number AND
•two documents to prove your Nevada residential address AND
•a completed Application for Driving Privileges or ID Card (DMV 002)

Proof of Identity

•State-issued birth certificate (original or certified copy)
•Valid, unexpired United States Passport or United States Passport Card
•Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
•Out-of-state driver’s license, instruction permit, or identification card that contains a Real ID marking approved by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
Note: Any Real ID card marked “limited term” is not acceptable for proof of name and date of birth; acceptable immigration documents must be shown.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks, F2.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, F2.

Here's the in person requirement:

Your existing Nevada license is sufficient for proof of identity. You do not have to bring additional documentation unless it is required for other reasons such as immigration status, medical letter, etc.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Your existing Nevada license is sufficient for proof of identity. You do not have to bring additional documentation unless it is required for other reasons such as immigration status, medical letter, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, F2.

Thank you, Bro.

I haven't been able to get through to ANY of the DMV offices over the past two days by phone.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

FYI...they are excellent responding to emails.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, F2.

Thank you, Bro.

I haven't been able to get through to ANY of the DMV offices over the past two days by phone.

FYI...they are excellent responding to emails.

Thanks, WP.

I'll try that next.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#31]
From what I heard, if you open carry in the DMV they will expedite you through the process.
My bug man's wife works there and said that she received special training for this.

Tom

ETA: Open carry
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Just an FYI there is supposed to be a time in the future where you will need the real I'd to get on a plane.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just an FYI there is supposed to be a time in the future where you will need the real I'd to get on a plane.
View Quote

Yea.

Isn't it the year 2020?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:52:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
From what I heard, if you open carry in the DMV they will expedite you through the process.
My bug man's wife works there and said that she received special training for this.

Tom

ETA: Open carry
View Quote

They dont have no firearms signs? I thought they did
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally posted by: Obo2
View Quote

I believe the no firearm signs only apply to concealed weapons.
The following is a copy and paste from www.nevadacarry.org/open-carry.html

Can I open carry at a state or local government building (library, museum, city hall, DMV, courthouse, etc.)?
Yes. The law specifically states that 'no guns' signs or metal detectors must be present at each public entrance and this restriction only applies to concealed carry and not open carry.

However, I'm sure Joe would know the law better than myself.
Tom

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:45:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Can I open carry at a state or local government building (library, museum, city hall, DMV, courthouse, etc.)?
Yes. The law specifically states that 'no guns' signs or metal detectors must be present at each public entrance and this restriction only applies to concealed carry and not open carry.

Tom

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally posted by: Obo2

Tom

The reason why they don't restrict the open carrying of firearms in those buildings is because there is no statute to support it.

Nevada is silent on open carry (i.e. no law allowing it and no law prohibiting it). Therefore, it's hard to prosecute a law that doesn't exist.

When they do reflect on statute in NRS the only statute they can cite is the CCW statute (i.e. NRS 202.3673).

If this becomes an issue the Anti-Gunners might draft legislation in next year's legislative session.

In my opinion, in the current climate with current statutes they would have to find another violation to prosecute a person with or go with the old reliable Trespass Warning (NRS 207.200) if you refuse to leave.

That's the way I see it.

Perhaps someone else can add something.

-Joe

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#38]
My very first visit to DMV (stephanie, the only one I've been), back in 2004, there was a guy open carrying. No one seemed to mind.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would think anyone walking into a Clark DMV open carrying is insane. They have armed guards who think NRS is a brand of kayak shoe. The DMV also requested AR15's for 'your safety"...which genius that works there has access to that.. we might just find out.

View Quote

I won't be open carrying in DMV.

I don't want to be on the business end of some yahoo's AR-15.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:51:52 AM EDT
[#40]
My wife just renewed hers at the Pahrump DMV (We live here so thats the one we always use) and it took about 2 hours.  Check in, give them your phone number and they text you with updates on when its time to come in and get the renewal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My wife just renewed hers at the Pahrump DMV (We live here so thats the one we always use) and it took about 2 hours.  Check in, give them your phone number and they text you with updates on when its time to come in and get the renewal.
View Quote

I might go that route.

WP, do you want to take a ride with me when I go?

LMK, Bro.

ETA: Does anyone have any experience with the Mesquite or Laughlin offices?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#43]
The time and money it takes to drive to tonopah and back, you would have been out of the DMV and could have afforded a descent steak dinner.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

True but it's worth it to me not to sit in a room with a bunch of third worlders for hours on end. I'd rather be going down a highway at 80 with Rush on the radio. To each his own.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The time and money it takes to drive to tonopah and back, you would have been out of the DMV and could have afforded a descent steak dinner.

True but it's worth it to me not to sit in a room with a bunch of third worlders for hours on end. I'd rather be going down a highway at 80 with Rush on the radio. To each his own.

you don't have to sit there anymore they text you.

i don't think it took 2 hours to renew my license at the stephanie american pacific location. I didn't have to drive to pahrump and i went gun store browsing while i waited.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:True but it's worth it to me not to sit in a room with a bunch of third worlders for hours on end. I'd rather be going down a highway at 80 with Rush on the radio. To each his own.
View Quote

I know what you mean. I sat outside the door at the Stephanie dmv and could hear the speaker and listened for the last 4 of my cell.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Wait, you can't check in online in Clark county? Reno and Carson city allow you to "pick a number" online and it will text you how long your wait time is. Spend 3 hours waiting at work then show up 20 minutes before your number is called.

Good to know you can opt out of the smart ID. I need to renew in April and didn't think I could opt out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wait, you can't check in online in Clark county?
View Quote

They tried that here but due to the volume of people it crashed the system. On occasion you can check in online or by phone if you call when they first open. A couple hours in and the system crashes. I think they just turned it off for now. But once you check in in person it works the same way and you are free to leave and come back when they text you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top