Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2015 12:19:51 AM EDT
MC friend of mine and his wife are looking to pick up 1 or maybe 2 firearms for home defense and maybe carry purposes.  He spent 5 years in as a jet mech so has been around mostly the M16 platform but maybe not much more since air wing.    

There any place they can rent and try out a few different ones? I mean other than the tourist trap MG rentals who can give them some insite on defense and sell them one?  The shops I've been to out there for SHOT were usual gun shop with no range or indoor range to rent guns but not a retail shop.

I'm going to send him the link to this thread so he can see what people recommend.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discount firearms and the gun store i think both do rentals? and have a range. The gun store is a bit more of a tourist trap.
Battlefield vegas is owned by an arfcommer. But they dont sell guns i dont think.
New frontier armory is the nvhtf favortie for a black rifle shop also owned by an arfcommer. No range though.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#2]
American Shooters on Arville rents guns and has an indoor range. There gun prices are high so I would recommend buying at Discount Gun Source (West side) or Battle Born (East side).

Tell them to rent a VP9 and Sig P320.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#3]
He's a big dude, personal trainer and big gym guy so a pistol that feels good to him will probably be too big for his wife.  She works out a lot as well and physically can handle shooting a full size but not sure if the controls would be comfortable.  I told them to go around and finger bang as many different ones as they can, get different ideas and theories from gun shops, some will be full retard while others would be spot on.  Then pick out like 5 or 6 that felt the best to test fire, not just one mag but mag changes to see what is the easiest.  Relatively new shooters so they won't have all the bad habits or theories prior to shooting that can mess you up.

People get all worked up over Glock is better than 1911 or H&K are just over priced junk Blah blah blah......  Comes down to feel and ergonomics.   Just like a pair of boots, what fit my feet perfect and I can walk all day in are beyond uncomfortable and useless to another.  Firearms are the same way.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
If they are southeast side, also try Green Valley Range. I have gone there a couple times when I didn't feel like humping all my gear to BCRPC and have been impressed. I know they rent guns, but never looked at everything they had. May be worth a shot.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:46:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He's a big dude, personal trainer and big gym guy so a pistol that feels good to him will probably be too big for his wife.  She works out a lot as well and physically can handle shooting a full size but not sure if the controls would be comfortable.

View Quote

They could get a SIG P320 and then buy a Small Frame from sig for $46. They would have two guns in one. They could get a full size and compact. One large the other small (grip size). Something to think about.

http://store.sigsauer.com/p320-p250-full-grip-module-9mm-40-auto-357sig.html

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They could get a SIG P320 and then buy a Small Frame from sig for $46. They would have two guns in one. They could get a full size and compact. One large the other small (grip size). Something to think about.

http://youtu.be/LhmwsOKEBwQ

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's a big dude, personal trainer and big gym guy so a pistol that feels good to him will probably be too big for his wife.  She works out a lot as well and physically can handle shooting a full size but not sure if the controls would be comfortable.

http://youtu.be/LhmwsOKEBwQ

I like this guy!

Great gun, too.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Get her a semi auto 12 gauge since she probably won't carry anyway and he can get what fits him best.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Have them check out the The Range 702 on Dean Martin Dr.  Big place, nice and clean, and the folks were helpful.  I completed an IDPA Instructor course there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Have them check out the The Range 702 on Dean Martin Dr.  Big place, nice and clean, and the folks were helpful.  I completed an IDPA Instructor course there.
View Quote
I drove by there a few weeks ago and all the signs where down off the building. I'm guessing they're out of business. Or maybe repainting the building?

Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#10]
They moved, still on Dean Martin but north of the old location, right next to the big Hustler strip club. Much smaller store now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

They moved, still on Dean Martin but north of the old location, right next to the big Hustler strip club. Much smaller store now.
View Quote

South of the old building.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#12]
That would be correct. Geez.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

They moved, still on Dean Martin but north SOUTH of the old location, right next to the big Hustler strip club. Much smaller store now.
View Quote

I just looked and they are about a half mile SOUTH of Russell.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:05:28 AM EDT
[#14]
702, it's blue and yellow near 15, looks like an ikea right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top