Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2015 4:42:59 PM EDT
Another bit of information given in yesterday's CCW class was "loud verbal commands".  Scenario given was in a public place such as a shopping store, you find yourself in a self defense situation where deadly force is appropriate.  It was said you should draw and give a loud verbal command such as "STOP!  Drop your weapon or I'm going to shoot you!"  The rationale was that if/when the shooting starts, people around you will know which is the good guy and which is the bad guy.  

After we left the class I told my wife in no uncertain terms to never EVER do this.  If she finds herself in a situation where she feels her life is threatened she should pull her gun and start shooting.  Don't stop until the threat goes away.  

Who's correct, me or the CCW instructor?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say the instructor...people around you will also tell the police the bad guy was warned you were armed and we're telling him to stop what he was doing. Having 20 people all on record saying you warned the bad guy very loudly and multiple times would be a good thing in court. Having the witnesses saying you just started shooting would seem to be a nightmare.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Yep, he made that point also.  But I've never heard of this before.  I've always been told you take care of the immediate situation and let the legalities work themselves out afterwards.  Those 20 witnesses don't amount to squat if you're dead. Do I need to calibrate my thinking?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I was instructed by ISHOOT2LIVE to give verbal commands also.  But I would add my own personal thoughts....when the situation permits. Its not always going to be feasible to give verbal commands all the time. But I do believe that if the situation and time permits then it is probably in your best interest to give verbal commands.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was instructed by ISHOOT2LIVE to give verbal commands also.  But I would add my own personal thoughts....when the situation permits. Its not always going to be feasible to give verbal commands all the time. But I do believe that if the situation and time permits then it is probably in your best interest to give verbal commands.
View Quote

This. If you can do it, why not?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#5]
If at all possible verbal commands are a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Id rather shout and have them give up than to have to shoot someone and deal with the legal and psychological ramifications of that.

That said id rather shoot first than get myself or someone else shot or have my weapon taken
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep, he made that point also.  But I've never heard of this before.  I've always been told you take care of the immediate situation and let the legalities work themselves out afterwards.  Those 20 witnesses don't amount to squat if you're dead. Do I need to calibrate my thinking?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd say the instructor...people around you will also tell the police the bad guy was warned you were armed and we're telling him to stop what he was doing. Having 20 people all on record saying you warned the bad guy very loudly and multiple times would be a good thing in court. Having the witnesses saying you just started shooting would seem to be a nightmare.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I side with your instructor.

Verbal Commands are a big part of the Force Continuum. No scenario is perfect, therefore, if possible Verbal Commands should be given.

Sometimes verbal commands aren't feasible. Case in point: If a suspect is threatening a store clerk with a firearm and you intervene with Verbal Commands, it may turn the tables against you and make you the victim.

A justified shoot is a justified shoot no matter what gun is used, what commands are/aren't given, and how many rounds are fired.

I teach the Preclusion context. If you can prevent the act from happening with relative safety you should first Preclude the situation.

Every situation is different. That's why situational awareness is so important to personal safety. Especially when carrying a firearm for self-defense.

-Joe

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay, so basically common sense should apply.  If the situation warrants a verbal command, use one.  If the situation doesn't allow for a verbal command, don't use one.  Dang, makes too much sense.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#9]
My instructor covered the same topic and I like the preclusion of force mentioned above.

My thinking is, if I have time enough to yell at someone, 999 times out of 10 I am going to have time to run out of there and avoid the situation altogether.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#10]
It surprises me that nobody brought up the situation where the Good Samaritan (armed with a ccw) was slain at the Wallyworld a year or so ago.

He drew down on an armed nut-job, thinking he had the drop on him. Unknown to the Good Samaritan, mr shitbag had just murdered two metro cops in a pizza shop, came across the street to wallyworld and had his shitbag old lady with him. Said shitbag lady saw the Good Samaritan draw down on her man and unfortunately she was outside of Good Samaritans field of view, tunnel vision is bad.

The dirty whore killed the Good Samaritan without him even seeing her and before he ever got to eliminating the precieved threat. I don't know if he gave verbal commands, I don't think he did.

I bring this situation up as an example of things to consider beyond the verbal command legal considerations. Because by giving the verbal commands you lose some tactical advantage, you expose yourself as a threat to other "bad players" in the vicinity.

Imho - every situation has its own tactical solution and giving verbal commands is not always part of that solution.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top