Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2015 9:43:44 PM EDT
So I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 192,000 miles on it that just threw a rod. It's done for. It's value before this was only about $2500-$3000, so it's not worth replacing the engine. I've never dealt with a car before that is just "done". What's my next course of action? Call a junk yard? Do they buy it from me? Do they charge me to haul it off? Advice from someone who has been down this road would be appreciated. Especially if you have recommendations of who to call in Las Vegas.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're not in a hurry, you could probably get quite a bit more for it by selling it private party.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Place like Pic-A-Part will buy it from you and come pick it up. However with all the rock crawlers and desert rats in the area , you will get more if you sell it privately.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:16:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're not in a hurry, you could probably get quite a bit more for it by selling it private party.
View Quote

Thanks. I'll do some research and try and ball park how much I should ask for it. Besides craigslist, what are the other good sites to post it on?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:21:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a 2000 explorer xlt with around 280,000 on it. When you figured in wear and tear, it booked for around 1,800 when it blew the engine (interference engines suck btb). I sold it in non running condition to a company I found online (just a Google search). They offered me 1,500 and I accepted. The next day a flatbed showed up, gave the truck a quick once over, took the title, and handed me the check. Whole deal went smooth as silk. Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the company.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:48:22 AM EDT
[#5]
P & P will only give an insultingly low offer.

Some kid wants it to lift and swap another engine into.
Sell it private party.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
P & P will only give an insultingly low offer.

Some kid wants it to lift and swap another engine into.
Sell it private party.
View Quote

I'm guessing with it being a Jeep RichardSIA probably has the better plan. If it was me, I'd get a few quotes from the various wreckers, then stick it on Craigslist and for a few weeks and see what kind of interest you get. Nothing lost in trying.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Or part it out and sell the leftovers for scrap.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Craigslist $2000.  Say you have the title and the motor threw a rod.  Add words like project, rock crawler, buggy, and/or dana 44 and see the number of calls you get.  You could possibly part the thing out and make more than $2000 for axles, transfer case, ECU, seats, radio, center console, transmission, driveshafts, random odd parts you'd never think of like mirrors and anything else.  People will come pick the thing apart but if you have time to take it apart yourself you could make a pretty penny.  Just don't do something foolish like cut out all the VIN numbers from their various locations, cut the car up into pieces and sell the pieces for scrap metal or dispose of them in various locations around town and keep the vehicle registered to create a new street legal project.  Things like that would be illegal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top