Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2015 10:06:42 PM EDT
So a relative in Colorado is giving me his old car. I figured I could start the insurance on it in my name, get a movement permit here, fly to go get it, then after the Vin inspection, register it here. When I spoke to dmv, they stated that I need the notarized title before I can get a movement permit, so when I asked how to do this they replied fly out, do title, fly back, get tag, fly out and drive car back OR have it trailered back to nevada. Is this correct or is there another way? I would obviously like to avoid 3 flights for a car worth less than $2,000. Any experience or knowledge from the hive? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So a relative in Colorado is giving me his old car. I figured I could start the insurance on it in my name, get a movement permit here, fly to go get it, then after the Vin inspection, register it here. When I spoke to dmv, they stated that I need the notarized title before I can get a movement permit, so when I asked how to do this they replied fly out, do title, fly back, get tag, fly out and drive car back OR have it trailered back to nevada. Is this correct or is there another way? I would obviously like to avoid 3 flights for a car worth less than $2,000. Any experience or knowledge from the hive? Thanks!
View Quote

I got a Mustang from my brother a couple years ago.
I called my insurance company and gave them the car info. They sent me proof of insurance.
Flew to San Francisco and drove it back.
Went to the dmv and registered the car.
I had a clear title from my brother and a bill of sale.
Also had to have it inspected at dmv to verify the vin.
I never asked if it was the right way to do things or not i really didn't think it was that big of a deal.
The Mustang was still registered in California if that makes a difference.

ETA   thats what you get for asking the dmv. things always go downhill when they get involved.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I called my insurance company and gave them the car info. They sent me proof of insurance.
I never asked if it was the right way to do things or not i really didn't think it was that big of a deal.

ETA   thats what you get for asking the dmv. things always go downhill when they get involved.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately the car isn't currently tagged, he replaced it with a fun car/suv combo and surrendered the plates a few months ago. Colorado won't issue a temp tag because I'm not a residant. What a giant PITA.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I would think you would be able to mail or fax the title...

See so many people driving with no plates in vegas i might just take my chances
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 1:16:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Haha, I considered it, but I'm just too damn law abiding. I'm going to call back tomorrow and see if he can sign it over and have notarized or see if I have to be physically present. Guessing I'm not going to like the answer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Who's signature needs to be notarized, theirs, yours or both? Once that is determined then go from there, all that can be handled by mail.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
You are doing it wrong. You get a movement permit in COLORADO!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Just drive it back. Have proof of ins. with you and a bill of sale. Nvdmv will be no help.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:44:22 AM EDT
[#9]
If the car was registered and then plates surrendered, CO dmv might only give a 1 day permit in relatives name. (guessing here)

I would get the title sent here... Wait, did you say it had to be notarized? When the hell did they start that shit?  

Can he sign it and have it notarized there. Send it here and then sign it in front of a notary or at the dmv?

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:30:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, so long story short I'm hosed. After getting several different answers from dmv, I finally spoke to a supervisor in Carson city, he informed me they will not issue a movement permit unless the car and title are physically present in nevada. Colorado has repeatedly told me to pound sand because I'm not a resident. I can trailer the car back, but the rental of a car hauler, fuel on my truck, and round trip drive time would make it too expensive. So it looks like the last option is proof of insurance, signed title, and bill of sale and hope if I encounter law enforcement that they are understanding or at least just give me a fix-it ticket. Colorado gives 48 hours to register a newly purchased vehicle so I'm good there. Utah and Nevada will be a much more uptight driving situation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Something is missing. How does anyone, nonresident, buy a car in Colorado then?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Something is missing. How does anyone, nonresident, buy a car in Colorado then?
View Quote

I honestly don't know. I've spoken to 2 different people at the state level and they both said temp tags (they said they don't have any kind of movement permit but it sounds like a "same concept different name" kind of deal) are purely at the discretion of the county offices. When I called the 2 county offices that are nearby (Denver and jefferson), they both said they will only issue temp tags to residents of their county. All suggested trailering it, but a guy at the Jefferson office also mentioned as long as it was registered within 48 hours I was fine because it is technically a sale and you get 48 hours to register it there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ok, so long story short I'm hosed. After getting several different answers from dmv, I finally spoke to a supervisor in Carson city, he informed me they will not issue a movement permit unless the car and title are physically present in nevada. Colorado has repeatedly told me to pound sand because I'm not a resident. I can trailer the car back, but the rental of a car hauler, fuel on my truck, and round trip drive time would make it too expensive. So it looks like the last option is proof of insurance, signed title, and bill of sale and hope if I encounter law enforcement that they are understanding or at least just give me a fix-it ticket. Colorado gives 48 hours to register a newly purchased vehicle so I'm good there. Utah and Nevada will be a much more uptight driving situation.
View Quote

I ran into the same thing when I purchased my vehicle in AZ that was registered in NM.
The owner just left the NM plates on and I drove it home. Had they not left the plates, I would have done exactly as you described. Notarized bill of sale and proof of insurance in your name.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Ins. & Bill of sale along with the signed off and maybe even notarized title.
Leave CO at night, don't speed, at all, give the cops NO other reason than "registration" to pull you over.
That means making sure all the lights and signals work before you start.
Don't know your route but the major roads have fewer lurking local-yocal county cops trying to make their quota.
Time your trip to hit the first NV town with a DMV at opening.
Do the paperwork and registration there before getting to LV or deep into Nevada.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I have heard but don't know for sure that you can now get movement permits online.  if that is true then fly out do title stuff go online and get permit and then drive home.  Worth a shot anyway.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not have the family member apply for a duplicate title?  Just because they turned the plates in and it isn't currently registered doesn't mean it doesn't have a title.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top