Posted: 8/12/2015 9:18:10 AM EDT
Published on Aug 11, 2015

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
uggh tldw audio terrible

stay out and stay alive
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't watch the video yet. I will later. Is that you op? Are you in NN or SN? I go out all the time in NN exploring mines. I have a ton of photos I'll share with you if you want.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
uggh tldw audio terrible

stay out and stay alive
View Quote

Yup. I've done some crazy stuff in my time but going in old abandoned mines is crazy to me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yup. I've done some crazy stuff in my time but going in old abandoned mines is crazy to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
uggh tldw audio terrible

stay out and stay alive

Its not too bad. I learned the do's and don'ts from my friend who's a mining engineer. Some are okay to go in. Some aren't. You just gotta know what to look for, smell and hear. Rattle snakes is what gets me though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Its not too bad. I learned the do's and don'ts from my friend who's a mining engineer. Some are okay to go in. Some aren't. You just gotta know what to look for, smell and hear. Rattle snakes is what gets me though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
uggh tldw audio terrible

stay out and stay alive

What about confined spaces training.   No meters shown in the video.  Happened here at The Orleans a few years ago.  Few breaths of bad air and you DOA is minute if not seconds.  Stupid on the part of OP or whomever did it.  
Not to say I didn't help friend explore vertical shaft's as a teenager, but LIVE and learn.  Stay the hell out of those holes.  It's crazy to do that with adult knowledge.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope, Nope, Nope.

Stay out and stay alive.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 2:13:28 AM EDT
[#7]
That reminds me, anyone know how to turn a "Wicked Laser" into a vehicle mounted Black-light?

Plenty of interesting stuff to be found above ground with the right equipment.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:35:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I didn't watch the video yet. I will later. Is that you op? Are you in NN or SN? I go out all the time in NN exploring mines. I have a ton of photos I'll share with you if you want.
View Quote

Not my video. Post your photos here if you don't mind - I would be interested.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#9]
These are from a recent outing. Had to cross a very deep vertical shaft on a single plank.

I only go out with a crew. Never alone. My friend I work with who is a mine engineer, his friend who is a geologist. And occasionally a friend or two. We have air/gas detectors. Lots of lighting, safety equipment etc. Its actually pretty safe if you have all the proper gear, knowledge, training and common sense.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:05:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Confined spaces creep me out. Confined earthen spaces creep me out worse. You guys can have that shit. I love the history but am not ready to join it yet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
.....I love the history but am not ready to join it yet.
View Quote

That's funny shit right there
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
These are from a recent outing. Had to cross a very deep vertical shaft on a single plank.
http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/Umbrellacorparf/FullSizeRender_zpscfs6ulju.jpg</a>

I only go out with a crew. Never alone. My friend I work with who is a mine engineer, his friend who is a geologist. And occasionally a friend or two. We have air/gas detectors. Lots of lighting, safety equipment etc. Its actually pretty safe if you have all the proper gear, knowledge, training and common sense.
View Quote

To include safety harnesses in areas of fall hazards too I see.  Oh wait..  
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Published on Aug 11, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJE56p3g6dQ
View Quote

Just skip to the credits @ 22:45 to get an quick summary of video quality.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b440/Umbrellacorparf/FullSizeRender_zpscfs6ulju.jpg</a>

This isn't rock climbing. There are no pre drilled anchors to hook up to. Crossing a verticle shaft on a strong plank you bought is the easiest part of exploring mines. Were not going to trust any old piece of wood in a 100+ year old mine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:42:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This isn't rock climbing. There are no pre drilled anchors to hook up to. Crossing a verticle shaft on a strong plank you bought is the easiest part of exploring mines. Were not going to trust any old piece of wood in a 100+ year old mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There are still bodies at the bottom of mine shafts that the best S&R people couldn't get to with the best equipment.

I just stay out and stay alive.

Be safe when you go in there.

-Joe

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There are still bodies at the bottom of mine shafts that the best S&R people couldn't get to with the best equipment.

-Joe

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

-Joe

There sure are. I saw one shaft that was sealed up and converted into a tomb. Could never get the guy out. It was a very very weird feeling standing there knowing there was a persons body sitting at the bottom.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Curious to see how many mob dumps are at the bottom of some of those shafts.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Today's drones (Or a very long rope) with a GoPro camera and bright LED lights would make for some interesting finds.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Many years ago a guy brought in an old Winchester 94 for repair.
He had found it laying next to a skeleton in a mine.
He reported the skeleton to LE and they did recover it.
He did not report the '94 and kept it for himself.

Not sure how well drones would receive control signals underground around corners and down shafts?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not sure how well drones would receive control signals underground around corners and down shafts?
View Quote

The same way they do from miles away when they end up on the white house.  Powerful electronics.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The same way they do from miles away when they end up on the white house.  Powerful electronics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not an electronics expert but do know that the metallic minerals content of a mine is likely to work against control signals.
Pretty certain it's not the same as open sky.
Might have to run some sort of antennae through the mine in steps to retain control?
Underwater drones are cabled.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not an electronics expert but do know that the metallic minerals content of a mine is likely to work against control signals.
Might have to run some sort of antennae through the mine in steps to retain control?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking. Earth and air are entirely different. I remember getting my rc car stuck dead in the middle of a big culvert. Grandpa was not happy about that
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top