Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 9:23:51 PM EDT
I'm considering some land around Montello, but I'm not familiar with the area at all.  I'm looking for off-grid acreage with water well potential.  Am I smoking dope?

I'm retired and widowed and want to be in control of visitors.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the area and you can get very remote. I wouldn't be surprised if the well cost more than the land.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Montello is....well, Montello. Lots of interesting people out there, due to the cheap land. It's the type of place where people say "this is my sister and them be our kids"

I know some people with property, and a well and power will cost you double to triple that of the property. If you want to be in a remote, isolated area, that's it. Closest medical care is either Salt Lake City, or Elko, and you're at least two hours from Elko, 3 to Salt Lake. Yes there is Wells and Wendover, but not much for real medical care there. For groceries you will have to go to either Wells or Wendover as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Never heard of it, and I've been here a while
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never heard of it, and I've been here a while
View Quote

It's like deliverance, without the skill to play a banjo.

Growing up in Wells, my dad was a volunteer on the ambulance. He would always know he was in for an adventure when he got toned out to Montello.

One time they get a call for a dead body in the desert. Then they got a report that the dead body was running in the desert, with people chasing him in a truck. Then the dead body was getting pulled behind the truck while the occupants of the truck were shooting out street lights.

Another time gets a call or a possible dead body at some property near Montello. Shows up and this guy is out front watering his dogs, and he points at the house and says his wife is inside. Says she isn't doing very good so he threw her on some oxygen and it didn't make her wake up. Goes inside and finds a very dead lady, with the oxygen hose from a torch set up in her mouth, with flies crawling in and out.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:10:54 AM EDT
[#6]
 Don't let these guys dissuade you with out checking it out in person. Take a week or so off and drive out with your truck and look the country over. There is a hell of a lot of country up there in northern Elko County and you can find a place where your neighbors will be few and far between.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:31:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I would look at the San Jacinto / Jackpot area.  Jackpot at least has an airport of sorts.    Twin Falls ID is not too far off, if you need things.

Of course if you really want isolation...  Tuscarora, NV
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:49:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would look at the San Jacinto / Jackpot area.  Jackpot at least has an airport of sorts.    Twin Falls ID is not too far off, if you need things.

Of course if you really want isolation...  Tuscarora, NV
View Quote

Good idea
Salmon Falls Creek Reservoir is close too and all that other cool southern Idaho stuff
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Many thanks for the responses.  I'm about to start a two-month vacation dragging my 21' trailer and planned on spending some time in various areas looking at property.  I'm downsizing a little.  As of the end of July, I'll be homeless.

Before:

After:

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm considering some land around Montello, but I'm not familiar with the area at all.  I'm looking for off-grid acreage with water well potential.  Am I smoking dope?

I'm retired and widowed and want to be in control of visitors.
View Quote

We've been looking in the Winnemucca area. LOT'S of wide open space. However the cost of a well can get up there real fast.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn that's a nice pad OP. Good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I assume that you're talking about the Hideout.  

The house is just too big for one person.  There's no family in the area and I lost my wife about 18 months ago, so it's time to go.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I may be weird but I prefer trailers to houses....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I'm actually enjoying my stay in the Hideout.  It's cozy.  I found myself living in three rooms in the house most of the time anyway.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#16]
check out smile4uinc.com  they have plenty of property for sale in that area.  We have used them in the past and they are good to go.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
check out smile4uinc.com  they have plenty of property for sale in that area.  We have used them in the past and they are good to go.
View Quote

Thanks for the recommendation.  That's who I've been talking to.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The house is just too big for one person.  There's no family in the area and I lost my wife about 18 months ago, so it's time to go.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for your loss, I've met some folks from Montello professionally, interesting lot to say the least. Come to Elko, park the trailer and then drive around Elko county. Get a feel for the area before you commit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double tap
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sorry for your loss, I've met some folks from Montello professionally, interesting lot to say the least. Come to Elko, park the trailer and then drive around Elko county. Get a feel for the area before you commit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're a doctor that says one thing,  If you're a DEA agent, that's a whole other thing.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you're a doctor that says one thing,  If you're a DEA agent, that's a whole other thing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Medical.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top