Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2015 2:35:58 PM EDT
After spending the past few hours searching i continue to come across thread posts that contradict themselves concerning how to not be in violation of the law when open carrying and carrying in your car in North Las Vegas.

The questions I specifically have are -

IS IT LEGAL TO DRIVE WITH A LOADED REGISTERED HANDGUN IN YOUR CAR AND ON YOUR PERSON IN NORTH LAS VEGAS?

THERE ARE LAWS ABOUT DRIVING WITH UNLOADED LONG GUNS, WHAT SPECIFIALLY DOES THIS ENTITLE AND IF YOU HAVE AN SUV, HOW DO YOU KEEP AMMO SEPERATE?

Serious answers only, let this thread be the end all to the confusion.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#1]
NLV Muni code:
9.32.080 - Deadly weapon prohibited in vehicle—Exceptions.

It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession in any automobile, truck, motorcycle, or any other type of vehicle any dangerous or deadly weapon, but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation.

So there you have it.  

However, if you have a CCW, all is good.  Keep calm and carry on.

As for the loaded long gun that is essentially a fish and game law.  Loaded means one in the chamber.  So full mag with bolt home on an empty chamber is fine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NLV Muni code:
9.32.080 - Deadly weapon prohibited in vehicle—Exceptions.

It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession in any automobile, truck, motorcycle, or any other type of vehicle any dangerous or deadly weapon, but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation.

So there you have it.  

However, if you have a CCW, all is good.  Keep calm and carry on.

As for the loaded long gun that is essentially a fish and game law.  Loaded means one in the chamber.  So full mag with bolt home on an empty chamber is fine.
View Quote

I spoke with a lady at the Police Department over the phone today, she said open carry was legal. Does transportation of the handgun I am OCing say to the store and home count as recreation?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I used to oc to the bank..grocery store...lots of places. Never had a problem. If you have your gold grillz in and your hat on sideways with your pants hanging below your ass expect to be contacted. Otherwise you will be just fine.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Understood brother, but you can OC in a bank????
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
technically the laws prohibiting a firearm in your vehicle in NLV and boulder city are preempted by state law

NRS 244.364, NRS 268.418, and NRS 269.222 state that except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the legislature reserves to itself the right to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and that no county, city or town respectively may infringe upon these rights. These laws specifically allow localities to regulate the unsafe discharge of firearms, and they also allow Clark County to maintain handgun registration. However, one must be in Clark County for 60 days before registration is required. Also, per NRS 407.0475 the Nevada Division of State Parks may not enforce regulations more restrictive than the state law with regards to firearm possession and self-defense.  

if I ever got busted for that I would fight it tooth and nail till either the case was thrown out or the law overturned and then sue for unlawful arrest and detention and whatever else I could sue for. So far I've never been stopped in NLV and of the times I've been stopped in NV I've only once been asked about what weapons I had in the vehicle by some rookie state trooper near alamo and I suspect he wouldn't have asked if I hadn't told him I was duck hunting.

In short you could beat the rap but not the ride and it would be an expensive and lengthy process.
Don't get pulled over with a blunt in your mouth and a stolen glock on the passenger seat and I think you'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to oc to the bank..grocery store...lots of places. Never had a problem. If you have your gold grillz in and your hat on sideways with your pants hanging below your ass expect to be contacted. Otherwise you will be just fine.

NO.

Absolutely NOT!

Banks are insured by the FDIC and and therefore if you carry a gun in a bank open or concealed you are guilty of bank robbery even if you don't rob the bank (10 years MINIMUM). That's what my CCW instructor told me. I wouldn't take the chance.

Federal Law and all that...

Look it up.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

NO.

Absolutely NOT!

Banks are insured by the FDIC and and therefore if you carry a gun in a bank open or concealed you are guilty of bank robbery even if you don't rob the bank (10 years MINIMUM). That's what my CCW instructor told me. I wouldn't take the chance.

Look it up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO.

Absolutely NOT!

Look it up.

Now that's a new one, guilty of bank robbery because FDIC insurance makes a bank federal property?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
joe i think u've been hanging out in GD too much lately
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh c'mon. Sarcasm? Maybe? Just a little.......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO.

Absolutely NOT!

Look it up.

Now that's a new one, guilty of bank robbery because FDIC insurance makes a bank federal property?

Oh c'mon. Sarcasm? Maybe? Just a little.......

I certainly hope so. If not I want a cite.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

NO.

Absolutely NOT!

Look it up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO.

Absolutely NOT!

Look it up.

It's okay, I carry Federal HSTs on board
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:00:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
joe i think u've been hanging out in GD too much lately
View Quote

Not at all, Obo.

Those were the words from a person that I had a conversation with about CCW regarding where it is legal and illegal to carry.

They actually stood by those comments and praised the instructor who was supposedly a retired FBI agent or some shit.

You should know me better than that, Bro.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:10:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

NO.

Absolutely NOT!

Look it up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO.

Absolutely NOT!

Look it up.

Don't worry.  If you do happen to find yourself wandering into a bank while carrying, simply retreat to a nearby IHOP.  As this is international territory local law enforcement will not be able to arrest you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top