Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2015 7:13:12 PM EDT
Hello all,

I am in final negotiations for a job that would involve traveling to 5 different locations on a rotating basis. Two near LA, Phoenix and two back east. Since I would be flying a lot living near an airport with good connections is a must and since three of the locations are close to LV I am thinking to live there.

What is the AR/shooting situation like in the LV area?
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Clark County has a community shooting range. Some of the vegas locals can probably give you more info on it since I live 200 miles from it. There is a private shooting range out by Boulder City that I have used my ARs at on several occasions. I wasn't bothered by a range master when I used it. Nevada is gun friendly for the most part. Clark County has a handgun registration scheme but it may go away this year if they are lucky. If you have a gun trust you can skip the idiocy of the CLEO sign off and have SBRs and supressors with no problems.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
ban on shooting within city limits except at ranges. see the tacked thread blue card and where to shoot for the city limits in regards to the shooting ban.

there are a ton of ranges as well as blm land where you can shoot as far as you want. We have a lot of gun stores so you can get whatever ar stuff you want our HTF favorite is new frontier armory a site sponsor here and a manufacturer of some pretty nice lowers.

I personally go shooting near nelson nv a bit south of boulder city. There are also popular target shooting areas near sloan to the south of the city and near the trunoff for mt charleston to the north  The boulder city rifle pistol club is a pretty inexpensive place and a nice range and I enjoy stopping through boulder city for a beverage dinner and live music after shooting.

la is only 4-5 hours and pheonix is about 5 hours drive. Some real cheap flights going to la not sure about pheonix.

The removal of the handgun registration as well as campus carry and some additional reciprocity and less restrictive knife laws has already passed out of one house needs to hit the other side and then get signed off by sandoval. We have a pretty red state gov right now so i expect it to get put in to law. see the nv legislature thread for more details
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Desert Sportsmans and Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club are both nice ranges that are membership type ranges.  You'll find that there are a lot of shooters and a good competition shooting community as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:53:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Live as far west or south as you can. (newer, cleaner, safer)

If you live near the 215 on the south or west side of town, the airport is only 10-15ish min away.

Check the BLM "shooting area" map to see where you can shoot. Basically nowhere inside the valley or in one of the state/fed parks.

Oh ya, google "pig farm north las vegas". Stay at least 7 miles away from it. Fucker stinks BAD when the sun goes down.

The NE side of the valley is mostly non-English speaking.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:24:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:38:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate the feedback, thanks. I lived in Phoenix for 10 years. I think that was probably enough.

I did receive the job offer today. I will be traveling to LA and Phoenix on a regular basis so LV is a central location. Also a few places back east so having good flights is important.

I expect to be there in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP do yourself a favor and move to Phoenix.

View Quote

I am guessing you haven't look there for crime.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Forgive Wolfpack.  He's a Mod.  A prerequisite for being a Mod is to be perpetually grumpy.

I live in the Northwest part of town, Grand Teton and Rainbow.  Absolutely love it.  Wouldn't live anywhere else.  Pretty good distance to the airport so I'm not sure it's for you but it's a great part of the valley with easy access to US-95 and the 215 Loop.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Forgive Wolfpack.  He's a Mod.  A prerequisite for being a Mod is to be perpetually grumpy.

I live in the Northwest part of town, Grand Teton and Rainbow.  Absolutely love it.  Wouldn't live anywhere else.  Pretty good distance to the airport so I'm not sure it's for you but it's a great part of the valley with easy access to US-95 and the 215 Loop.
View Quote

Yep, I'm in the NW (Centennial Hills) too and wouldn't live anywhere else in town.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep, I'm in the NW (Centennial Hills) too and wouldn't live anywhere else in town.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AL Bob , Andielouroo... agreed the area is nice, but buy flood insurance. That whole area is a Flood Plane.  Also with the slow continued building out here, water paths could change from one year to the next.  I wouldn't want to see a post where flood water came though my livingroom from you both.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh this is funny stuff...
I'm with Wolfpack on most everything he said
You can't change someones mind when its been made up
He'll see, he'll like it or he won't, good luck OP
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been on military assignment in Egypt and Somalia. I'm thinking that I can deal with LV. :)

Not looking to be a a stickler for detail here but the first post was asking about shooting............

Quoted:

What is the AR/shooting situation like in the LV area?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:44:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Anything we didnt cover for shooting op?

As for wolpacks post ala vegas being a shithole id have to disagree. While there are not so great parts of town they pale in comparrison to some of the bad neighborhoods ive seen elsewhere. I live by boulder higway and gibson, we get a decent number of homeless folks getting services from central christian church but ive never felt unsafe at all hours of the night jogging biking or whatever. Before i moved here i lived in pittsburgh in a crappy apartment that was broken into about 5 times the last year i lived there. Police response time was an hour plus. Here even though i have a henderson address and am under metro jurisdiction the police have a response time of about 5 minutes even for minor disturbance calls.

Its kind of an interesting city you'll see very high end homes next to some pretty crappy neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Y'all have give me quite a few locations of places to shoot, thank you. Are there any sort of organized matches for AR's?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Y'all have give me quite a few locations of places to shoot, thank you. Are there any sort of organized matches for AR's?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that would fall under 3 gun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i occasionally go to the monthly 3 gun matches at boulder city rifle pistol club.

there's a thread for the large annual match in may here http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_22/578412_Brpc_three_gun__end_of_days_match.html, but they have a less expensive less involved match every month.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Howdy,

as far as matches for AR style rifles...

there is an active High Power rifle shooting group holding monthly matches for both Service and Match rifle.

Also Nellis Air Force Base has been running some tactical matches lately.

If you want more info drop me a message and I will be happy to give you more details

Tim Beghtol
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I live in the NE side of Vegas, in "The Ghetto".
I've had no real problems here, with the exception of loud mexican music on occasion.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:41:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I live in the NE side of Vegas, in "The Ghetto".

I've had no real problems here, with the exception of loud mexican music on occasion.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I want to move to Vegas as well, northwest perhaps, but you guys make it sound like a friggin war zone. Every home needs a sniper nest etc etc lol. I know the crime is spread all over the north Las Vegas area, I track their cute little monthly crime map but crime can happen anywhere, even in the sticks. Stay armed, keep your head on a swivel. Now to convince my wife it's safe enough for her. Hmmm. Decisions decisions. Then we have the whole Lake Mead thread(s) regarding water shortages and rationing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I want to move to Vegas as well, northwest perhaps, but you guys make it sound like a friggin war zone. Every home needs a sniper nest etc etc lol. I know the crime is spread all over the north Las Vegas area, I track their cute little monthly crime map but crime can happen anywhere, even in the sticks. Stay armed, keep your head on a swivel. Now to convince my wife it's safe enough for her. Hmmm. Decisions decisions. Then we have the whole Lake Mead thread(s) regarding water shortages and rationing.
View Quote

northwest enough is really summerlin, a pretty nice part of town.

as for the rationing, even if we hit the maximum rationing it only rations vegas' water usage by 7,000 acre feet as oppposed to 100s of thousands in other areas. We don't use a ton of water here.

ETA. Just don't buy a house sight unseen go check out the neighborhood especially at night
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Last time I checked grandmothers and grandchildren are still visiting Las Vegas. :) I think number of the annual visitors is 30,000,000.

I will be there next week and can give you an 'on the ground' report.

Thanks to those that have given me ideas about places to shoot.

I need to do some load development when I get there. Where is a place that is amenable to setting up a chronograph?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I've seen cars stolen from driveways in the gated fortress communities as well as street signs tagged in those places. You never know. I will definitely check them out at night.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Gated community? Taxi dispatchers broadcast gate codes and locations 24 hours a day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#26]
SteveOAK

If you want drop me a line and I can take you to Boulder rifle and Pistol Club where they have member ranges we can set up a chronograph.

We can use mine or yours.

Happy to help in any way I can.

Tim Beghtol

[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Delete duplicate post
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Gated community? Taxi dispatchers broadcast gate codes and locations 24 hours a day.
View Quote

LOL WHAT?!! Wow that is crazy. Good Intel to know.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you spend enough, there is no gate code, but an armed guard at the gate. I don't have that kind of coin.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#30]
If you spend enough, there is no gate code, but an armed guard at the gate. I don't have that kind of coin.
View Quote

Am I the only one that finds this creepy?

The honest folk are behind walls with armed guards controlling entry and exit.
The only difference between this and prison is that technically a judge did not put them there and they can leave at will.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The only difference between this and prison is that technically a judge did not put them there and they can leave at will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

meanwhile shit heads just hop the wall 100 feet from the guard shack.

completely pointless feel good waste of money imho.

our hoa has a guard but no gates, lazy fuck just sits in his car with a stupid flashing yellow light on. I suppose it does act as a bit of a deterent
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Lake Mead is a non-issue.  Sure there's a bunch of hoopla about an intake getting exposed but there is another one (the third) intake being brought online that is plenty deep.  

The Las Vegas Valley draws all of a foot and a half of water per year from Lake Mead.  California uses orders of magnitude more than we do.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I arrived in Las Vegas today and have an appointment to lease an apartment tomorrow.

The AR needs some exercise so that will probably happen early next week after I take a few days to settle in.

Thanks for all the input on places to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I arrived in Las Vegas today and have an appointment to lease an apartment tomorrow.

The AR needs some exercise so that will probably happen early next week after I take a few days to settle in.

View Quote

I should be out at the county range tomorrow at 6pm (north end of Decatur Blvd) . I'll be shooting the 200 yard lanes with a blue and stainless bolt gun. Stop by and say hi.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:30:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. NW area is nice, has the Clark County Shooting Park up the road, and pretty much every area is new, and has nice quiet neighborhoods. I've lived in the separate areas of it from the Centennial Hills area, to the N. Decatur area near the DMV, and now own a home in the N. Jones/W. Ann Rd area, and we love it. Homes are still being built in the area, and property values are increasing.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I should be out at the county range tomorrow at 6pm (north end of Decatur Blvd) . I'll be shooting the 200 yard lanes with a blue and stainless bolt gun. Stop by and say hi.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was still pretty involved in the moving in process so I Was not able to make it Friday. Thanks for the invite. I will take a rain check if offered.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Finally got to go shooting today with TBeghtol at the Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club.

We had a great time, got to burn some powder and shoot some shit.

Nice place too. I am looking forward to having a go at the 100 and 200 yard gongs on the Silhouette range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top