Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2015 11:44:50 AM EDT
I live in Douglas county. We don't have to smog our cars here, so I have not kept up on whether or not my car will pass smog, so it may need repairs, but all the equipment is still on it ,,factory. 1988 vehicle.

A Californian wants to buy my car but mentioned that "I" am responsible for it passing smog to include all repairs.

If true, I won't sell it to him as i don't want the hassle, if not true I'll kindly tell him the facts, and yes I'll check with DMV on Monday as well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]
California problem.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Never agree to those terms..... It may be more than the sale price.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Not your problem.  Tell the Calitard to FOAD.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Um, hell no.  If he wants it he can deal with the smog police on his own.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]
It might pass here in Nevada, but who knows if it will pass in California.
The smog regulations are a lot different in California.

It used to be that there were 49 state cars and  California cars. California had extra smog equipment. and they would make you add said equipment to comply.
I don't know how true that is anymore. but to me it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

What kind of car do you have that he can't find one in his own state?
Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Guy thinks he's being sly and getting one over on you. Cali regs are stringent. As is.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I assume he's trying to include that in the terms of the sale rather than stating it's some kind of law.  Do NOT agree to those terms, you'd leave yourself wide open for being raked over the coals.

(If he's claiming it's a law he's an idiot or he thinks you're an idiot.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#9]
"No warranty expressed or implied".

"Smog repair" could be more than your selling price!
Nice racket, buy your car then demand to get a big refund from you for "Repair" before parting the car out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Tell him he should read the laws and requirements of passing smog. It's on the owner not the seller. If he owns the 1988 vehicle he is responsible for it passing smog. Your Nevada vehicle has never been smuggled in California and you're not going to comment on the ability or inability of the vehicle to meet emission requirements of States where you have not smuggled the vehicle or do not know the laws. The buyer assumes all responsibility of smog including in Nevada. I wouldn't tell him Douglas doesn't smog.  I'd say it meets Nevada emission requirements for the county it is registered in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top