Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2015 3:09:10 AM EDT
the gf is wanting some form of personal defense and to be able to have it on unlv campus.
this is the product I have helped her select so far
http://www.foxlabs.com/products/pepper-spray/Foam-Units_AE6.html
fox labs as recommended by gd general consensus and the choice of the foam unit as it may need to be deployed indoors.

She wanted to make absolutely certain that she is allowed to have it on campus. so here are the relevant documents and legislation that i could find
i apologize for the wall of legal text, questions in super size font below

from unlv student conduct code

N. Without prior written authorization from the President or his/her designee, possessing,
storing, controlling, or using a functioning or nonfunctioning firearm, firework,
explosive, incendiary device, or other weapon or device classified as a weapon by the
State of Nevada, or utilizing any instrument to simulate a weapon in a manner that
endangers or tends to endanger, threaten, or intimidate any person. NOTES: “Firearm”
is defined as any gun, rifle, pistol, or handgun designed to fire bullets, BBs, pellets, or
shots – including paintballs – regardless of the propellant used. “Other weapon” is
defined as any instrument of combat or any object not designed as an instrument of
combat but carried for the purpose of inflicting or threatening bodily injury. Examples
include, but are not limited to: knives with fixed blades or pocketknives with blades
longer than four inches, metal knuckles, hatchets, nunchakus, or any explosive or
incendiary device.
View Quote

from nevada revised statutes

NRS 202.265  Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school or child care facility; penalty; exceptions.
     1.  Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not carry or possess while on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, a private or public school or child care facility, or while in a vehicle of a private or public school or child care facility:
     (a) An explosive or incendiary device;
     (b) A dirk, dagger or switchblade knife;
     (c) A nunchaku or trefoil;
     (d) A blackjack or billy club or metal knuckles;
     (e) A pistol, revolver or other firearm; or
    (f) Any device used to mark any part of a person with paint or any other substance.
     2.  Any person who violates subsection 1 is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.
     3.  This section does not prohibit the possession of a weapon listed in subsection 1 on the property of:
     (a) A private or public school or child care facility by a:
            (1) Peace officer;
            (2) School security guard; or
            (3) Person having written permission from the president of a branch or facility of the Nevada System of Higher Education or the principal of the school or the person designated by a child care facility to give permission to carry or possess the weapon.
     (b) A child care facility which is located at or in the home of a natural person by the person who owns or operates the facility so long as the person resides in the home and the person complies with any laws governing the possession of such a weapon.
     4.  The provisions of this section apply to a child care facility located at or in the home of a natural person only during the normal hours of business of the facility.
     5.  For the purposes of this section:
     (a) “Child care facility” means any child care facility that is licensed pursuant to chapter 432A of NRS or licensed by a city or county.
     (b) “Firearm” includes any device from which a metallic projectile, including any ball bearing or pellet, may be expelled by means of spring, gas, air or other force.
     (c) “Nunchaku” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
     (d) “Switchblade knife” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
     (e) “Trefoil” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
     (f) “Vehicle” has the meaning ascribed to “school bus” in NRS 484A.230.
     (Added to NRS by 1989, 656; A 1993, 364; 1995, 1151; 2001, 806; 2007, 1913)
View Quote

bold section in nrs refers to device used to mark with paint or other substance. This would seem to me to refer to paintball guns also known as markers.
I know we've got at least one metro officer on here if anyone can help to clarify this it would be greatly appreciated.

there is also a section of nrs which refers to tear gas weapons being as the above linked product is less than 2 oz it should be gtg anyway but would the above product be considered a teargas weapon if in a larger than 2oz container considering that its active ingredient is oleoresin capsicum which is derived from natural substances?

NRS 202.370  Definitions.  As used in NRS 202.370 to 202.440, inclusive:
     1.  “Shell,” “cartridge” or “bomb” includes all shells, cartridges or bombs capable of being discharged or exploded, when such discharge or explosions will cause or permit the release or emission of tear gas.
     2.  “Tear gas” includes all liquid, gaseous or solid substances intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or permanent injury through being vaporized or otherwise dispersed in the air. The term does not include a liquid, gaseous or solid substance whose active ingredient is composed of natural substances or products derived from natural substances which cause no permanent injury through being vaporized or otherwise dispersed in the air.
     3.  “Weapon designed for the use of such shell, cartridge or bomb” includes all revolvers, pistols, fountain pen guns, billies, riot guns or other form of device, portable or fixed, intended for the projection or release of tear gas except those regularly manufactured and sold for use with firearm ammunition.
     [2:273:1955]—(NRS A 1977, 887; 1981, 2051)

NRS 202.375  Applicability of NRS 202.370 to 202.440, inclusive, to small weapons containing “CS” tear gas and to certain law enforcement, correctional and military personnel.
     1.  The provisions of NRS 202.370 to 202.440, inclusive, do not apply to the sale or purchase by any adult, or the possession or use by any person, including a minor but not including a convicted person as defined in NRS 179C.010, of any form of:
    (a) Cartridge which contains not more than 2 fluid ounces in volume of “CS” tear gas that may be propelled by air or another gas, but not an explosive, in the form of an aerosol spray; or
     (b) Weapon designed for the use of such a cartridge which does not exceed that size,
Ê and which is designed and intended for use as an instrument of self-defense.
     2.  A seller, before delivering to a purchaser a cartridge or weapon which may be sold pursuant to subsection 1, must record and maintain for not less than 2 years the name and address of the purchaser and the brand name, model number or type, and serial number if there is one, of the weapon or cartridge, or both.
     3.  The provisions of NRS 202.370 to 202.440, inclusive, do not prohibit police departments or regular salaried peace officers thereof, sheriffs and their regular salaried deputies, the Director, deputy director and superintendents of, and guards employed by, the Department of Corrections, personnel of the Nevada Highway Patrol or the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States from purchasing, possessing or transporting any shells, cartridges, bombs or weapons for official use in the discharge of their duties.
     4.  As used in this section, “CS” tear gas means a crystalline powder containing ortho-chlorobenzalmalononitrile.
     (Added to NRS by 1981, 2050; A 2001 Special Session, 232)
View Quote

eta following the rules first time she shot a gun
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Teargas is a brand and a chemical composition. OC spray is not teargas. It is also not a marker.

Here is an old LV Sun article on an anti-gun movement for campus, which covers pepper spray being legal too-- Stupidity here
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You will not have any problems with pepper spray on the UNLV campus as long as:

1. Don't wave it around like an idiot (IE walk around the student union during lunch time with it in your hand)
2. Use it for defensive purposes only.

I have taken reports where both women and men have used pepper spray or threated to use it (for the right reasons) and never had a problem with UNLV and the thought never crossed my mind to arrest or enforce anything on the victim.
A student used pepper spray on one of our officers and got lit up by a taser.

We even looked into stun guns being illegal on campus. The ones that shoot a probe are considered a firearm, per NRS, on campus, but contact stun guns are not considered firearms.

Student Disciplinary may be another issue (not with pepper spray) with stun guns.

Sometimes I wished I still worked there, but landed an awesome job somewhere else. I really really miss the yoga pants, free starbucks, friendly atmostsphere, the fire alarms in the middle of the night at the dorms, and did I mention the yoga pants

If you like I can also tell you where to park to avoid accidents and car burgs, and where to not go to stay safe.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#3]
thank you gentlemen

I was pretty sure, that las vegas sun article was the first thing i saw and i wasn't even going to bother to dig any further.

She asked again if i was sure so i figured I'd dig up everything i could on the subject.

mmmmm yoga pants
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I suggest that your girlfriend contact the UNLV University Police. http://police.unlv.edu/

NRS 202.265 not withstanding, do not be surprised if the UNLV University Police tell her NO!  
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Already done my man

Even though they can be bat-sh*t crazy some times they have never gone after anyone that has legitimently defended themselves.

They even have said some pretty sane things about self defense behind closed doors, and stated "I will never file charges on anyone that defended themselves because I don't want to end up on the news looking like I am victimizing and victim all over again."  

Main thing to worry about is school admin and student disciplinary if Phil Burns is still incharge you won't have a problem

Oh, and lots of ladies carry pepper spray in their keychains at school, both students and staff.

A little sanity is left in the world, now just need to get campus carry passed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top