Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2015 10:44:40 PM EDT
Long story short it's time I make a few SBR's and get rid of my AR/AK "pistols". From what I gather the easiest and quickest turn around time is going with some form of Trust and E filing. What's the easiest way to set up the Trust and should I go NFA/gun or some other type of trust? I'll not have a ton of money in NFA stuff, figure 2 SBR AR lower's an SBR AK and probably 2 or 3 suppressors later on, that's it. Their will only be 2 maybe 3 members of the trust, I'll have my wife as a trustee and maybe my son (22) does him residing in Nebraska present any problems?

I'm thinking based on the amount of $'s and # of people involved I don't need to go the lawyer route but if that's the safest way then so be it. If quicken will maker will accomplish the same result even better! saved $'s can go for stamps Do I need to set up a bank account for the trust to buy the stamps? or can I just pay with funds from my personal account during the E-file process? Other than setting up the Trust and possibly bank account is their anything else I should do?

I'll need someone to do the Trust engraving on the receivers, I think NFA does engraving, if not, I'm sure someone in town can do it... any recommendations? I'll be making my suppressor purchases from NFA so that part should go nice and smooth once I have my Trust.

Thanks for any info!

John
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I would spend a little extra and talk to Ben Bunker locally (Vegas) and have a trust set up custom for you. You may hear his name come up again. Just keep it in mind, he's treated me well. Quicken is another option and I hear it produces an acceptable trust relatively painlessly. As for everything else... I only have suppressors in my trust, and don't want to jump in out of my depth.

ETA: I only own a few items, and use my trust exclusively for NFA.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Northwind,

Thanks for the info! Apparently, I can't even get the topic in the right place... maybe a lawyer is not a bad idea

I won't be using the Trust for anything other than the few NFA items, I'm still not positive I'll get the suppressors, the SBR's are the only certain items for now.

Thanks again,

John
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:38:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Ben Bunker for the trust, Tergus Customs for great while you wait laser engraving.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:48:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I created my own trust with Quicken and it has worked well for me.

However, if I were going to start over/ do it again, I'd go with Ben Bunker..and I'm a Northern guy!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Contacted Ben Bunker, seems like a nice guy and sent me the forms via E-mail to get the ball rolling this morning... I just sent the completed forms back so
I should have a Trust in a week or so. With any luck I'll have 2 F1's back sometime in march

thanks for the help fellas,

John
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
When you go to meet him and sign the papers, he'll explain all the other fine workings of the trust, how it operates, where and how things go if you die, etc. That would be a good time to ask him about payment methods. I always use USPS MO, FWIW. But honestly, that's just because I haven't asked, or risked, paying with a personal check drawn on my name.

Have fun
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Northwind,

How do you file? I'm guessing by mail since your using MO's for payment. I'm planning the E-file route so I'll need to use a CC. I spoke with Ben about the need for a Trust bank account, he told me most people don't set one up and its NOT required by law.

got myself registered with ATF online... took me like 10 tries. boxes randomly changed during the process, my browser(IE11) was not properly supported even though a pop up told me anything above IE7 WAS supported  So I ended up getting Google chrome and still had issues with random boxes changing all on their own...I hope the form process is a little smother than registration.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you go to meet him and sign the papers, he'll explain all the other fine workings of the trust, how it operates, where and how things go if you die, etc. That would be a good time to ask him about payment methods. I always use USPS MO, FWIW. But honestly, that's just because I haven't asked, or risked, paying with a personal check drawn on my name.

Have fun
View Quote

I've paid for 3 can stamps with a personal check, (I did do my first one via MO & 1 other via visa when we had e-forms) they don't give 2 shits where the money comes from and it gives you the check cashed/pending date quicker than calling them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Ben Bunker is freaking awesome, He sent me my Trust draft this morning I verified the info, signed and notarized it so my Trust is done! After looking over several guides to form 1's I logged into AFT online...10min and $200 later I'm now waiting for my first stamp approval

I stopped into NFA today, they do offer SBR engraving services done by Tergus for $45, odd because Tergus lists $80 for SBR engraving on their web site
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ben Bunker is freaking awesome, He sent me my Trust draft this morning I verified the info, signed and notarized it so my Trust is done! After looking over several guides to form 1's I logged into AFT online...10min and $200 later I'm now waiting for my first stamp approval

I stopped into NFA today, they do offer SBR engraving services done by Tergus for $45, odd because Tergus lists $80 for SBR engraving on their web site
View Quote

What's the going rate for an NFA trust by him?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:18:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What's the going rate for an NFA trust by him?
View Quote

$199.   Honestly I think it was money well spent, if my forms (yeah I filed another) get rejected it's because I screwed up something on the F1... not an issue with the trust.

Contact info:
http://nevadaguntrustattorney.com/

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've paid for 3 can stamps with a personal check, (I did do my first one via MO & 1 other via visa when we had e-forms) they don't give 2 shits where the money comes from and it gives you the check cashed/pending date quicker than calling them.
View Quote

Thanks. Good to know. I guess I hadn't thought to even ask anyone until this thread came up .

Shultz- have you gotten all your questions answered? I assume so, since you're on the road already. It's great to have as many NFA owners in the community as possible.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like I'm going to need this to. FUATF.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Shultz- have you gotten all your questions answered? I assume so, since you're on the road already. It's great to have as many NFA owners in the community as possible.
View Quote

Northwind,

I think I'm GTG. I have both stamps SUBMITED/IN PROCESS so that's a good sign. I'll be getting the engraving done week after next... I figure this coming week is a loss due to SHOT show. Once engraved and I get my stamps back(fingers crossed) I'll post up some pictures.

Thanks again for all the help, I think going the Ben bunker route for my trust was sound advice..

John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top