Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Think I get to buy the gf a gun if 148 passes.
This is an updated list as of today April 10th, which is Committee First House Passage Deadline.  Some bills are off the list due to their failure to pass by that time.
SB175
Makes various changes relating to public safety.
Senator Roberson’s bill is a domestic violence gun bill.  It prevents individuals convicted of domestic violence from purchasing a firearm.  It extends the Castle Doctrine to occupied motor vehicles.  It creates reciprocity for anyone who is 21 years old and has a CCW from another jurisdiction, and eliminates Clark County’s gun registration program.  It was heard in  Senate Judiciary on February 25th at 1:00 pm.  It passed out of Senate Judiciary on March 13th. Passed the Senate floor on March 23rd with 14 Yeas and 5 Nays.

SB176
Revises provisions governing certain dangerous or deadly weapons.
Senator Settelmeyer’s bill allows for the possession of switchblade knives, authorizes belt buckle knives, and preempts counties or municipalities from passing knife laws.  It was heard in  Senate Judiciary on February 27th at 1:00 pm.  It passed out of Senate Judiciary on March 27th.  Passed the Senate floor on April 8th  with 21 Yeas and 0 Nays.

SB240

Makes certain changes relating to public safety

Senator Roberson’s bill sets time frames on information that a person is not mentally healthy must be sent to the criminal repository.   This will help insure those that are not mentally well will not be allowed to purchase firearms.   It was heard in  Senate Judiciary on February 23rd at 1:00 pm.  It passed out of Senate Judiciary on March 27th.  Passed the Senate floor on April 2nd  with 20 Yeas and 0 Nays.

AB100
Requires the Attorney General to bring an action to protect and secure certain constitutional rights of residents of this State under certain circumstances.
Assemblyman Ellison’s bill seeks to have the Attorney General’s office protect Second amendment rights.  It was heard in Assembly Judiciary on April 7th at 8:00 am and given a Do Pass recommendation.
AB139
Revises provisions governing the issuance of permits to carry concealed firearms.
Assemblyman Wheeler’s bill allows for reciprocity with other state CCW permits.  It was heard in Assembly Judiciary committee on February 25th at 8:00 am.  Amend and do pass on March 18th at 8:00 am.
AB148
Revises provisions governing concealed firearms.
Assemblywoman Fiore’s bill allows a law enforcement department to give information about courses on handgun safety, and also allows for the carrying of a firearm with a permit on university property, or other areas.  It was heard in Assembly Judiciary committee on March 5th  8:00 am.  Amend and do pass on March 18th at 8:00 am.  Passed the Assembly floor on April 6th with 24 Yeas and 15 Nays.

AB167 Authorizes the storage and carrying of firearms and ammunition on the premises of a family foster home or by certain persons who reside in a family foster home under certain circumstances. Assemblywoman Fiore’s allows for the storage of firearms and ammunition in foster care homes. It was heard in Assembly Judiciary committee on March 4th at 8:00 am.   Do pass on March 18th at 8:00 am.  Passed the Assembly floor on March 23rd with 26 Yeas and 15 Nays.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

SB176
Revises provisions governing certain dangerous or deadly weapons.
Senator Settelmeyer’s bill allows for the possession of switchblade knives, authorizes belt buckle knives, and preempts counties or municipalities from passing knife laws.  It was heard in  Senate Judiciary on February 27th at 1:00 pm.  It passed out of Senate Judiciary on March 27th.  Passed the Senate floor on April 8th  with 21 Yeas and 0 Nays.
View Quote

Gosh!  You mean they'll actually allow us to put a pocket knife in our pocket like Americans used to be able to do before weepy NYC liberal hand-wringers got all verklempt about Riff getting stabbed to death by Bernardo in West Side Story?

That's basically where all that stupid 1950s anti-automatic pocketknife shit came from:  A goddamned Stephen Sondheim musical on Broadway.  

Liberal girls actually cried real tears when that shitty actor Russ Tamblyn got knifed in the movie adaptation of West Side Story, but I didn't see them calling for laws against Godzilla, Rodan, King Ghidora, and Green Gargantua in all those campy Japanese sci-fi flicks Russ Tamblyn had to make for Toho Pictures after he became box office poison in the United States.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#3]
SJR11: Constitutional Amendment to preserve the right to Hunt, Fish and Trap in Nevada
HEARING: Thurs. April 23, 1:30pm
Senate Natural Resources Committee, Rm. 3138
No teleconferencing listed at this time.

MESSAGE: Vote for SJR11 to preserve the right to hunt, fish and trap. These are traditional, cultural and effective ways of managing wildlife. These rights are under assault by "politically correct" ideologies which seek to put average citizens off the land and protect animal life above human life. In addition, one of the most important reasons to maintain the traditions of hunting is to pass on to the next generation the commitment to protect the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. (Or write your own message.)

Message on email subject line: Vote YES SJR11 preserve right to hunt & fish
(Emails are Legislators first name and last name) [email protected]
, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

By Phone leave a message for individual Legislators: Toll Free: 800-978-2878, 800-995-9080, 800-992-0973, Northern Nevada 775-684-6800, 775-684-6789 Southern Nevada 702-486-2626,
We are encouraging Faxes: Toll Free Fax: 866-543-9941
Share your opinion online: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/Opinions/78th2015/A/

Sponsors: Senators: Hammond, Goicoechea, Gustavson, Settelmeyer
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I commented in favor from Elko on SJR11. All that were in Elko were in favor of the bill. I had to split so we could get our kid from school.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like almost all of the pro-gun bills out there might die... hardly any have been scheduled for a hearing in the chamber they have been moved to.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, we get the dick from our rino "friends" again. Here's my shocked face
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Passing this along so we may light a fire under some deserving azz's!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GOP SEN. BROWER POISED TO KILL ANTI-RAPIST BILL
by Chuck Muth
May 6, 2015

Despite misinformation by some anti-Second Amendment activists, guns aren’t about hunting.

They’re about self-defense.

Unfortunately in Nevada, the right to self-defense has been stripped from some of our most vulnerable citizens by a law making our college and university campuses “gun-free zones” – meaning the bad guys who don’t give a damn about laws have guns, while the law-abiding are disarmed sitting ducks.

Like Amanda Collins.

If you’re not familiar with Amanda’s story, you can hear it in her own words by clicking here

In short, Amanda was brutally raped in the parking garage at UNR.  Because of Nevada’s insane law banning guns on campuses, she was completely defenseless against her attacker – who a few weeks later raped and murdered another young woman – despite legally possessing a concealed carry permit.

In the last two legislative sessions, bills to allow “campus carry” were killed in the State Assembly by Democrats who refused to even allow the bill to come up for a committee vote, let alone a floor vote.

But this year, Republicans are in the majority in both the State Senate AND the State Assembly.  And this time, the bill flew through the Assembly…passing overwhelmingly last month by a vote of 24-15.

So you’d assume the bill would pass in the Senate and be sent to Gov. Brian Sandoval for his signature, affirming Nevadans’ God-given right to self-defense.

And you’d be wrong.

But before you read the following email message that I just received, you might want to take your blood pressure medicine…

“First, by way of introduction, I am Thom Collins, father of Amanda Collins and this is not Spam.   I am sending you this email because you have in the past indicated support for Campus Carry; this year it is AB148.

“I have just learned from two sources, including (Sen.) Greg Brower himself, that he does not plan to schedule a hearing on AB148 because he does not think there is enough support in the senate.

“Therefore I am asking you to contact Your state senator and Greg Brower 775-684-1419; [email protected] and Michael Roberson 775-684-1481; [email protected], Ben Kieckhefer, 775-684-1450 (Assistant majority leader) mailto:[email protected],and  Scott Hammond (co-Majority whip)775-684-1442, [email protected]  

“Let each of them know that you are not happy and that they should support the bill and you expect a hearing and a vote.  Brower is the chair of Senate Judiciary and Roberson is the Senate Majority leader.  These two call the shots.

“Be forceful, but polite. No need to swear. Remind them that you will remember their vote when you vote.   Please contact anyone you know who supports this bill and ask them to do the same thing.  We really need to rally the troops and let our support be known. Up to now the anti’s have had the stage, now we need to be heard.”

This is beyond outrageous!

It’s bad enough that these so-called “Republicans” in the State Senate are supporting the largest tax hike in Nevada history.  But to kill a Second Amendment self-defense bill without even giving it a hearing, let alone a recorded vote?

Here’s the thing…

If what Sen. Brower is saying is true - that there aren’t enough votes in the Senate to pass the bill – then that means one or more Republicans is anti-Second Amendment because Republicans are in the majority.

Which means by refusing to hold a hearing on the bill or allow a vote on it, Sen. Brower is trying to protect one of more anti-gun Republicans from being exposed as anti-gun Republicans simply because they will have hell to pay in their next election campaign.

The people of Nevada did not elect these Republicans to hide from tough votes.

These people ran for office to make these tough decisions on behalf of the citizens of Nevada.  If they’re more worried about keeping their seats rather than representing the people who elected them, then they shouldn’t even be in office.

Sen. Brower needs to stop covering for his anti-Second Amendment GOP colleagues, hold a hearing on AB148, and then conduct a committee vote on whether or not to send the bill to the floor of the Senate.

Anything less is nothing short of pure political cowardice.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder how many of the so called pro gun Repubs lied to us. How many supported pro gun bills hoping and knowing they wouldn't make it out of committee so that they would look good to their constituents.
I starting to get sick of politician's.
I'm afraid they keep going and they are going to cause a reset to America
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]

I was just gonna post this, thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I just emailed my senator and assemblyman with my displeasure.

Your own reps are the most likely to listen to you unless they are anti's.
Mine are great and I'm hoping they will lean on the foot draggers and RINO's to get these bills heard in time.

Still worth contacting other members in their capacity as committee members.
They know you cannot vote for or against them but your contact will still be used in a formula to gauge which way the wind is blowing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Latest from NRA.

I think a sizable presence may be necessary to impress upon our legislature that we ARE paying attention and want the rest of the RKBA bills heard too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow, May 8, at 1:00 p.m., the Senate Judiciary Committee is scheduled to hear Assembly Bill 352 and Assembly Bill 404.  Thanks to phone calls and emails from members and Second Amendment supporters, the bills have been scheduled for a hearing after being stalled in committee.

Special thanks to Senate Majority Leader, Senator Michael Roberson and Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Greg Brower for scheduling these bills for a hearing.

Assembly Bill 352, introduced by Assemblyman Ellison, would allow for the carrying of a concealed firearm in a public building by a permit holder unless that building has both a metal detector and a sign at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building.  

Assembly Bill 404, introduced by Assemblywoman Fiore, would require the chief law enforcement officer of a jurisdiction to certify the transfer or making of a firearm, as required by the National Firearms Act, if the person is not prohibited from receiving or possessing a firearm by law. This legislation also permits an applicant to appeal a denial to the district court.  In addition, AB 404 provides that if an individual submits an application for renewal of a concealed carry permit before the expiration date, the permit remains valid until the sheriff grants or denies the application.  Further, AB 404 allows for new residents to carry concealed with their valid out-of-state permit until their application for a Nevada concealed carry permit is approved or denied.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe they're going to let 148 die. It Hinestly seems 50/50 with the public. Gun owner or not. At least with people I've talked to.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#14]
So I made a special trip up to Carson in support of AB 352 and AB 404.

AB 352 has been eviscerated to the point that it is now a single word, "And" instead of "Or".
It was scheduled behind about two hours of hair-splitting drivel regarding evidence and expert testimony in cases of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, oh where was I?

AB 404 has NFA aspects and I thought it might be important for at least one person with some expertise to be there, so I went.
Really annoyed that it was pulled at the last moment, I got no explanation for why.

I stopped by Browers office in person to demand that ALL of our RKBA bills get their hearings ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Is Sen. Brower stone hearted or stone headed?
No way he comes out of this looking good without allowing the hearing and vote.

RAPE SURVIVOR FIRES BACK AT BROWER (Received from Chuck Muth)

As reported here on Thursday, “Republican” State Sen. Greg Brower is single-handedly trying to kill “Amanda’s Law” - the campus carry bill that was passed by the State Assembly - by refusing to even give the bill a hearing before his Judiciary Committee, let alone a recorded vote.

In response, rape survivor Amanda Collins, for whom the bill has been named, sent the following email to Sen. Brower late Thursday afternoon…

Dear Senator Brower,

First off I am Amanda Collins, the catalyst of AB148 and I am reaching out to you, a representative I personally voted and lobbied others to vote for back in November of 2012, in hopes that you would at least allow the bill to be presented in your committee and brought to a vote.

Four years ago I decided to forgo my anonymity and blindly jump into the legislative arena to bring some much needed restoration to our constitution.

I never imagined then the process would be more draining, disheartening and more emotionally challenging than testifying before a grand-jury against my rapist, with him sitting only feet away from me. However, it has been.  To say that I have been disappointed in what I have seen from my “front row seat” is an understatement.

In both the 2011 session (when you voted in favor of campus carry measures) and 2013 session the bills pertaining to campus carry were, as you know, single-handedly killed when the chairmen (Horne and Frierson) of the Judiciary committee of the Assembly refused to bring the bill to a vote, hiding behind the blanket statement of “the bill just doesn’t have the support to get passed.”

When I learned that you were the chairman of the Judiciary committee in the Senate, I had high hopes of this year being the year that all my sweat, time away from my young family and even tears will have been all worth it.

Based on when I met you back in 2011, I thought of you as a man of integrity and character, who would truly represent his constituents.  Then my father, Thom Collins, forwarded me a message he’d received from you, “We have not yet decided whether to schedule a second hearing on this bill.  (As you know, it did already receive a full hearing in the Assembly.)  I'm not sure if it has enough support in the Senate to merit another hearing. I will let you know if anything changes.”

I was shocked to be reading the very same patronizing line of BS I had received two sessions prior from men who I knew lacked integrity and were taking their orders from leadership. Only this time I was getting it from a man whom I actually voted to represent me.

Not only did I personally vote for you, I lobbied for other people to vote for you because I mistakenly took you for a legislator who stands up for our Second Amendment rights based on your NRA grade and past interactions.  This is nothing short of a strong slap in my face.

Back in 2013 during his state of the Union address President Obama said that “all victims of gun violence deserve a vote.”

As a surviving victim of gun violence and sexual assault I am pleading with you, if the bill truly doesn’t have the votes to pass, prove it to me and let me see the vote.  Otherwise give me the courtesy of being upfront and honest as to why you are effectively killing this bill, single handedly, and allowing the victimization of men and women on our University campuses to be perpetuated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Amanda Collins

How shameful if Amanda’s Law gets killed this session, unilaterally without a recorded vote, by a Republican who voted for it two sessions ago.

Sen. Brower should stop trying to hide and protect soft-on-gun-rights colleagues and not only allow a vote on Amanda’s Law, but actively, forcefully and enthusiastically advocate for its passage.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#16]
This is the litmus test for this new Legislature here in Nevada.

After seeing the Douchebaggery they have displayed this session, I am sorry that I voted for the Rinos (again).

Including Sandoval.

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is the litmus test for this new Legislature here in Nevada.

After seeing the Douchebaggery they have displayed this session, I am sorry that I voted for the Rinos (again).

Including Sandoval.

View Quote

Agree 100%. If we don't see a major change in course by the end of the session, it is a mistake I will never be repeating.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:23:37 AM EDT
[#18]

They do make it easy; email sent.  Thank you all for supporting our rights.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Sent the email and only mentioned AB148. This should at least get a hearing with all the attention it is getting. They're just scared they will have a campus rampage if it actually goes to Brian's desk.  No way he would veto this.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sent the email and only mentioned AB148. This should at least get a hearing with all the attention it is getting. They're just scared they will have a campus rampage if it actually goes to Brian's desk.  No way he would veto this.
View Quote

Actually, I might suspect that shielding Sandoval from being further exposed as a RINO may be the motivation for not letting AB148 have a hearing and vote.
If it passes his response will not go unnoticed.
Sign and the anti's will hate him, veto and WE will hate him.
So much simpler to just chicken out and let the bill die.

Pretty much the same for a lot of other reps who may have ambitions for other offices and do not want their vote on AB148 to come up later.
Bunch of conniving cowards!
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:10:06 AM EDT
[#21]
MORE GARBAGE!

Not gun control, just a political power grab that would complete the transformation of Nevada into E. East Kalifornicate'ya!

If anything we should be SHORTENING The sessions, not making them longer.
The more time they have to screw us the more they will.
Yearly session would provide time for twice the number of screw-overs the legislature gives us, longer session too.

Need to fight this tooth and nail.
----------------------------------------------------------------
SJR8* Annual Legislative Sessions
This passed the Legislature in 2013 and if it passes this time it will go on the ballot.

HEARING: Mon. May 11, Tues. 3:30,Senate Elections Committee, Room 2144
Videoconferenced to Room 4412E of the Grant Sawyer State Office Building, 555 E. Washington Ave., Las Vegas, NV.

We are against annual sessions of the legislature. We do not want the calendar days of the legislature expanded by 45 days. We feel these proposals will undermine our citizen legislature. We don't need more laws. (The fiscal note identifies the cost to be $9,451,995 including $7,167,406 for session costs.) (You may want to write your own message.) (More information below.

Message on email subject line: Vote NO on SJR8* Annual Sessions.
CONTACT: Senate Elections Committee: (Emails are Legislators first name and last name) [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],
[email protected]

By Phone leave a message for individual Legislators: Toll Free: 800-978-2878, 800-995-9080, 800-992-0973, Northern Nevada 775-684-6800, 775-684-6789 Southern Nevada 702-486-2626,
We are encouraging Faxes: Toll Free Fax: 866-543-9941
Share your opinion online: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/Opinions/78th2015/A/

SJR8: This bill proposes to amend the Nevada Constitution. This provides for 30 days plus 15 additional calendar days in the Legislative session adding 45 days to the current 120 calendar day limit. In addition, they will meet every year instead of every other year. The bill splits the current constitutionally limited 120 consecutive calendar day legislative session every odd numbered year into one 90 day session and one 30 day session in even numbered years. However, it provides that the 90 days are "legislative days" (defined as when either house meets or when committees meet) instead of consecutive calendar days as they are now. This extends the calendar days of the Legislative Session by 30 days bringing it to a total in odd numbered years of 120 calendar days. It provides that in the even numbered years (in which they don't now meet) the Legislature would meet for 30 "legislative days" or 45 calendar days adding possibly 15 additional calendar days for the session for a total of 45 additional days.
This additional time will undermine our citizen legislature by creating a hardship on Legislators who are average citizens and must leave their current employment or businesses to serve as legislators. It will also lay the foundation for future expansion of the Legislative Sessions.

Copy of Bill: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/78th2015/Reports/history.cfm?ID=207     Scroll down to Text as Introduced.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Faculty Senate Chair at TMCC says that Senator Brower has changed his position on AB148 and may actually vote against it in the Senate.  I don't know where he gets his information of if that's just the latest propaganda for the Left on campus.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Richard are you sure you got the Right bill number because Sjr8 is the minimum wage bill.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#24]
SJR8*

The asterisk is important as it denotes that this is a bill carried over from the prior (2013) session.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Faculty Senate Chair at TMCC says that Senator Brower has changed his position on AB148 and may actually vote against it in the Senate.  I don't know where he gets his information of if that's just the latest propaganda for the Left on campus.
View Quote

How did Washoe County elect this guy? I thought higher of them...
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Senator Brower was appointed to fill a vacancy in Washoe County Senatorial District No. 3 in January 2011 and was first elected to the Senate in 2012".
So he's an appointee who was able to use his incumbent advantage to remain in office.
This shows why primary races can be so important.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like the rest of Nevada, we thought we were electing a Republican and not another RINO. If this legislative session hasn't revealed that this state is lost politically, I'm sure the 2016 election will seal the deal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#28]
NVFAC Alert.

URGE SENATE EDUCATION TO SUPPORT AB121

Assembly Bill 121 was proposed by Assemblyman Jim Wheeler to protect students from punishment when simulating a firearms or weapon during play or wearing clothing or accessories that depict a firearm or weapon or express certain opinions except in certain circumstances.

Bill Status as of May 7th

These bills have met the first two deadlines (first committee and first house passage). Most are awaiting (and some have been scheduled for) their hearing in the second house. Click here to read our position papers on these bills.

Your donations help us to continue to fund our lobbying effort, including these email alerts. Please consider joining the Nevada Firearms Coalition or donating to our Political Action Committee.

AB 100 - Sponsored by: Assemblyman Ellison - Strong Support

This bill would give authority to the Nevada Attorney General to defend our 2nd Amendment Rights.

Passed the Assembly 27 to 14, April 15, 2015

AB 121 - Sponsored by: Assemblyman Wheeler - Support

This bill would revise the zero tolerance policy in regards to students simulating a firearm in play or the use of firearms in logos, on clothing or awards.

Passed the Assembly 24 to 17, April 15, 2015

AB 136 - Sponsored by: Assemblyman Ellison - Support

This bill will allow you to carry a firearm while bowhunting for personal protection.

Passed Assembly 41 to 0, April 3, 2014

AB 139 - Sponsored by: Assemblyman Wheeler - Strong Support

This bill will expand CCW reciprocity.

Passed the Assembly 27 to 14, April 15, 2015

AB 148 - Sponsored by: Assemblywoman Fiore - Strong Support

This bill will institute Campus Carry in Nevada.

Passed the Assembly 24 to 15, April 6, 2015

AB 167 - Sponsored by: Assemblywoman Fiore - Support

This bill will protect the rights of foster parents to have a concealed firearm.

Passed the Assembly 26 to 15, March 23, 2015

AB 316 - Sponsored by: Assemblywoman Dickman - Strong Support

This bill will remove the burden of collecting sales tax on out-of-state transfers from gun stores.

Exempt from deadlines due to fiscal impact (the amended bill should resolve the fiscal impact)

AB 352 - Sponsored by: Assemblyman Ellison - Strong Support

Amended bill will allow for concealed carrying in public buildings unless there is a metal detector.

Passed the Assembly 26 to 14, April 16, 2015

AB 357 - Sponsored by: Assemblywoman Fiore - Support

This bill will restore the rights of those convicted of nonviolent crimes and pose no threat once their penalties have been served.

Passed the Assembly 41 to 1, April 21, 2015

AB 404 - Sponsored by: Assemblywoman Fiore - Strong Support

This bill ensures that concealed firearms permits are processed promptly and protects concealed firearms permittees from arrest and firearms seizures if their permit expires while their completed renewal permit is being processed, or if its processing has been delayed.

Passed the Assembly 35 to 7, April 21, 2015

SB 175 - Sponsored by: Senator Roberson - Strong Support

This bill will make various reforms to Nevada firearms laws, including clarification of the Castle Doctrine, CCW reciprocity, preemption and elimination of Clark County handgun registration (blue cards).

Passed the Senate 14 to 5, March 23, 2015

SB229 - Sponsored by: Senator Gustavson - Strong Support

This bill will authorize the creation of a 2nd Amendment license plate in Nevada.

Passed the Senate 15 to 5, April 15, 2015

SB 240 - Sponsored by: Senator Roberson - Support

This bill was submitted in 2013 to provide immunity for private-party background checks and makes changes to improve reporting of mental health adjudications.

Passed the Senate 20 to 0, April 2, 2015

Bills that have died as of April 21st

AB2 - Sponsored by: Assemblyman Hambrick - Strong Support (Combined with AB148)

AB 127 - Sponsored by: Assemblyman Hambrick - Strong Support (Combined with SB175)

AB 171 - Sponsored by: Assemblywoman Shelton - Strong Support (Combined with SB175)

SB 143 - Sponsored by: Senator Gustavson - Strong Support pending amendment

SB 171 - Sponsored by: Senator Settelmeyer - Strong Support (Combined with SB175)

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Call and Email Brower today, specifically about AB148!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiogXJERWpA&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#30]
NVFAC alert link.

http://engage.nvfac.org/app/write-a-letter?1&engagementId=101033&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxpkUSanZLip5PRNLriArGJ83lRel74BqTqwJbWmg3RXqyJSEEnsN6v30tacLKqM5NvKjQ08NXyfftC4uizWjIm6rikguJZCYI5BpfByii6Ls&lp=0
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 3:48:11 AM EDT
[#31]
http://m.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada-legislature/nevada-campus-carry-proposal-brought-back-life

So, this is why SB175 was delayed...
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:09:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://m.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada-legislature/nevada-campus-carry-proposal-brought-back-life

So, this is why SB175 was delayed...
View Quote

From the linked article.

"Roberson’s bill would............. and prevent people convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence from possessing firearms.
It further would prohibit anyone under an extended protection order from acquiring weapons during the time the order is in effect"

I hope everyone else here also understands that the text/bill feature above is redundant and unnecessary as it's already FEDERAL law.
Just read a form 4473 to confirm this.
It's irked me from the start that Roberson is being lauded for mirroring Fed law as if HE had come up with something fresh and necessary.
That the Fed law is also unconstitutional due to being "Ex-Post-Facto" seems to be overlooked by virtually everyone.
I have to wonder if it's true about the Roberson bill requiring an actual conviction, seems to me all that was required up to now has been an accusation.
Or is that another flawed bill?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Campus Carry editorial from Chuck Muth.
--------------------------------------------------
Amanda’s Law: Shootout at the Not-OK Corral
Chuck Muth
May 14, 2015

The GOP’s historic takeover of the Nevada Legislature should have meant, at the very least, a budget without tax hikes and passage of gun rights bills that have been bottled up by anti-gun Democrats for years.

Instead, Senate Republicans have been pushing for the largest tax increase in Nevada’s history – including a new gross receipts tax that’s even worse than the one some 80 percent of Nevadans rejected at the ballot box last November.

And living up to the GOP’s well-deserved reputation for never blowing an opportunity to blow an opportunity, Senate Republicans are now blocking the most important, hard fought gun rights bill instead of greasing it through with flying colors.

“Amanda’s Law” would allow adults with a concealed carry permit to carry their weapons on campus for self-protection rather than risk becoming a disarmed victim, the way Amanda Collins was in 2007 when she was brutally raped on the parking garage floor at UNR.

Collins came forward in 2011 and painfully recounted her nightmarish experience to the Legislature in an effort to pass campus carry.  Amanda’s Law was approved with bipartisan support in the Senate.  However, it was then killed by Assembly Democrats who refused to even give the bill a hearing, let alone an up-or-down vote.

Ditto 2013 when the bill was reintroduced.  Again, Assembly Democrats killed the bill without giving it a vote.

But this year, with Republicans in charge, Amanda’s Law (AB148) passed easily in the Assembly, 25-15, with every Republican voting “yea.”

It then moved over to the Senate, where nine senators from both parties who voted for Amanda’s Law in 2011 are still serving.

So Republicans should only need two new votes to pass Amanda’s Law and send it to the governor’s desk for signature.  And there are now five new GOP senators who weren’t there in 2011.  So this should be a no-brainer.

Alas, “brainless” appears to be the GOP’s middle name.

Amanda’s Law is now suffering the same fate at the hands of Senate Republicans as it did at the hands of Assembly Democrats.  Senate Judiciary Chairman Greg Brower – who voted for Amanda’s law in 2011 – has refused to give the bill even a hearing, claiming it doesn’t have the votes to pass.

If that’s true, it’s outrageous considering the GOP majority.  But the truth is, we really don’t know if it’s true or not.  One can never be 100% sure how someone will vote until they, you know, actually vote.

If those five new GOP senators – Becky Harris, Patricia Farley, Scott Hammond, Mark Lipparelli and Pete Goicoechea – are all anti-gun and oppose Amanda’s Law, fine.

But their opposition should be put on the public record, so Amanda Collins and all Nevada voters can see EXACTLY who shot down campus carry in 2015.

(Mr. Muth is president of Citizen Outreach and the publisher of www.NevadaNewsandViews.com.  He personally blogs at www.MuthsTruths.com)
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#34]
The GOP is their own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#35]
NRA's alert today.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150514/nevada-gun-bills-in-danger-your-urgent-action-needed

NRA ILA
APPEARS IN Legal & Legislation
Nevada: Gun Bills in Danger, Your Urgent Action Needed!

Thursday, May 14, 2015
More

Tomorrow, May 15, is the legislative deadline for bills to pass out of the second house.  Critical legislation, including campus carry bill, Assembly Bill 148, could be left on the table with gun owners getting the short end of the stick.  Unfortunately, important bills may stall in committee due to a conflict between legislators.  It is critical that Senate Judiciary Chair Greg Brower hears from you.  Please call and email Chairman Brower and strongly urge him to schedule hearings and work sessions for Assembly Bills 148, 139, 357 and 404.  

Senator Greg Brower (R-15)
775-684-1419
[email protected]

AB 148, introduced by Assemblywoman Michele Fiore (R-4), seeks to expand areas where concealed carry permit holders can lawfully carry to include university campuses, public buildings that are not equipped with a metal detector and a sign prohibiting carrying of concealed firearms, and parking lots for K-12 schools. This legislation will respect the rights of citizens to not be rendered defenseless by crossing arbitrary lines. This would help to resolve a longstanding problem in Nevada where firearms are prohibited in vehicles in school parking lots, meaning that a parent cannot drop off their child at school without being in violation of the law if they are carrying concealed.  AB 148 passed the Assembly with a 24-15 vote.

In addition to AB 148, AB 139, AB 357 and AB 404 are also waiting to be scheduled for a hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee.  AB 139, introduced by Assemblyman Jim Wheeler (R-39), makes changes to the existing concealed weapons laws to authorize a non-resident who possesses a valid permit issued by another state to carry a concealed firearm in Nevada.  AB 139 passed the Assembly with a 24-17 vote.

AB 357, introduced by Assemblywoman Fiore, would authorize certain individuals who are prohibited from possessing firearms to petition the district court for the restoration of the right to own, possess, and control a firearm.  AB 357 passed the Assembly with a 41-1 vote.

AB 404 was scheduled for a hearing last week but was pulled from the agenda at the last minute with no explanation.  AB 404, also introduced by Assemblywoman Fiore, would require the chief law enforcement officer of a jurisdiction to certify the transfer or making of a firearm, as required by the National Firearms Act, if the person is not prohibited from receiving or possessing a firearm by law. This legislation also permits an applicant to appeal a denial to the district court.  In addition, AB 404 provides that if an individual submits an application for renewal of a concealed carry permit before the expiration date, the permit remains valid until the sheriff grants or denies the application.  Further, AB 404 allows for new residents to carry concealed with their valid out-of-state permit until their application for a Nevada concealed carry permit is approved or denied.  AB 404 passed the Assembly with a 35-7 vote.

Other gun-related bills have recently been scheduled for hearings.

Tomorrow, Senate Bill 175, an omnibus gun bill, is scheduled for a work session in the Assembly Judiciary Committee.  Introduced by Senator Roberson, SB 175 would improve concealed carry recognition and revises self-defense laws.  Most importantly, this legislation would greatly improve Nevada’s preemption law and abolish handgun registration in Clark County.  SB 175 was passed by the Senate with a 14-5 vote.  

Assembly Bill 100, introduced by Assemblyman John Ellison (R-33), aims to protect the constitutional rights of Nevadans by requiring legal action by the Attorney General if, at the direction of the Governor or in the opinion of the Attorney General, Nevadans' Second Amendment rights have been infringed through executive order.  AB 100 passed the Nevada Assembly with a 27-14 vote and was heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee today.

Assembly Bill 352, also introduced by Assemblyman Ellison, would allow for the carrying of a concealed firearm in a public building by a permit holder unless that building has both a metal detector and a sign at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building.  AB 352 passed the Assembly with a 26-14 vote and was considered by the Senate Judiciary Committee last week, but this bill still needs to be scheduled for a work session.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#36]
NVFAC is also beating the drums as tomorrow (Fri.) is the deadline for bills to be heard in the second house.

It would really suck if a fraction of the republicans act like D's and kill these overdue bills.
This should have been a cake-walk for us but R's play defense even when they are ahead of the game, and D's play to win by any and all means possible.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#37]
http://engage.nvfac.org/app/write-a-letter?1&engagementId=101476&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxSPqjS1Kkk4I2dB0jK5bmvyZVSTcKAnG9fCZ7-adKdBaWzbaMovId1suvUoafhqpocrn9V1rTFodSsIqpbrb1sx4V_1zLluYn-30ekwODHHA&lp=0

Email even if you already did... do it again. Now is the time to increase the pressure.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:15:32 AM EDT
[#38]
So, what I'm hearing now is that Senator Brower is holding up our RKBA bills to pressure the Assembly to pass the Sandoval 1.1 BILLION dollar margin tax/modified business tax without amendments.

Brower should have his senate career cut short, it needs to end at the next election.
This is the kind of crap I would expect from the Dim's, he's supposed to be have more integrity than this!
My rights are not negotiable, they are not tokens to be bet in some political power play.

And just to be clear, screw Sandoval's job/profit killing margins tax.
MUCH better budget plans have been suggested but the RINO/Dem. cabal does not want to hear about them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:47:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So, what I'm hearing now is that Senator Brower is holding up our RKBA bills to pressure the Assembly to pass the Sandoval 1.1 BILLION dollar margin tax/modified business tax without amendments.

Brower should have his senate career cut short, it needs to end at the next election.
This is the kind of crap I would expect from the Dim's, he's supposed to be have more integrity than this!
My rights are not negotiable, they are not tokens to be bet in some political power play.

And just to be clear, screw Sandoval's job/profit killing margins tax.
MUCH better budget plans have been suggested but the RINO/Dem. cabal does not want to heart about them.
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:00:01 AM EDT
[#40]
One more rumor from a pretty knowledgeable source, for your displeasure.

This one states that there are three RINO's in the senate who are actually anti's despite having run for election as RKBA supporters.
I do not have names. (Yet?)
They do not want Campus Carry and similar bills to come to a vote so that they can continue pretending to to be 2A supporters.
If the bills do come to a vote they may be unmasked.

Sadly, not implausible (But not yet proven either).

Combined with senator Browers attempted blackmail for the SB252 Sandoval Margin Tax it will take a MASSIVE number of contacts to get our bills heard in time.

If you are in Carson for any reason a PERSONAL visit to his office makes the greatest impression
, imperative that you remain civil even though he does not deserve such consideration, but the little old lady that is his secretary probably does.
I suggest CC'ing YOUR senator on all emails urging hearings.
Phone calls have a personal touch and demonstrate you willingness to commit more than mere seconds of your time.
Plus, if his and the legislatures lines get tied up we become HARD to ignore.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:21:24 AM EDT
[#41]
This link allows anyone to check the legislatures schedule.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELIS/REL/78th2015

I see the assembly judiciary committee taking up SEVERAL senate bills, but NOTHING in the senate judiciary!
The chair can call up any bill he likes, so we have to make him "Like" the bills we want saved from death by deadline.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:49:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Found some good news, from Fox 5 LV.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/29065729/panel-approves-free-gun-background-check-bill-with-changes

SB240 amended and passed assembly judiciary on Thursday.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Found some good news, from Fox 5 LV.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/29065729/panel-approves-free-gun-background-check-bill-with-changes

SB240 amended and passed assembly judiciary on Thursday.
View Quote

Now all they have to do is mandate Metro to 120 days to purge the registration records, not the five years Metro wants.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Latest alert from Chuck Muth offers insight for the politics of our RKBA Bills.
-------------------------------
BROWER SINGLE-HANDEDLY TRYING TO KILL CAMPUS CARRY

(Chuck Muth, president, Citizen Outreach) - AB148 is “Amanda’s Law” – a bill sponsored by conservative Assemblywoman Michele Fiore that would extend our God-given Second Amendment right of self-defense to Nevada’s college and university campuses.

SB175 is an omnibus gun bill sponsored by Sen. Michael Roberson that, as the National Rifle Association explains, “would improve concealed carry recognition and revises self-defense laws.  Most importantly, this legislation would greatly improve Nevada’s preemption law and abolish handgun registration in Clark County.”

Both bills are damned good gun bills and *should* easily pass in both GOP-controlled houses of the Legislature.

Indeed, SB175 has already passed in the Senate and AB148 has already passed in the Assembly.

Assemblyman Ira Hansen is Chairman of the Assembly Judiciary Committee.  He also has a 100% rating by the National Rifle Association.  He is a gun rights champion who has given a hearing in his committee to every gun-related bill sent over from the Senate, including SB175.

However, Senate Judiciary Chairman Greg Brower is refusing to give AB148 even a hearing in his committee, let alone a committee vote before the deadline of midnight tonight (Friday).

He’s also bottling up a number of other gun bills already passed by the Assembly.

In response, Hansen has been holding up a committee vote on SB175 – which led to a very unfortunate email alert from a gun group this week urging its supporters to contact Hansen and pressure him to release SB175 even though Hansen has no intention whatsoever of killing SB175.

More on the strategy to pass BOTH bills in a minute.  But make no mistake…

Hansen is the good guy in this drama.

Brower is the bad guy.

You see, Brower is claiming there aren’t enough votes to pass AB148 in his committee and/or on the Senate floor and, therefore, says he’s not going to spend any time hearing the bill or allowing an actual vote to get everyone on record.

But either Brower is lying through his teeth or somebody has done a major flip-flop on this issue.  Here’s why…

Amanda’s Law was proposed for the first time in 2011.  It passed in the Senate with bipartisan support.

And there are nine senators who voted for Amanda’s Law in 2011 who are still in the Senate today.  So unless any of them have flip-flopped on the issue, the Senate starts with nine votes for Amanda’s Law this session – not counting five new Republicans.

Two of those five new GOP senators – Scott Hammond and Pete Goicoechea – co-sponsored Amanda’s Law while serving in the Assembly in 2011.  So unless one or both of them have flip-flopped, that’s 11 of the 11 votes needed to pass Amanda’s Law on the floor of the Senate…not counting the other three freshman Republican senators.

Brower’s other claim is that there aren’t enough votes to pass Amanda’s Law out of his 7-member Judiciary Committee to make it to the floor.  But that’s not true either – unless, again, someone has flip-flopped.

There are four Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee.  Brower and Roberson both voted for Amanda’s Law in 2011.  And Hammond co-sponsored Amanda’s Law as an assemblyman in 2011.

That’s three.

The other Republican is freshman Sen. Becky Harris, who up to this point has voted in lockstep however Roberson has told her to vote.  Why should anyone believe she’d defy him on this one?

In addition, Harris’ campaign website from 2012 reads: “SECOND AMENDMENT: Becky Harris believes in ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms.’”

It doesn’t say, “except on college and university campuses.”

But lastly, and most importantly, I’m told that Harris has told at least two

separate legislative insiders in Carson City that she supports AB148!

So again, either Brower’s lying or somebody has flip-flopped.

And if somebody has flip-flopped, Nevadans, especially Nevada’s gun rights supporters, deserve to know who it is.

But even if Brower’s correct, that Amanda’s Law doesn’t have the votes, there’s absolutely no reason whatsoever for legislators elected to legislate not to vote on the issue and get everyone on record.

Any horse as lame as Brower’s claims would get a bullet in the head.

But back to Ira Hansen’s strategy to get both bills passed…

If Brower continues to block a simple up-or-down vote on Amanda’s Law by the deadline tonight, Hansen will amend SB175 and add the language for Amanda’s Law into it.

Since both bills are gun-related bills, the move will easily comply with the Legislature’s extremely liberal interpretation of the “single subject” rule.

The Assembly will then vote in favor of the SB175/AB148 combo bill and send it back to the Senate.

At that point, the Senate will have to vote to accept Roberson’s SB175 bill as amended with the campus carry language added – or reject it.

If they reject it, the bill will be returned to the Assembly with the campus carry amendment removed.

At that point the Assembly will vote to either accept SB175 without the campus carry amendment or reject it.

If they reject it, a “conference committee” of assemblymen and senators will be appointed to hammer out a compromise.

If it gets to that point, gun rights legislation this session could well become an all or nothing proposition – a situation that NEVER should occur with Republicans who claim to be Second Amendment supporters in the majority in both houses.

But if it does, it will be Brower’s fault, all Brower’s fault and solely Brower’s fault.

Because all of this can be avoided by Brower if Brower will simply allow a simple up-or-down vote on Amanda’s Law in his committee today.

By doing that, we’d then get a “clean” vote on AB148 in the Senate and a “clean” vote on SB175 in the Assembly.

But without that committee vote on campus carry today, Hansen will be left with NO CHOICE but to add campus carry to Roberson’s SB175.

Hansen’s not the problem.  Hansen’s the solution if Brower continues to be the problem.

There is no aspect of the gun rights issue more important than the principle of a God-given right to self-defense.  That right shouldn’t be stripped from citizens simply because they walk onto a college campus.

Amanda’s Law is and should be the proverbial “hill to die for” for gun rights supporters this session.  All of the other gun rights bills and issues, including those in SB175, pale by comparison in importance.

If the Nevada Legislature, under GOP control, is going to reject the right to self-defense on college campuses, at the very least it owes the people a recorded, public vote so everyone knows who sold us out and sided with the criminals, murderers and rapists…and who sided with the law-abiding citizens of Nevada.

Please contact Sen. Brower IMMEDIATELY and urge him to give Amanda’s Law, AB148, a committee vote TODAY…

Senator Greg Brower
775-684-1419
[email protected]
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Browers phone is now going strait to voice-mail, KEEP IT UP!

You can leave a message, or press 0 to leave an opinion with the legislative message board.

Mine stated that if it's true he is holding our RKBA bills hostage for SB252 it is unethical and WILL be remembered at the next election.
I stated that if the RKBA bills are killed we will not be any worse off, but that if SB252 is passed as currently written we WILL be much worse off so the leverage he might think he has does not exist.
Make no mistake, I DO want the RKBA bills passed, I just am not willing to buy them at the expense of a tax & spend plan that will ruin Nevada.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Want more details!
Cannot post the entire article so here's a link.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/29079259/assembly-panel-oks-bill-allowing-concealed-guns-on-colleges
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:55:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Happy about SB175.

When the Assembly passes it, it will not go to Brower to hold it up. I think Roberson is the only one who can ignore it... in which case, we can hold him accountable next election... recall Brower...  and maybe we will expose some other RINO's. And/or we get SB175 passed...

I really hate the divide in the GOP. Half of our party are wolves in sheeps clothing. It weakens us considerably.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Brower needs to be primaried by a conservative republican.
WE need to remember his screwing us over like this.
Bad politicians count on the public having a short memory.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#49]
If he gets recalled it will not be a short memory and send a strong message to the rest of the politicians that we are tied of this shit.

I have always said a politician that believes in the Second Amendment believes in the rest of the Constitution as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Brower needs to be doused in Rooster sperm.

Chicken people will understand.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top