Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 1/9/2015 7:32:50 PM EDT
Picked up a hard copy the 2015 BDR* list today.
About 900 so far, expect around 1500 by the time the session starts!

There are already a few good ones and no doubt some bad as well.
Look at AB2.

We DO NOT want to wait until the last minute to find out what we need to support or kill.
The BDR's can be read on-line at the NELIS site.
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/78th2015/BDRList/

We need to begin going through the list so that we are ready to respond at the FIRST hearing of each bill.
Few of us ONLY care about our RKBA, so you might find some other issues of importance to you as well.

*BDR = Bill Draft Request, the first step in creating a bill to become law.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
"19-20

Senator Manendo
Provides for recognition of Cinco de Mayo Day in Nevada."

Wow, guess it says something when this is a legislative priority...
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
You missed the ones for official state beverage and dance!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:19:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Some updated BDR info.

BDR 15-75/AB2, Assy. - Hambrick
Revises provisions governing possession of weapons. (I've been told this is a good one,)

BDR 18-50, Assy. - Ellison
Revises provisions governing firearms.

BDR 20-74, Assy. - Hambrick
Provides for the uniform regulation of firearms in Nevada. (Buh Bye Blue Card?)

BDR 15-221, Sen. - Gustavson
Revises provisions governing firearms. (Don is one of the BEST, so this will be a good one)

BDR 18-50, Assy. - Fiore
Revises provisions governing concealed firearms. (Looking for details!)

BDR 15-522, Assy. - Wheeler
Revises provisions governing the issuance of permits to carry concealed firearms. (Jim is another of the good guys, want details ASAP)

BDR 54-713, Sen. - Gustavson
Provides for the issuance of special license plates indicating support for second amendment rights. (Cool, but will they lead to harassment by bad cops and vandalism by anti's?)

BDR 15-918, Assy. - Dickman
Revises provisions governing firearms. (Jill is a fresh face, I've worked with her husband on the R state platform, I'm sure she is supporting us)

A few of the many misc, CRAP bills!

Sinator Segerblom, what an ass, it seems that half of the most feculent bills have his name on them!
C-425, $15.00 an hour minimum wage! (Hello unemployment, hello automation taking the starter level jobs!)

Sinator Segerblom,
46-438, "Restrict" (Outlaw) Fracking, give control to the NV version of EPA! (Yah, I want to go back to paying $5.00+ per gallon for gas ASAP!)

Segerblom is not alone in being an ass, ASSy. Munford is taking his turn too.
54-711, Establishes provisions for toll roads. ( We have had discussion about these not long ago, another version of red light camera type ticket in the mail BS!)

Keep in mind that this is only a sample of about HALF of the bills that will be introduced!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some updated BDR info.

BDR 15-75/AB2, Assy. - Hambrick
Revises provisions governing possession of weapons. (I've been told this is a good one,)

BDR 18-50, Assy. - Ellison
Revises provisions governing firearms.

BDR 20-74, Assy. - Hambrick
Provides for the uniform regulation of firearms in Nevada. (Buh Bye Blue Card?)

BDR 15-221, Sen. - Gustavson
Revises provisions governing firearms. (Don is one of the BEST, so this will be a good one)

BDR 18-50, Assy. - Fiore
Revises provisions governing concealed firearms. (Looking for details!)

BDR 15-522, Assy. - Wheeler
Revises provisions governing the issuance of permits to carry concealed firearms. (Jim is another of the good guys, want details ASAP)

BDR 54-713, Sen. - Gustavson
Provides for the issuance of special license plates indicating support for second amendment rights. (Cool, but will they lead to harassment by bad cops and vandalism by anti's?)

BDR 15-918, Assy. - Dickman
Revises provisions governing firearms. (Jill is a fresh face, I've worked with her husband on the R state platform, I'm sure she is supporting us)

A few of the many misc, CRAP bills!

Sinator Segerblom, what an ass, it seems that half of the most feculent bills have his name on them!
C-425, $15.00 an hour minimum wage! (Hello unemployment, hello automation taking the starter level jobs!)

Sinator Segerblom,
46-438, "Restrict" (Outlaw) Fracking, give control to the NV version of EPA! (Yah, I want to go back to paying $5.00+ per gallon for gas ASAP!)

Segerblom is not alone in being an ass, ASSy. Munford is taking his turn too.
54-711, Establishes provisions for toll roads. ( We have had discussion about these not long ago, another version of red light camera type ticket in the mail BS!)

Keep in mind that this is only a sample of about HALF of the bills that will be introduced!
View Quote

Here's to hoping all the good stuff gets passed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Richard!

I'm excited to see some positive changes for NV!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the latest update today,
Only a few new BDR's, but many more have been assigned actual bill numbers.

A few details are coming out too.

AB2. Authorizes possession of a weapon in a vehicle that is on the property of certain educational entities or child care facilities in certain circumstances.
(BDR 15-75)
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]
And then today I found this!

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/16/wynn-resorts-co-founder-joins-push-to-outlaw-private-gun-sales-in-nevada/

I need a list of Wynn properties so that I can make sure I never spend a dime there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/16/wynn-resorts-co-founder-joins-push-to-outlaw-private-gun-sales-in-nevada/

I need a list of Wynn properties so that I can make sure I never spend a dime there.
View Quote

The title of that article is FUD.  She wants background checks on gun sales.  Way to spread the fear saying she wants to outlaw private gun sales Mr. Journalist article write.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually, his mistake is true, an unintended revelation of fact.

The whole "Private sale/Gunshow loophole" meme is cover for the next step, and the next after that.
REMEMBER, the NFA-34, GCA-68, 922.(o) amendment to FOPA 86, '94 AW Ban, etc. were ALL claimed to be the "Sensible Gun control" and "All we need"  at the time they were passed.
Until the next round.
Total firearm prohibition is the true goal, all else is just incrementalism.

Quoted:

The title of that article is FUD.  She wants background checks on gun sales.  Way to spread the fear saying she wants to outlaw private gun sales Mr. Journalist article write.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#11]
How a bill becomes law in Nevada.
A tutorial for those who may not be familiar with the Nevada legislative process.
Filmed at my local R central committee meeting last month.

http://youtu.be/GHPe8P0r4lI

This is the official course of legislation, a few of the more unsavory possibilities like "Zombie" bills are not mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#12]
THANK YOU! Richard for posting this.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#13]
http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/01/26/legislature-affect-guns/22249171/
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:50:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lawmakers will also consider an initiative petition that would close the background check loophole on private party gun sales

No bias on display there!
Every criminal complaint is "Alleged" to commitment of a crime, no matter how many witness of video.
But the word falls out media vocabulary when it comes to the ALLEGED "Gun show loophole"!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want to fight this then you need to get ready to recall some people, like governor sandoval.

Some democrats thrown in for good measure as well as John Hambrick, and some other less than republican republicans.

Want to keep you rights?

Time to stand up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Every criminal complaint is "Alleged" to commitment of a crime, no matter how many witness of video.
But the word falls out media vocabulary when it comes to the ALLEGED "Gun show loophole"!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lawmakers will also consider an initiative petition that would close the background check loophole on private party gun sales

With the petition, they are being forced to.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#17]
As near as I can figure it out, the best course is for them to entirely ignore the "Petition".

The "Petition" (Bloom-turd hijacking) is broad overreach and attempts to regulate enough aspects of gun ownership that we should be able to stop it.
If the legislature "Fixes" it we will have a harder time killing it.
I also understand that if the legislature puts up an amended version, BOTH versions go to a vote.
That would split the effectiveness of our effort to block the "Petition".

I've also read that the legislature CANNOT amend the original, but can put out their own version, or pass similar legislation this session.
But no matter what the legislature does the original goes to a vote in '15.

I will try to get this clarified from a knowledgeable source.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#18]
If they do nothing, it goes to the people. Look at how WA ended up and we will go down the same path. Guaranteed!

I am not sure which way is the best way, as the threat is great.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#19]
One of the guys over at nevadashooters.com put this together. Thought it was pretty good.

http://www.nvopencarryinfocard.com/#!background-checks/c1kf7

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Pretty good, and I understand the need for brevity.
But it's incomplete.

Hopefully to be followed by more detail illustrating the absurdities of the "Initiative".
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#21]
The background check initiative (IP2) is up for your enjoyment.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/78th2015/reports/history.cfm?ID=267

May as well sound off on the Submit an Opinion page. It'll be our last place to vent.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I attended the first hearing on AB-2 this morning.
It's a very brief and simple bill to allow firearms to be left in a vehicle when on school property.
Either on your person or in a locked container.

The Assembly Judiciary hearing was standing room only in Carson City, nearly empty in LV.
Lots of speakers in support at CC, ONE in LV.
Only a few against at either location, and nearly all of them are some sort of "Teachers Association" even if they only have a few members.

Weasel Face Jones showed up in LV to oppose the bill!
By his answers to questions he was asked it's clear that no amendment would satisfy him as he's really just a rabid anti.

Opponents made statements such as "We fear this is a gateway to campus carry".
"Gun violence that continues to explode in America"
"Nevada gun laws do not provide adequate back ground checks to address citizens who not be in possession of guns".
They are desperate and grabbing at any straw they can to support their BS, even if it's an outright lie in direct contradiction to FBI crime data.

Anti's also tried to make a big issue of the claimed risk that firearms in cars on school grounds would be targeted for theft and possible/likely used "To commit a tragedy".
20,000 cars on university grounds in 2013, 14 reported break-ins.
No figure given for vehicle break-ins NEAR university grounds, but it is claimed that university grounds are MORE secure than the surrounding area.
So the anti's want us to only park off-campus where our vehicles are more likely to be broken into and firearms stolen.

There is an amendment in the works, which was discussed a lot, despite it apparently not having been written yet!
From what I saw there is a push to "Compromise" and also ruin the current bill by allowing ONLY CCW holders to have firearms in their vehicle on school grounds.
Remember, this is ALL school grounds, not just the universities.
So a private school at the strip mall is included, the day-care centers, charter schools, etc.
Under current law you cannot have your firearm in your vehicle at ANY of those locations.
We need to get this bill passed without being limited to just CCW holders or just some schools.

There will be another hearing once the amendment is introduced.

Hansen, Fiore, and Wheeler among others asked good questions and made comments exposing the bias and lack of truth in the anti's claims.
Diaz is clearly biased against the bill, she takes up the anti's talking points for them.

Video of the hearing should be on-line in a few days.
Try to stay awake during the law students testimony, he supports the bill in a long winded way.

UPDATE:
Did the math, for 2013 reported vehicle break in's were .0007% of all vehicles on campus.
If this bill passes only a few vehicles will have firearms in them, the percentage likely to be broken into and a firearm stolen gets "Statistically irrelevant".
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#24]
It's not likely the people carrying in their car is going to have a neon sign saying Gun on board.
So how are the criminals going to know which vehicle's to rob and also it will be against the law because they didn't get a background check done before they stolen the guns.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#25]
The deadline to submit BDR's has now passed.
We should now be close to having a final count of how many bills we will be dealing with.
Some BDR's may not become bills, hopefully some of the really dumb ones get withdrawn.

We will soon see what the BDR's become as they are assigned actual bill numbers and final first draft text.
Once they have bill numbers they will also begin having their first hearings.

We need to pack the hearing rooms (That includes you folk in the south, "70% of the state population" as some like to remind the rest of us) both in support and particularly when opposing bills.

We will also have to be alert for "Zombie Bills", where bad bills we kill get resurrected via underhanded amendments and other fetid conniving.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Richard,

Thank you VERY much for the updates.  I know that you have made a concerted effort to share this important info.  

Is there an easy way to determine where and when an important hearing on a gun rights issue is going to be held?  Could you possibly do us an additional favor and give us a head's up?

When we got the last minute notice on the SB221 hearing, I know a lot of us made the effort to show up and testify.  I would be happy to do so again if I can plan ahead and move my work schedule around.  Maybe not every hearing but we all should do what we can.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Here is a link to check on bills.

You can sort several ways, such as by committee.
Once we have actual bill numbers we will be able to track them by their number, AB2, SB??, etc.
Good idea to try to check fairly often as we may get very little advance notice of a hearing.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELIS/REL/78th2015/Bills/List
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Attended three hearings this morning.
Expect some of these to be combined down the road.
Report follows.

First up was AB-139, CCW Reciprocity. 8:00 am.
Very simple single item bill.
Lots if support including NRA and NVFOC.
Even NVSCA was supportive as it would actually lighten their paperwork load.

Most folk who spoke were in Carson City, guy named Vernon and an older gal last name Clark? showed up in LV.

DPS gal Butler was "Neutral" but did say that it takes them five months and about a "Person half-year" to prepare the annual list of reciprocity states.
Currently only 14 qualify.

Overall went well, only two anti's, one of which was the local Bloom-Turd shill.
Appears likely to pass, but we need to pound the public comment line at NELIS.

SB-171, Reciprocity and Blue Card. 1:00
Bigger crowd, chairman Roberson laid out strict two-minute rule for speakers but was lax on it for opponents.
He seemed a bit inattentive at times when supporters spoke, not sure where he stands as he did also try to clarify points for the village idiot / racist, Senator Brown. ("so close to the anniversary of the Trayvon Martin murder"!)
Very similar to AB-139 so many of the same points were made.
Major issues of contention, CCW in other states may require less training than Nevada.
Some do not have 24-7 access to checking CCW validity.
And the very unlikely to be true claims by the anti's that other states issue CCW to varied criminals.
Hard to believe that any state is issuing CCW to criminals unless they are also being cleared by the Fed!
"Blue Card" looks like it is vulnerable!
Even Ron Pierini and NVSCA support it going away.
NRA and NVFOC testified in support of getting rid of it.
LOTS of testimony is support of dumping blue cards.
Should have been a lot more from LV.
Only real support for keeping the blue card was, no surprise, LV Metro!

AB-175, Long complicated bill, CCW  reciprocity, "Domestic Violence", Blue Card, and defining an occupied vehicle as being treated like your home regards "Castle Doctrine.

Being more complex it gave the anti's more opportunity to demonstrate that they are either intentionally misunderstanding the bill, are stupid, or deliberate liars!
I think the truth is all three.
If this had been a drinking game and the "Race Card" or mention of Tray-Tray Maaartin (Same thing) called for a drink everyone would have left shit-faced!
I've never seen so much racist BS in my life, ANYTHING goes to attempt to keep us from bolstering our CCW rights.
But it's all OK so long as the LGBT/People of color crowd are the ones doing it.

Very good testimony was given in support of the bill and it's several provisions.
The anti's were allowed to get away with all sorts of mischaracterizations, particularly claiming it is an expansion of "Stand Your Ground".
That fallacy was debunked in detail, but news 4 Reno still headlined their report with it.
I've called them out on that.
Sen. Brown appears to be the new Justin Jones, but more racist.
Made a stupid comment that this bill would endanger his nephews.
How, are they all carjackers?
LOTS of anti's showed up at the LV hearing room, only a few supporters.
We have to fix that for all future hearings!
I made a ton of notes but there was so much BS from the anti's side they are hard to keep strait.

We need to pound the NELIS comment page for this bill with ACCURATE FACTS to overcome the anti's irrational and misleading BS.
This bill appears to be in danger of being "Amended" to the point of being a waste of time.
Please support it as currently written with the exception of saying "Occupied Vehicle".

Being similar bills much testimony was repetitive, the pro side was calm and professional, the anti's were emotion driven factually challenged 'tards.

OK, I didn't mean to go off on a rant, but the SB-175 hearing was pretty disgusting for all the stupid shit and lies.
I may post more points once I have time to decipher my notes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Attended three hearings this morning.
Expect some of these to be combined down the road.
Report follows.

First up was AB-139, CCW Reciprocity. 8:00 am.
Very simple single item bill.
Lots if support including NRA and NVFOC.
Even NVSCA was supportive as it would actually lighten their paperwork load.

Most folk who spoke were in Carson City, guy named Vernon and an older gal last name Clark? showed up in LV.

DPS gal Butler was "Neutral" but did say that it takes them five months and about a "Person half-year" to prepare the annual list of reciprocity states.
Currently only 14 qualify.

Overall went well, only two anti's, one of which was the local Bloom-Turd shill.
Appears likely to pass, but we need to pound the public comment line at NELIS.

SB-171, Reciprocity and Blue Card. 1:00
Bigger crowd, chairman Roberson laid out strict two-minute rule for speakers but was lax on it for opponents.
He seemed a bit inattentive at times when supporters spoke, not sure where he stands as he did also try to clarify points for the village idiot / racist, Senator Brown. ("so close to the anniversary of the Trayvon Martin murder"!)
Very similar to AB-139 so many of the same points were made.
Major issues of contention, CCW in other states may require less training than Nevada.
Some do not have 24-7 access to checking CCW validity.
And the very unlikely to be true claims by the anti's that other states issue CCW to varied criminals.
Hard to believe that any state is issuing CCW to criminals unless they are also being cleared by the Fed!
"Blue Card" looks like it is vulnerable!
Even Ron Pierini and NVSCA support it going away.
NRA and NVFOC testified in support of getting rid of it.
LOTS of testimony is support of dumping blue cards.
Should have been a lot more from LV.
Only real support for keeping the blue card was, no surprise, LV Metro!

AB-175, Long complicated bill, CCW  reciprocity, "Domestic Violence", Blue Card, and defining an occupied vehicle as being treated like your home regards "Castle Doctrine.

Being more complex it gave the anti's more opportunity to demonstrate that they are either intentionally misunderstanding the bill, are stupid, or deliberate liars!
I think the truth is all three.
If this had been a drinking game and the "Race Card" or mention of Tray-Tray Maaartin (Same thing) called for a drink everyone would have left shit-faced!
I've never seen so much racist BS in my life, ANYTHING goes to attempt to keep us from bolstering our CCW rights.
But it's all OK so long as the LGBT/People of color crowd are the ones doing it.

Very good testimony was given in support of the bill and it's several provisions.
The anti's were allowed to get away with all sorts of mischaracterizations, particularly claiming it is an expansion of "Stand Your Ground".
That fallacy was debunked in detail, but news 4 Reno still headlined their report with it.
I've called them out on that.
Sen. Brown appears to be the new Justin Jones, but more racist.
Made a stupid comment that this bill would endanger his nephews.
How, are they all carjackers?
LOTS of anti's showed up at the LV hearing room, only a few supporters.
We have to fix that for all future hearings!
I made a ton of notes but there was so much BS from the anti's side they are hard to keep strait.

We need to pound the NELIS comment page for this bill with ACCURATE FACTS to overcome the anti's irrational and misleading BS.
This bill appears to be in danger of being "Amended" to the point of being a waste of time.
Please support it as currently written with the exception of saying "Occupied Vehicle".

Being similar bills much testimony was repetitive, the pro side was calm and professional, the anti's were emotion driven factually challenged 'tards.

OK, I didn't mean to go off on a rant, but the SB-175 hearing was pretty disgusting for all the stupid shit and lies.
I may post more points once I have time to decipher my notes.
View Quote

Thanks for everything, do you have the link for the NELIS comment section for this bill?

On a side note, here is how you email super easy.

Everyone should fill out their info, check "remember me" on the box at the bottom and then after you submit, click on the other bills listed on the right and send an email for that specific bill to pass as well. This will take you 2 minutes of time to do something pro active for gun rights in the state of NV!!
http://engage.nvfac.org/app/take-action?engagementId=78825
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Second post from the top has the link to NELIS.

Find the bill by number.
You can check it's status, next scheduled hearing, and click the link to leave your own comments.
We need to BURY the anti's with our support.

As today proved, Bloom-Turd is paying his shills to oppose us.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like they changed it from last time I was on there. I can find the bills and the hearings, but for the life of me cannot find a spot to leave a comment.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Had to go to the site map to find it.
Direct link here!

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/Opinions/78th2015/A/

EDIT to add a couple more comments.

One person pointed out that the Blue Card scheme is illegal under Fed. law per FOPA-86.
No comment on that from a committee with only two members who are not lawyers!

All you CC and former CC folk who have had issues withe the BC BS need to write up the incident and post it to the comments on these bills.
I recall guns that were refused registration for varied reasons, including that Metro has erroneously used the model number to register instead of the SN#.
Antique gun issues, imported gun issues, more.
There is also the issue of folk who have moved away but cannot get their BC records expunged.

LV Metro demanded that if the bill becomes law they are allowed five years to phase it out with no requirement to delete the current records. BOO - HISS, F'em!

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Had to go to the site map to find it.
Direct link here!

View Quote

Thanks, that looks more familiar to what I remember.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#34]
SB-141 and SB-176 Knife bill hearings are scheduled for Friday 2/27/15 at 1:00 pm.

It's not the 30's anymore, limiting what type of knife we can carry is just stupid.

EDIT to add: I posted DO PASS comments on both bills.
There are too few comments so far, we have until about 11:00 am to add more as the hearing is at 1:00 pm.
We are about 2 - 1 against the anti's, needs to be 5-1!
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I spoke in the committee for both bills.

The committee spent too much time joking about concealed machetes and why "tridents" were not mentioned. Apparently a Ron Burgundy joke.

Settlemeyer had an expert from Kniferights.org who was simply excellent. Gustafson had a guy from AKTI who could have been better.

Opposition came from LVMPD, WCSO, and the NV Sheriff's Association (I think) who were ok with people carrying handguns but terrified of whatever they think a dirk or dagger is. Rep from DPS said they were neutral.

In spite of that, Settlemeyer and the guy from Kniferights.org seemed to convince them that the switchblade ban was silly. We may actually win this one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I spoke in the committee for both bills.

The committee spent too much time joking about concealed machetes and why "tridents" were not mentioned. Apparently a Ron Burgundy joke.

Settlemeyer had an expert from Kniferights.org who was simply excellent. Gustafson had a guy from AKTI who could have been better.

Opposition came from LVMPD, WCSO, and the NV Sheriff's Association (I think) who were ok with people carrying handguns but terrified of whatever they think a dirk or dagger is. Rep from DPS said they were neutral.

In spite of that, Settlemeyer and the guy from Kniferights.org seemed to convince them that the switchblade ban was silly. We may actually win this one.
View Quote

Thanks a bunch for the update
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#37]
When I was in the trades I worked with some bad people and the one I remember the most is the guy that liked sharpened Screwdrivers to stick you with.

I read this once. Everyone has been cut at least once in their life so they are afraid of knives.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
When I was in the trades I worked with some bad people and the one I remember the most is the guy that liked sharpened Screwdrivers to stick you with.

I read this once. Everyone has been cut at least once in their life so they are afraid of knives.
View Quote

When I was 8 years old and living in NYC, an urban yoot who was 3 feet taller than me and a good ten years older, shoved a sharpened screwdriver into my left ear because I would not give up a 25 cent video arcade game when he asked.

That's how these animals get around laws, regardles of how restrictive they are.

To this day I have never campaigned for the banning of screwdrivers, either.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm on my way to testify on Nevada getting our public lands back from the Fed. at 3:30.

Gun bills tomorrow, but I will be out of town so I'm counting on some of you to be there.

Thursday will be a Campus Carry bill hearing.

Wednesday, March 4th

8:00am Assembly Judiciary
AB167 Firearms regulations for homes with foster children sponsored by Assemblywoman Fiore
Please contact legislators to support AB171, AB167 & AB148

3:15pm Assembly Education
AB121 "Pop-Tart" / Zero Tolerance sponsored Assemblyman Wheeler
Please contact legislators to support AB121

Thursday, March 5th
8:00am Assembly Judiciary
AB148 Campus Carry sponsored by Assemblywoman Fiore
(scheduled per Assemblywoman Fiore)
Please contact legislators to support AB171, AB167 & AB148
Please help us pack the room - Carson City Room 3138, Las Vegas Room TBD
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Guys, we need to PACK the hearing rooms in Carson and LV tomorrow morning.
It's time to ensure that Campus Carry passes THIS session.

We have no horrid anti-RKBA bills to fight except the Bloom-Turd "Initiative" which will really be at the next election.
We have R's in charge of both houses who are much more supportive of our RKBA than the D's ever are.

So it's time to go on the offensive and make real gains while we have the best chance to win passage of important bills.
We have a lot of pro-RKBA bills up this session, almost too many, but some will fall out as they are duplicates of each other.
I cannot go to every hearing so I'm counting on other folk here to back up the authors of the good bills and carry our message to the legislature.
Showing up in person makes a VERY strong statement, unlike the anti's we do not get paid for it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:21:37 AM EDT
[#41]
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/AppCF/Opinion/78th2015/vwComments.cfm?drpMenu=331

Anti's are hammering this bill for campus carry (AB148) right now. We hold a slight advantage in voting but they are gaining ground. Make sure you voted in favor of it and get others involved as well!

A person can only vote once, but you can use the same computer for your spouse to vote or anyone else who wants to get involved.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Listening to the hearing for AB148 (campus carry) right now. John Lott Jr. (lots of facts and stats to back up our position) and Amanda Collins both gave particularly compelling testimony. Also had testimony in support of the bill by the Washoe County Sheriff and even a UNR professor.

Opposition coming up shortly.

Assemblyman Ira Hansen called out Catherine Cortez Masto by asking her to produce some actual stats to back up her opposition to the bill. Awesome.

Most recent person w/ opposition testimony went on a tirade and personal attack on Michelle Fiore where Assemblyman Hansen had to interrupt her and get her to stay on topic. She was clearly emotional and was asked to provide data, of which she had none.

Common argument by opposition is the false argument that allowing CCW by lawful citizens will allow criminals to carry on campuses. WTF?

As suspected, opposition providing no data whatsoever, just irrational fears of guns.

One idiot speaking on behalf of opposition started making pro-gun arguments on accident. "Look at Norway, the guy wanted to kill people, and even with their laws... no laws would have stopped him"

I believe the hearing went very well for our side.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#43]
AB-148 "Campus Carry".

Two rooms packed in Carson City, could not see how many in LV.

Pro side started with Assemblywoman Fiore and professor John Lott.
Very detailed factual information, in context.
Statistics were backed with dates, places, and percentages rather than vague assertions.
Several states already have some degree of Campus Carry and NO issues.
CCW holders several (Six?) times more law abiding than cops!
No more statistically relevant increase in CCW holders bad behavior on campus than off campus.
No bystander ever shot by CCW holder, or any CCW holder shot by "First responders".
Wacko's go to great effort to pick gun free zones as their targets.
At least one professor risking her career to speak in support of AB-148.
Pretty much all the same common sense arguments that have been made in the past and we are all familiar with.

Anti's.
Mostly Cortez-Mastro (35 Min.!) and university employee's who were probably paid to be there parroting the official line.
Lots of "Students" present who apparently have no jobs or classes to attend to.
Anti's have the advantage of lots of free time and university (Taxpayer funded) support to organize.

Unsupported assertions and statistics without context or review are the theme of opponents to AB-148.
"78% of students polled oppose AB-148" (My % may not be exact but is close)
Notice no mention of HOW MANY were polled, WHERE the polling was done, or HOW THE QUESTION WAS PHRASED!

Unsubstantiated claims that tourist and students might be discouraged from attending school in Nevada if AB-148 is passed.
No mention of the tourist and students already not coming to Nevada due to the current restrictions!
Many tourist come from AZ,  UT, and other states where OC and CCW are at least as common as Nevada, if not more so

If I heard correctly, and I think I did, Cortez-Masto made statements that CCW in schools or guns on campus have never ended a mass shooting incident.
That is flat-out untrue!

Lots of hand-wringing over the claimed worry that a CCW holder might hit an innocent bystander, or be mistaken as the shooter and be shot by cops.
We have many more real world incidents than we would like to study those scenarios, and these worries have never happened.

NRS 218E.085
It is illegal to knowingly communicate false testimony to the legislative committee.
Does not seem to bother the anti's.

I particularly liked how at the end of the hearing Assemblywoman Fiore exposed the manner in which Cortez Mastro attempted to mislead the committee via omission of facts regarding the number of CCW holders granted permission to carry on campus.
Cortez-Mastro made it sound like almost half are granted.
In reality it's more like  5%, with very few applications submitted as likely applicants already know they will almost certainly be rejected.

Once again the anti's brought out irrelevant racist BS, "The Trayvon Murder", and  "I'm a 6'1" black man and I'm afraid I would be shot if some girl dropped her book!" (I had a hard time hearing the latter half of his statement but I think I have it correctly).
He then went on to ramble that he is (apparently) afraid of a people with guns in general. (And maybe his own shadow too? You had to hear him, and feel sorry for him, I hope he is getting professional help!)
Next another racist (Gal) went off the deep end and launched into a personal attack against Fiore, got stopped by Ira Hansen and went into disjointed emotion laden drivel with more unsupported assertions.

Another LV anti went on about "People with documented mental health and Bi-Polar issues" on campus "Being at increased risk" from people with CCW.
WTF!  Why are such people even ON campus to begin with?
Bi-Polar and documented mental health issues people are safe enough to have around but CCW qualified folk are not?

Anti's ended with claims that sex assault on campus is not really that much of an issue and that CCW would do more harm than good.
Totally ignoring the early testimony that spree shooters carefully select "Gun Free" zones for their mayhem as it does not fit the narrative they are trying to create.

Overall the entire testimony was a replay of decades of prior testimony on this issue and CCW - RKBA in general.
Amanda Collins had to relate her rape, again.
The university forces downplaying the deterrent effects of CCW while playing up the same sort of groundless fears we heard over a decade ago when "Shall Issue" CCW was under consideration.
The only real difference today is that fewer non-lobbyist got to speak and that anti's are clearly trying to redefine CCW - RKBA as a race issue with "People of color" constantly victimized.

A couple of days ago I realized that I have been publicly involved in RKBA/CCW issues in Nevada for a little over twenty years.
I am really hoping that this session will grant us some serious relief from some of the overbearing restrictions I saw imposed early on by anti-RKBA zealots such as Bernie Anderson (D-Sparks, deceased).
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:00:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Hit this poll at the bottom of the page

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada-legislature/nevada-rape-victim-tells-her-story-gun-campus-carry-hearing
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:29:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Poll is at 50/50, needs to be hit hard and often to fix that.

I watched the KTVN evening news (11:00) just to see how honest their report on AB-148 would be.
It wasn't, they biased the report by leaving out any mention of campus CCW being a deterrent to mass shootings.
But they did have time to show stock footage of someone qualifying at a range.

I tried to call them out on it, had to leave a message.
I also left my number, doubt I will get a call back.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#46]
http://knprnews.org/post/gun-control-advocate-speaks-against-campus-carry-bill

http://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/gun-free-zones-put-innocent-danger
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#47]
How freakin stupid are these people? Why do I keep seeing comments like this regarding AB148?

Some of those baring arms may not have the proper clearance to have a permit or be mentally capable of having such weapons in their possession. This is putting my self as a student and my student at an unnecessary risk!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:53:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How freakin stupid are these people? Why do I keep seeing comments like this regarding AB148?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some of those baring arms may not have the proper clearance to have a permit or be mentally capable of having such weapons in their possession. This is putting my self as a student and my student at an unnecessary risk!

That's the type of response you get when Soros money goes to street urchins to post "Against" opinions and senseless rants.

They can't even structure a sentence or spell and most of the people against the bill aren't Nevada residents or students.

Go figure.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:29:24 AM EDT
[#49]
We saw this same sort of whoring out of bussed in useful idiots and it's ready acceptance by the press-titutes last year for SB221.

This is a preview of what we will face next fall.

We have to get our act together.
Bloom-turd has $$$ and willing fools, but they have no real zeal for the cause, without being paid they would run back to their parents.

The last couple of years have shown that Bloomy CAN be beat if the home team defenders have the passion to keep up the fight.
Unlike some other states we have a fairly long advance notice, no blind-side surprise here.

So it's turn out for hearings this spring, and organize for fall of 2015.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#50]

SB143 is Constitutional Carry, vote in favor of it on here. Antis are hammering it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top