Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2014 2:30:18 AM EDT
Hey all, so fam and I currently call Iowa home. I am starting to REALLY get tired of this states BS. The lack of really anything to do, no where to explore. I want to go hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, exploring with the wife and daughter. See gorgeous sites, and be able to enjoy the great outdoors.

How are the jobs in the area? Currently I work in manufacturing, but have a background in military LE, specifically Air Force security forces.

Also, if you live in the area, if you could post pics, i would greatly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 2:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
What area are you looking at? North and south are two totally differant animals.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 2:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What area are you looking at? North and south are two totally differant animals.
View Quote

Reno area, not sure exactly where
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:13:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Can you be more specific?

Lots of manufacturing here in the north.
MUCH more coming once Tesla gets their battery factory going even if never gets as large as they claim it will.

If you are genuinely good at CAD there is no shortage of work.
Lots of other fields begging for well qualified applicants with a decent work ethic.

We need growth OUTSIDE LV-Clark County!
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

MUCH more coming once Tesla gets their battery factory going even if never gets as large as they claim it will.

Lots of other fields begging for well qualified applicants with a decent work ethic.

View Quote

More specific as in? Currently a machine operator for Parker Hannifin, specifically hose products division, we build hydrolic and air hose. Nothing too fancy. However, I have a great work ethic, just want a job that I get some satisfaction out of every day. Good pay helps
Willing to try just about anything and a quick learner.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:55:53 AM EDT
[#5]
CNC operator skills?

Generally fairly good job opportunities if you are healthy and fairly young to go with the good work ethic.
Good math and English skills still count too for the better paying jobs.

Over mid-40's gets tougher.
Our unemployment rate is still higher than the national average, but we also have a lot of folk that do not seem serious about getting a job.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#6]
OP,

Contact Guido1 from New Frontier Armory here on the board.

You can move to Las Vegas, and be a CNC operator manufacturing guns.

-Joe
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#7]
"Reno" has a lot of warehouse jobs.  I put quotes because a good number are outside town off USA Parkway about 20 minutes from Sparks.  Look up Hamilton company.  They make a bunch of different stuff that they might be able to use you for.  The website photo is WAY doctored to make the mountains look about 10 times closer.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#8]
You will be divorced in a year moving to Nevada
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You will be divorced in a year moving to Nevada
View Quote

Not sure I understand this?

I moved to NN to be with a guy, also to get away from gloom and rain of the Pacific Northwest (and the excess of people, liberals in particular).  Have had the opportunity to jump ship and relocate, decided to stay put.  
Love this place.  Might be better places, but this suits me fine.  Landscape is amazing, although stark at times.  Some of the most spectacular places are tucked away in the mountains here.

OP - plenty of places to explore, especially if you and the wife enjoy the outdoors and don't expect all the amenities at your campsite.  So much of this state is publicly owned and (mostly) free to explore.

I'll try to post pics I have of the Owyhee country shortly.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#10]
This was taken from Mahogany Ridge looking west.  Was kind of a hazy day...  

This one was coming down the west side of that ridge looking out at Goosy Flats.

The Calicos.

Sage Grouse.

Deer.

My backyard

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Was going to post pics of Quakey groves up in the Santa Rosas... boyfriend said we don't share the really pretty pictures.  The joke we have is that all the main roads go through moonscape looking land - it keeps folks out of here.

Don't have anything of stuff up in the Sierras, which you would be close to if you land in Reno.  Some might consider that to be even prettier country.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#12]
If you like exploring hit me up after your settled in if you make the move. I can take you guys to some really cool abandoned mining camps. I moved here 4 years ago and all my friends I have I meet right here in the home town forum.  Bunch of jerks if you ask me. But their all right. I have never regretted moving here.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:07:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was going to post pics of Quakey groves up in the Santa Rosas... boyfriend said we don't share the really pretty pictures.  The joke we have is that all the main roads go through moonscape looking land - it keeps folks out of here.

Don't have anything of stuff up in the Sierras, which you would be close to if you land in Reno.  Some might consider that to be even prettier country.
View Quote

Lizzard, thanks for the pics. Absolutely gorgeous area!!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:09:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys. I have no CNC experience, but have always been fascinated with them, our local CC doesnt have a class either or i would take it in a heart beat. I currently run rubber extruders, so its a lot of ratios, and kind of working with the machine to get things perfect. Lots of taking measurements with a mic, etc.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:32:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If you like exploring hit me up after your settled in if you make the move. I can take you guys to some really cool abandoned mining camps. I moved here 4 years ago and all my friends I have I meet right here in the home town forum.  Bunch of jerks if you ask me. But their all right. I have never regretted moving here.
View Quote
What would we do without all these jerks anyway? Besides, all our friends are here.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:Best friend is trying to get me to move the family to Nevada
View Quote

Not much of a friend.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#17]
If your a deer hunter don't even consider it!   Hunting in this state is a pain in the ass.  A tag every few years if your lucky.  I know many people who don't draw for 5-6 years at a stretch.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
But, our deer are three times the size of those little goats they have back east!
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If your a deer hunter don't even consider it!   Hunting in this state is a pain in the ass.  A tag every few years if your lucky.  I know many people who don't draw for 5-6 years at a stretch.
View Quote

That's me.

But I'm picky about areas.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

More specific as in? Currently a machine operator for Parker Hannifin, specifically hose products division, we build hydrolic and air hose. Nothing too fancy. However, I have a great work ethic, just want a job that I get some satisfaction out of every day. Good pay helps
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know if they do any manufacturing here or if it is all east coast, but Dayco has a facility here.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Moving here to Nevada was the best move I ever made so I would recommend it to you. As long as the summers aren't more than you can deal with then I think it will be a positive move. In fact the only time I hate the Vegas area is when I have to leave for some reason. Then you really notice how boring the rest of the country is after dark. For off roading and hunting I would stay in northern Nevada but I can't say enough good things about being down here in Henderson.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Switch SuperNAP is always looking for good ex-service members for the security operations. They are going to be opening another facility early next year as well. They use Orion International to fill many of their open positions. From what I hear a good place to work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I would council against Nevada - even in the north.  This state is so anti-economic growth it is staggering.  This state is run by gangs - political ones.  For the best opportunities and the ability to actually raise kids Texas would be a lot better.  West Texas is still looking for smart people.

Several things contribute the high cost of living here.
The lack of land here is one of the big driver for inflation of housing.
The politicos here lie on a fairly predictable basis, R or D doesn't matter.  Anywhere you go it will be an ongoing political fight but in Texas not quite so hard.  Nevada is almost a lost cause.  The political payoffs are going to be the stuff of legend - on par with Boss Tweed
Californians and other west coast people coming and bringing their politics with them.

Nevada has lots of good people, the state stinks.  The schools are 51st in the country with a budget of 2.5billion dollars.  We rank highest in unemployment and almost highest in retail vacancy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#24]
^^ the schools next to my house are all rated 9/10.  the school system gets a bad rap because of the vegas school system but up north there are some really good schools.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#25]
If the kids in your neighborhood are dumber than a box of rocks your schools will get a bad rap no matter how good they are
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top