Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2014 9:10:45 PM EDT
Decided to make the rounds to a few gun stores the other day to see what was new and also get some more info about building an AR pistol.

The first store told me that I didn't need to register the lower as a pistol anymore.  Didn't really explain why very clearly, but told me not to worry about it.  The clerk at the next store was kind enough to give me copy of the LV Metro's letter regarding not registering them as pistols anymore.  I understand their thinking on this ruling and I'm not looking to debate it here.

By the time I got to the third store, one that I had done business with in the past, I had formulated a question that applied to me.  I had purchased a couple of stripped Bushmaster AR lowers from them quite a few years ago.  I said, "If I can purchase a lower out of the case today, take it home, and build an AR pistol without it being registered as a pistol.  Can I just use one of the lowers I have sitting in the safe"?  The clerks answer was, YES.

Now after a little more research and searching the Archives, I see that the ATF pretty clearly defines what makes a rifle and what makes a pistol.  And I get that a rifle will always be a rifle and that a Pistol can be a pistol or a rifle (as long as it meets rifle requirements and does not become an SBR without registering it as such).  And they will always be one or the other from day one.

However, is the clerks comment correct?  Example, I have a 10 year old lower in the safe.  Regardless if it is still stripped or not, I assume it should be considered a rifle.  Because it was purchased prior to April 2013, if I build it for the first time and declare it a pistol today, it would have had to have been registered as a pistol because of it's age.  

So I assume if I want to build a pistol, I'm going to have to purchase something new.  Just wish it could be registered as a pistol to make it a little more clear cut in the ATF's eyes.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#2]
the paperwork on it when purchased would show other/receiver. unless maybe you specified otherwise to get a bluecard on it then or something.

the atfs definition of a pistol is different than clark counties definition of a firearm capable of being concealed.

as are the 4473s and blue card registration scheme.

you shouldn't worry about anything if you wish to build a receiver you purchased as a stripped receiver in to a pistol or a rifle.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll sum it up quickly.

No registering pistols in CC, you already have a copy of that letter from the clerk at one of the stores you went to.  Thats true.

As far as ATF goes, when you buy a STRIPPED RECEIVER  Its a receiver, not a pistol or a rifle, just a receiver so a stripped receiver you bought years ago was sold as a receiver which can be built into either without any hassle.

And.....for my dose of NOT LEGAL ADVICE..........at the end of the day, ATF doesn't know if you build it into a rifle and then back into a pistol, and back to a rifle again or vice versa since all they know you own is a stripped receiver that was neither a rifle nor a pistol.
View Quote

Thanks guys.  So correct me if I am wrong, but there is no cross reference between how (or if) it is registered between the "State/County" and the "ATF".   Since it was neither to the ATF I was concerned about how the County might have viewed it as either a rifle or a pistol and if that would play into the ATF's determination.

As far as CC is concerned, I can build it as a pistol I just can no longer register it as a pistol?  As far as the ATF is concerned, as long as it meets the pistol requirement today, it is a pistol?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Would I be correct in saying that as long as Question 18 on the 4473 was checked as Other Firearm instead of Long Gun , that you are good to go for building it as a pistol ?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would I be correct in saying that as long as Question 18 on the 4473 was checked as Other Firearm instead of Long Gun , that you are good to go for building it as a pistol ?
View Quote

They arent allowed to check long gun on a receiver so if they are doing so they need to be corrected.

All that legally matters is how it left the manufacturer so if push comes to shove that is the info you would need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top