Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2014 5:11:58 PM EDT
I was talking to a buddy. He was telling me we have wild hogs. Obviously not in the numbers like back east. True? Where? Are they considered a pest by NDOW (i.e. no tags needed)? Why did I not know this?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't heard of any but I live in the south. If there are any, the would be coming from CA and would probably be along the border somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]
So it sounds like it may have some bs on this guys part. I wish I could recall who my wife and I were talking to...
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Private ranch, so you need permission which the owner does grant to some folk on a seasonal basis.
I think you may need an introduction, and perhaps to demonstrate that you can tell a feral hog from a cow.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Private ranch, so you need permission which the owner does grant to some folk on a seasonal basis.
I think you may need an introduction, and perhaps to demonstrate that you can tell a feral hog from a cow.
View Quote

Do you have any more details? I'd love to go get myself some wild bacon.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Rumor that's been going around for years.  
I've talked to a lot of ranchers in and around Orvada/Paradise Valley, Fallon, and Yerington...all areas you would be most likely to run across a wild hog here in Nevada.  Nobody's ever shot one, or seen pics of one shot in Northern Nevada.
I would love to hunt them here in Nevada, but I think it's just hopeful thinking that they are here...
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have seen a few wild looking hogs roaming downtown Reno before, but I wasn't too comfortable being within handgun range...I just let them walk on by.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately Dean Swift who was going to introduce me died suddenly after being punctured by a buck's antler after he got too close too soon.
I used to have the ranchers phone number, several years ago.
As I said, it's a seasonal thing as he only lets hunters on the land when the cows are not grazing it.
NDOW may know who he is.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Years ago, between I-15 and Bowman Reservoir I pulled over to look around in that tall stuff, there was a clear game trail, and I swear I heard heard some, got spooked and ran back to truck.
I was pretty skeptical, but it did seem possible there.
I have seen a Badger, so they do exist in Nevada even though that is somewhat disputed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Years ago, between I-15 and Bowman Reservoir I pulled over to look around in that tall stuff, there was a clear game trail, and I swear I heard heard some, got spooked and ran back to truck.
I was pretty skeptical, but it did seem possible there.
I have seen a Badger, so they do exist in Nevada even though that is somewhat disputed.
View Quote

Plenty of badgers in Nevada. Never heard of that being disputed before.

As far as pigs on a ranch....
Unless he is running some serious hog fence to keep them put, there will be hogs off his property as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#10]
As I recall he would be just fine with their being eradicated as they do/did a lot of damage.
No fence and mostly hang around the "Bottoms".
Of course after so many years he may have gotten his wish and they may be gone.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't dispute it. I have shot lots of them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The badger is the one animal I shoot on sight.

When I was 4-5 years old, my dad would turn me loose with the 10/22 and a box of 50 rounds while we went out hunting. He wouldn't give me a magazine so that I had to single load it, and it would help teach me to aim. One day we were out duck hunting, and we weren't going very good on ducks. He was back at the truck doing something, and here is 4-5 year old me, tromping around near this pond in my boots, shooting dried up dirt clots, and other targets of opportunity. Low and behold, I see a badger. I remembered that my dad always shot them, and said they destroyed the ranchers field, so I was gonna make him proud and kill me a badger with my single shot 10/22

It was walking about 30 yards away, and I shot it mid body. It sorta turned and snarled, then picked up it's pace. I reloaded and shot it again, this time it seemed sorta pissed off. I decided a headshot was in order, and that definitely pissed it off. It turned and started chasing after me. I started running back to the truck, dragging my 10/22 by the barrel and screaming for my dad at the top of my lungs. He came out of the truck with the Model 12 shot it with the two in the gun, then finished it with his Ithaca 1911.

Ever since them, fuck badgers

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#13]
^ LOL
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#14]
It's my understanding that if there were feral hogs in Nevada they wouldn't be legal to hunt. The pigs don't fall under the purview of NDOW but the Nevada Department of Agriculture which doesn't allow for hunting of "domesticated" animals released into the wild.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#15]
That is a very good point.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When I was 4-5 y...

...it with his Ithaca 1911.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/meestermurphy/media/BC3BF978-A78D-4E73-BA46-E74444E379A4_zpszebazeiz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/meestermurphy/BC3BF978-A78D-4E73-BA46-E74444E379A4_zpszebazeiz.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was 4-5 y...

...it with his Ithaca 1911.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/meestermurphy/media/BC3BF978-A78D-4E73-BA46-E74444E379A4_zpszebazeiz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/meestermurphy/BC3BF978-A78D-4E73-BA46-E74444E379A4_zpszebazeiz.jpg</a>

I seem to remember a debate about Sierra Nevada badger and wether or not it was extinct. It was about three years ago. Some wildlife cam caught a picture of one. I'll see if I can find more information.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok, my mistake, it was six years ago and a wolverine. Has anyone ever seen a wolverine in the Sierra Nevada range?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Wolverine are planned to be, or have already been, "Reintroduced" to the Sierras by the Fed.
I heard their plan in person many years ago.

Waiting for some kid to get tore up by one and what the bunny-hugger eco-nuts will say about it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's my understanding that if there were feral hogs in Nevada they wouldn't be legal to hunt. The pigs don't fall under the purview of NDOW but the Nevada Department of Agriculture which doesn't allow for hunting of "domesticated" animals released into the wild.
View Quote

So maybe efforts to eradicate feral hogs on ones own private property come under livestock management rather than "Hunting"?
Dean got some but it's been a long time ago now.

Or just maybe in this case, NDOW or NDA is content to leave the rancher alone as to what he does on his own land?
Maybe they don't want the hogs to spread on to other lands?
Yah, I know, leaving a rancher alone seems unlikely for any modern LE agency.
Now that the topic has come up publicly maybe they will Bundy him, send in some snipers and helicopters to impound the hogs, levy insane fines, and "Teach him a lesson".
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#20]
When I was a kid our backyard neighbors raised sheep. There was a pack wild dogs that kept taking his stock at night. He got permission from the sheriff's department to shoot any strange dogs on his property...
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

But if they are wild hogs jumping the border from CA, wouldn't that be a different story?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#22]
http://www.huntwildpig.com/state-specifics/nevada-pig-hunting/

Wild hogs are not considered to be a game animal in Nevada. Although feral hogs are not regulated by The Nevada Department of Wildlife, they are considered property of the State, and are controlled by the Nevada Department of Agriculture.

During an interview with a senior biologist from the Department of Agriculture, it was found that hunting, trapping, or removing the feral hogs is illegal and could be considered grand larceny. The department considers the feral pigs as “Estray” livestock. You can read more detailed legislature on NDA page.
Feral pigs are not really established in Nevada.  The only areas that Nevada is aware of having small pockets of feral pigs, are in Paradise Valley and the Mesquite area, with some extension along the river.  During 2011, feral hogs caused a reported $4,000 in damage, mostly to hayfields (as reported to the Department of Agriculture office).  Something important to point out, is that pigs (feral or not) require suitable habitat.  Heat and drought are not conducive for their emigration/immigration, as such, not many feral hogs are considered to be residing in Nevada according to the Department.

After speaking with a US Forest Service biologist in Humboldt County, NV, they had conflicting information concerning feral pigs, considering them to be unprotected on federal land, and not needing permission to hunt them… Although, they have no wild pigs reported in Humboldt National Forest.

There was another report stating that there was a feral population that was accidentally released by a farmer in Nevada that was sponsoring big game hunts for the pigs, but that has not been confirmed and is just a rumor.

All in all, wild pig hunting in Nevada seems to be a fruitless endeavor. With other States having a healthy population of feral swine, (with full support from the state to hunt them) it seems a better choice to avoid the state altogether at this time. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

Nevada Department of Agriculture at 775-353-3600.

Nevada Department of Wildlife  928-856-0724
View Quote

surprised we don't have a bunch running wild in the las vegas wash and wetlands coming from the pig farm in north las vegas
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#23]
There's plenty of wild hogs down here along the Virgin River. Me and my partner did a guided hunt (private property) in Littlefield years ago.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There's plenty of wild hogs down here along the Virgin River. Me and my partner did a guided hunt (private property) in Littlefield years ago.
View Quote

Thats where I was talking about, almost, Muddy River
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Rumor that's been going around for years.  
I've talked to a lot of ranchers in and around Orvada/Paradise Valley, Fallon, and Yerington...all areas you would be most likely to run across a wild hog here in Nevada.  Nobody's ever shot one, or seen pics of one shot in Northern Nevada.
I would love to hunt them here in Nevada, but I think it's just hopeful thinking that they are here...
View Quote

I grew up east of Vista Blvd up by Northern Nevada Medical Center. I was leaving for high school one day when some movement caught my eye. A pig (lost pet or wild, I have no idea) calmly walked between two houses, crossed the street and continued up the hill no more than 50 yards from me. About the size of a large dog and black with some white spots.

We had a lot of deer and coyotes come down off the hill, but the pig was a new one for me. Only saw it once - and I used to spend a bunch of time in those hills.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm in Lincoln county and while state officials will deny that there are feral hogs here I have friends that have taken them on private property near Panaca. The last one taken was 250lbs. I myself have went out on several occasions and seen plenty of sign in the hay fields they take  to rooting in. I have read the above prohibition on hunting the feral game  I haven't talked to NDA officials but I approached an NDOW officer about it. The NDOW officer said have at them they don't care. We can even use spotlights if we want to.  We assume these hogs have made their way up from the Mesquite area are but are not sure.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm in Lincoln county and while state officials will deny that there are feral hogs here I have friends that have taken them on private property near Panaca. The last one taken was 250lbs. I myself have went out on several occasions and seen plenty of sign in the hay fields they take  to rooting in. I have read the above prohibition on hunting the feral game  I haven't talked to NDA officials but I approached an NDOW officer about it. The NDOW officer said have at them they don't care. We can even use spotlights if we want to.  We assume these hogs have made their way up from the Mesquite area are but are not sure.
View Quote

I have a friend with a place between caliente and panaca that says the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

When I was 4-5 years old, my dad would turn me loose with the 10/22 and a box of 50 rounds while we went out hunting. He wouldn't give me a magazine so that I had to single load it, and it would help teach me to aim. One day we were out duck hunting, and we weren't going very good on ducks. He was back at the truck doing something, and here is 4-5 year old me, tromping around near this pond in my boots, shooting dried up dirt clots, and other targets of opportunity. Low and behold, I see a badger. I remembered that my dad always shot them, and said they destroyed the ranchers field, so I was gonna make him proud and kill me a badger with my single shot 10/22

It was walking about 30 yards away, and I shot it mid body. It sorta turned and snarled, then picked up it's pace. I reloaded and shot it again, this time it seemed sorta pissed off. I decided a headshot was in order, and that definitely pissed it off. It turned and started chasing after me. I started running back to the truck, dragging my 10/22 by the barrel and screaming for my dad at the top of my lungs. He came out of the truck with the Model 12 shot it with the two in the gun, then finished it with his Ithaca 1911.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you arent a good shot then
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I was going to refer you guys to the "Depot" here in Fallon, but those aren't the kind of "hogs" you are looking for.......
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Some like this up around Battle Mountain:

ETA:  Just hit up a nearby Walmart and you'll find plenty.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2BKrRIYLluQ/TtOVsZHtcrI/AAAAAAAAAeI/PITef6Xsxpw/s1600/FatGirl.jpg

View Quote

You told me that you never let her in your motel room.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I can assure you there are wild hogs approx 30 miles north of Pioche just south of Patterson's pass - because we just saw several this last week at approximately 4am off the 93.  We were heading out to get in place before dawn for elk hunting when my dad casually said wow that is one fat ass doe.  I looked and immediately hit the brakes.  There were several hogs trotting across the road right by the Mule Shoe turnoff heading east into the sage.  The hotel owner in Pioche said she has seen several in town at night.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2BKrRIYLluQ/TtOVsZHtcrI/AAAAAAAAAeI/PITef6Xsxpw/s1600/FatGirl.jpg

Fat chicks, scooters, and all that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was going to refer you guys to the "Depot" here in Fallon, but those aren't the kind of "hogs" you are looking for.......
View Quote

Hogs in space for the win. Northern NV is lacking feral pigs, while southern NV not so much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top