Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2014 10:43:22 AM EDT
So we took a trip to the ocean last month, Huntington Beach. I did notice the signs then the toll structure built across the roadway, and the phone number, web site, no toll booths to pay, pay online, etc. Forgot about it. Got a letter in the mail from The Toll Roads on the violation, two tolls that have expired, $3.75 and $2.85 - plus $57.50 penalties, each - $115.00 total! Fuck me. Pay by 10/16 $121.59. Pay after 10/16 $206.59. Date vehicle subject to vehicle registration lien 11/06/14.

Thought I'd pay it online. Bonus. Since I paid online with cc, got an amnesty on the two penalties and only paid $6.59.

Now I know.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what the Notice of Toll Evasion says. There's even a non-liability affidavit thing on the back where you can swear it wasn't you or someone stole your car or you lost it in the sun, or it wasn't your glove, etc., etc., etc.

I've never heard of a CA toll evasion lien on a NV registration - though it sounds legit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The same thing happened to me. My stupid in car gps took me down those toll roads. I paid one online while my wife was driving but I guess we wound up taking two more. It was confusing as hell since I thought we paid it. I just got the notice in the mail yesterday. BTW I hate California.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Write letters to the destinations the toll roads lead to and tell them you will not return so long as the toll road operates.
The business start to perceive a loss of revenue, they lean on the county, and the toll roads may go away.
At the least there will be some hesitation to create more.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Write letters to the destinations the toll roads lead to and tell them you will not return so long as the toll road operates.
The business start to perceive a loss of revenue, they lean on the county, and the toll roads may go away.
At the least there will be some hesitation to create more.
View Quote

That ain't gonna happen. The 91 express lanes were only supposed to be toll lanes until bonds were paid off. Now they are paid they are pure gravy.  If you think the gov is giving up a revenue stream you are delusional. Remember the $15 NICS fee for gun purchases in NV was only supposed to be temporary?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:13:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Duh, Fastrak and The Toll Roads are not free.

That being said, fuck them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Driving at speed, I kept looking for the out of state vehicles do not pay. Didn't see it of course, but the doubt in my mind stuck and the thought went straight to the circular file, written over six times with x's and o's, forwards and backwards. Garmin needs a route around toll road feature.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I contacted DMV Nevada and just got this response:

Christopher Walker  

10/01/2014 at 9:49 AM
[email protected]'

Good day,

In Nevada, the only situations that can suspend your registration are if you have a lapse of your Nevada insurance, or if your vehicle is reported as a smoking vehicle.

Out of state toll fines will not affect your Nevada registration.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Chris Walker
DMV Technician II
Central Services Division
Call Center

NV DMV,

Greetings. Can a CA The Toll Roads toll fee and penalty fee cause a NV DMV registration lien?

This happened last month, when we took a trip from Henderson to Huntington Beach. I had forgotten about the two tolls (no toll booths, only signs and cameras) and got the notice today - $6.59 for two tolls, $115 in penalties.

I did pay online and they forgave the penalties, so I only paid $6.59.

Sincerely,
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Another option is this and I know people that use it for some parking tickets where DMV is notified.

Go to DMV and get a new plate. That way, when they send over the request to put a lien or hold, the plate is no longer valid.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:12:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I was there in July.  GPS was directing me to the toll roads, but I skipped them.  I guess it was a good thing.  My estimated travel times didn't change but a few minutes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#11]
A toll road without a tollbooth, and you can not pay cash.  That is happening here.  I wonder how the courts (yeah like it will ever get to that point) would rule?

Besides the .gov is missing an opportunity to "create" living wage union jobs for toll takers; slow down traffic which would encourage people to use public transit; which would "create" more living wage jobs for bus drivers and maintenance, etc.  In turn the unions would make donations to their politicians.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A toll road without a tollbooth, and you can not pay cash.  That is happening here.  I wonder how the courts (yeah like it will ever get to that point) would rule?

Besides the .gov is missing an opportunity to "create" living wage union jobs for toll takers; slow down traffic which would encourage people to use public transit; which would "create" more living wage jobs for bus drivers and maintenance, etc.  In turn the unions would make donations to their politicians.
View Quote

State of California removed LOTS toll booths a year or two ago.  You want to drive across a bridge and pay cash they might have one or two spots that take cash. Courts would rule State law is legal. The State has created an opportunity to collect the same revenue and cut expenses. Much like the $15 minimum wage burger flippers will see, or similar to self-checkout stations at stores.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:44:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I think they're all bullshit. Got popped by one in Seattle.

I would be tempted to just run without a plate and see if I can make it
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:44:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Paper DEALER plates over the real ones for that stretch of road!

From a dealer in a town where you do not reside.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Paper DEALER plates over the real ones for that stretch of road!

From a dealer in a town where you do not reside.
View Quote

good idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top