Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 10:29:11 PM EDT
Hello Nevada folks,

The better half is looking into a few job opportunities in Reno/Sparks.  I wanted to see if anyone could give me an honest assessment of the Sparks/Reno area.  Places to avoid, fun places to visit, cost of living, housing and such.  How bad is the job market?  The wife is an RN (Masters Degree in Nursing) and I am finishing up my second degree in Accounting.

Btw we are both gun owners and will vote accordingly!

Thank You!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Job opportunities for RN's are good. The 3 major employers in that field are Renown Health, Northern Nevada Medical, and St. Mary's. All 3 have multiple listings for RN positions...

Renown

Northern Nevada

St. Mary's

Don't know about accounting jobs. Housing is affordable compared to CA, lots of open space that seems to be shrinking since developers get to build wherever they want but it's still livable here:)
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Sparks is a nice area. I'm not sure if there are any bad spots in sparks. I haven't seen any. I came from L.A. a few years back so to me the cost of living is way cheap. By the way op.... We kind of have a rule here in NN that anytime a new arfcommer moves here you have to take us out for a round of beers.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Btw we are both gun owners and will vote accordingly!

View Quote

Screw Sparks, we need you down here in SoNV to counteract all the libtard Californians that have infested us.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome!!.  Sparks is one of the better areas to live in in the region in my opinion.  Downtown or old sparks can have it's moments but Spanish springs or wingfield springs are very nice areas.  I live near the Costco and absolutely love it.  everything you need is right here in our little valley with no need to go more than 5 minutes form home unless you want to.  Three main hospitals plus the VA for your wife to look at.  For you the pickings are a little slimmer but there are still jobs.  My wife is also an accountant.  Check out the public utilities especially NV energy.  I know they have a few accounting openings and pay better than many in the area.  In sparks you are 45-60 minutes from skiing/ mountains/ fishing.  About 20 minutes to the county range but if you don't like ranges there are plenty of open areas to shoot.  Short day trips can be Virginia city, apple hill, ghost towns, hiking, skiing and all kinds of stuff.  There is a organized competition shoot almost every weekend day during the month within a hour drive.  Cost of living is good.  Gas is a little more expensive than further south in Carson city but still not too bad.  Housing is on it's way up but still some really good deals to be had. (one for sale on my street, could always use a friendly neighbor ).  The industrial park outside of town (largest in the world) just got a few new very big occupants so projected to have 15,000-20,000 new jobs in the area just from that in the next few years.

Overall my wife and I both love sparks.  The region always has 5 different things to chose from to do on any given day, the weather is sunshine 300+ days a year and the people are great.  If you have any specific questions just let me or any of the other folks on here know.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm up in Spanish Springs by the airport and it's like heaven.
Public land with several shooting spots lessthan 5 minutes from my front door, so I can shoot twice a week.
Cost of Living is not bad compared to CA, but higher than other parts of the country.
Job market is improving. Housing market is climbing again.
Hiking, biking, ATV trails are all over, 45 minutes from Tahoe, this area is one of the best kept secrets in the country.

Some of Old Sparks and parts of Reno can be a litle thuggish, but nothing to really worry about.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the great info.  We are definitely liking what we are hearing and are hoping things open up for us there.  If so, I will definitely be up for buying a few rounds of beer.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:07:08 AM EDT
[#7]
West Reno here.....
+1 on all post so far
I like Ucorps  rule about the beer!  So much, He should get the second round........and Ill buy the third

any takers for the fourth
lol
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll be in for round four.  Anything to bring another like minded person to our little area.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I like Sparks. Need to start looking for a house myself and will probably start there.

We have a good crew in northern Nevada and while we dont get together as often as we should they are good people.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I like Sparks. Need to start looking for a house myself and will probably start there.

We have a good crew in northern Nevada and while we dont get together as often as we should they are good people.
View Quote

Range day at my hill, Sunday Oct 19. Will be doing the reddit match. http://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/2ieypt/pistol_match_october_2014/  more matches in the sidebar, I'll print a small stack of each.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Range day at my hill, Sunday Oct 19. Will be doing the reddit match. http://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/2ieypt/pistol_match_october_2014/  more matches in the sidebar, I'll print a small stack of each.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just don't like giving advanced notice do you? Did you at least make a new thread in Hometown??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top